GDT: Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics (CONTAINS SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Figured we could give it it's own thread. Roster discussion, medal predictions, and other things like that while we wait for the games.

Broadcast Schedule:

The full preliminary round:

Date|Game| Time (ET)| Live TV|Score
Wed, Feb. 12| Czech Republic vs. Sweden | 12 p.m. |USA|4-2
Wed, Feb. 12 |Latvia vs. Switzerland |12 p.m. |MSNBC|1-0
Thu, Feb. 13 | Finland vs. Austria| 3 a.m.| NBCSN|8-4
Thu, Feb. 13| Russia vs. Slovenia| 7:30 a.m.| MSNBC|5-2
Thu, Feb. 13| Slovakia vs. United States | 7:30 a.m.| NBCSN|7-1
Thu, Feb. 13 | Canada vs. Norway| 12 p.m.| USA|3-1
Fri, Feb. 14| Czech Republic vs. Latvia| 3 a.m.| MSNBC|4-2
Fri, Feb. 14| Sweden vs. Switzerland| 7:30 a.m.| NBCSN|1-0
Fri, Feb. 14| Canada vs. Austria| 12 p.m. |USA|
Fri, Feb. 14| Norway vs. Finland| 12 p.m.| MSNBC|
Sat, Feb. 15 |Slovakia vs. Slovenia| 3 a.m. |MSNBC|
Sat, Feb. 15| United States vs. Russia| 7:30 a.m.| NBCSN|
Sat, Feb. 15 |Switzerland vs. Czech Rep |12 p.m.| NBCSN|
Sat, Feb. 15| Sweden vs. Latvia| 12 p.m.| USA|
Sun, Feb. 16 |Austria vs. Norway |3 a.m. |USA|
Sun, Feb. 16 |Russia vs. Slovakia| 7:30 a.m.| USA|
Sun, Feb. 16 |Slovenia vs. United States |7:30 a.m.| NBCSN|
Sun, Feb. 16 |Finland vs. Canada| 12 p.m.| USA|

Playoff round:

The top four overall teams earn a bye to the quarterfinal round. The 5th seed will take on the 12 seed in the qualification round; the 6th seed will take on the 11th seed, 7th vs. 10th, 8th vs. 9th.

Date| Qualification Round| Time (ET)| Live TV
Tue, Feb. 18 |Game No. 1 |3 a.m. |NBCSN
Tue, Feb. 18 |Game No. 2 |7:30 a.m. |NBCSN
Tue, Feb. 18 |Game No. 3 |12 p.m. |NBCSN
Tue, Feb. 18 |Game No. 4 |12 p.m. |MSNBC

The four winning teams advance to the quarterfinal round. The lowest-remaining seed will face the No. 1 overall seed, the second-lowest vs. the No. 2 seed, etc. Teams eliminated in the qualification round are assigned a final seeding, Nos. 9-12, based on their preliminary round seeding.

Date| Quarterfinal Round| Time (ET) |Live TV
Wed, Feb. 19 |Game No. 1 |3 a.m. |NBCSN
Wed, Feb. 19 |Game No. 2 |7:30 a.m. |NBCSN
Wed, Feb. 19 |Game No. 3 |12 p.m. |USA
Wed, Feb. 19 |Game No. 4 |12 p.m. |MSNBC

Four winners advance. The highest-remaining seed takes on the lowest-remaining, second-highest vs. third-highest. Teams eliminated in the quarterfinal round are assigned a final seeding, Nos. 5-8, based on their preliminary round seeding.

Date| Semifinal Round| Time (ET)| Live TV
Fri, Feb. 21 |Game No. 1 |7 a.m. |NBCSN
Fri, Feb. 21 |Game No. 2 |12 p.m. |NBCSN

The losing teams from the semifinal round will battle in the bronze-medal game. The losing team will be assigned the No. 4 final seed. The two winners battle in the gold-medal game, with the losing team assigned the No. 2 final seed.

Date| Medal Round| Time (ET)| Live TV
Sat, Feb 22 |Bronze medal game |10 a.m. |NBCSN
Sun, Feb 23 |Gold medal game |7 a.m. |NBC

Last edited:

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I get all high and mighty about the medal count. I'm weird.

Like during the summer Olympics, I get pissed that China goes nuts with golds in things like trampoline. lol

USA usually does well in every Oly, but Canada shines in the winter.

flyersguy33*

I get all high and mighty about the medal count. I'm weird.

Like during the summer Olympics, I get pissed that China goes nuts with golds in things like trampoline. lol

USA usually does well in every Oly, but Canada shines in the winter.

What's more important to you? overall medal count or golds?

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Not sure if this was geared more towards overall or hockey.

For hockey, I think Sweden wins gold. They're so stacked and balanced it's insane. I've got Russia taking the Silver and USA/Canada duke it out for Bronze. Leaning USA because of Quick/Miller. I think Finland is going to struggle mightily; older squad, no Pitkanen, no Rinne (though goaltending is their obvious strength still) and maybe no Koivu... I also look forward to "scouting" if you will ...AKA finding the next unheard of to make noise in the olympics on an unknown squad to get signed to an NHL deal. Zuccarello was really the best case last olympics.

As for the rest of the Olys: Disappointed Lindsey Vonn got hurt again. Hope I catch the Jamaican Bobsled team (yes they made it), and I'll pretty much watch any event but hockey and Jamaican bobsled are the only two I'll go out of my way for and plan.

:handclap:

edit: I also hope it isn't marred by political **** and/or violence. This is a good opportunity for Russia to improve it's international image...though I'm sure the Russians think just fine of their image, and more power to them for that :)

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Not sure if this was geared more towards overall or hockey.

For hockey, I think Sweden wins gold. They're so stacked and balanced it's insane. I've got Russia taking the Silver and USA/Canada duke it out for Bronze. Leaning USA because of Quick/Miller. I think Finland is going to struggle mightily; older squad, no Pitkanen, no Rinne (though goaltending is their obvious strength still) and maybe no Koivu... I also look forward to "scouting" if you will ...AKA finding the next unheard of to make noise in the olympics on an unknown squad to get signed to an NHL deal. Zuccarello was really the best case last olympics.

As for the rest of the Olys: Disappointed Lindsey Vonn got hurt again. Hope I catch the Jamaican Bobsled team (yes they made it), and I'll pretty much watch any event but hockey and Jamaican bobsled are the only two I'll go out of my way for and plan.

:handclap:

edit: I also hope it isn't marred by political **** and/or violence. This is a good opportunity for Russia to improve it's international image...though I'm sure the Russians think just fine of their image, and more power to them for that :)

Finland always surprises. '98 they surprised and won Bronze when they had mostly Euro league players on the roster. '06 they made it to the gold medal game with Nitty after the top 3 goalies got hurt. They played incredible that tournament. 2010 they won Bronze on NA ice. They never have the big names, but they are hard working, two-way players, who play within an incredible system.

Even the Jr. team this year. A nation with not much depth to begin with, loses two of their best prospects in years to the NHL and go on to win a Gold medal. The Finns always play their best with their backs against the wall.

I love the Winter Olympics. Ten times better than the Summer games.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Finland always surprises. '98 they surprised and won Bronze when they had mostly Euro league players on the roster. '06 they made it to the gold medal game with Nitty after the top 3 goalies got hurt. They played incredible that tournament. 2010 they won Bronze on NA ice. They never have the big names, but they are hard working, two-way players, who play within an incredible system.

Even the Jr. team this year. A nation with not much depth to begin with, loses two of their best prospects in years to the NHL and go on to win a Gold medal. The Finns always play their best with their backs against the wall.

I love the Winter Olympics. Ten times better than the Summer games.

I agree! I shouldn't discount them. Guys (likely) in their last Olympics like Timonen, Selanne, Vaananen, and Salo may play above themselves and get that team in the hunt. And that ice size is a huge wildcard, but potentially a huge detriment to those older, slower guys. I can't even imagine Kimmo out there :help:

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
Go Canada Go!

I even have to cheer for Crosby and Kunitz now I guess, which is painful.

BackWithaVengeance

Jan 19, 2008
Germany
I wait eagerly to watch Team Russia in front of the home crowd.

With the star power up front I expect them to dominate in their group but wouldn't be surprised if they exit early in the eliminations when the game tightens up and some of them can't handle their frustation level.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Gold - Sweden
Silver - Canada
Bronze - USA/Russia

As it was mentioned above it is interesting what is going to happen during these olympics regarding politics and potential for terrorist activities. Also interesting that Dustin Brown and Ryan Suter, among others have asked their family members to not attend because of their safety.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I'm just hoping that there isn't some sort of crazy terrorist ****. It's not sounding all that safe.

Don't worry...Carter will preempt the Black Widow that is still on the loose in the Olympic Village when he tries to grope her and discovers her "vest"....:sarcasm:

But seriously....hopefully nothing bad happens.

I do look forward to following what hopefully is a competitive team USA...want to see some good hockey since the Flyers have been looking like dog doo..

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Russians usually fall apart on defense. Varmalov or Bobrovsky will have to stand on their head for them to make it deep.

The first two Russian lines are ridiculous, but the 3rd & 4th are questionable.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Are there going to be live streams of these games? I'm going to be pissed if the Americans go deep and I can't watch the elimination games.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I was thinking the same thing but I would have zero percent change of staying in the dark through a work day about what happens with my internet habits. It's going to be tough.

Yeah, I'll probably hear the results, watch two minutes of the games later, and lose interest quickly lol. The weekend games won't be too bad though. I could dig waking up at around 9 a.m. and catching up to a game that started at 7:30 a.m.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
It has shows like Blue Collar, Burn Notice, and Suits. Think it's in the 40's on standard cable around Philly.

Oh yeah, I'm dumb. For some reason, I kept thinking it was like another news channel or something (MSNBC, CNBC, etc.). Btw, poor Slovenia. Their goal differential could be -30 by the end of this thing.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
9 hour delay from Sochi to Eastern Time. So basically any normal time I want to watch the Olympics, nothing will be happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad