OT: Soccer/Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Wow!

Newcastle ties it.

Salah carried off with a head injury.

But Liverpool scores late to keep the race alive.

Big game Monday. Go Leicester!

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
At least, "That's so Spursy," isn't just limited to the Spurs this late season.

Talk about failing upward.

Two things about managers - parking a bus in front of the goal is the most boring way to play ever, I'd hate having a Mourinho coached side. Poch may be the greatest coach ever getting these results with this budget and these players. The lack of depth is stupifying, and still being well alive in Champions this late in the year? Miracle worker is only a bit too much credit.

And as I google to make sure I'm spelling names correctly, this article greets me -
Mauricio Pochettino suggests he could walk away from Tottenham if club wins 'miracle' Champions League

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

(But it would mean a Champions win, which would be awesome. Conflict of interest.)

Reactions: Jack Straw

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
At least, "That's so Spursy," isn't just limited to the Spurs this late season.

Talk about failing upward.

Two things about managers - parking a bus in front of the goal is the most boring way to play ever, I'd hate having a Mourinho coached side. Poch may be the greatest coach ever getting these results with this budget and these players. The lack of depth is stupifying, and still being well alive in Champions this late in the year? Miracle worker is only a bit too much credit.

And as I google to make sure I'm spelling names correctly, this article greets me -
Mauricio Pochettino suggests he could walk away from Tottenham if club wins 'miracle' Champions League

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

(But it would mean a Champions win, which would be awesome. Conflict of interest.)

Poch would leave for the exact reasons you cited. Levy hasnt shown the interest in investing in the club to make it a sustainable, winning culture. Spurs have a great starting XI - one of the best in the league if im being honest - but their depth is abysmal. If you want to win consistently, you need to be able to trot out different players on the field, rest people occasionally, and not lose much of a step. Spurs can't really do that.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
Poch would leave for the exact reasons you cited. Levy hasnt shown the interest in investing in the club to make it a sustainable, winning culture. Spurs have a great starting XI - one of the best in the league if im being honest - but their depth is abysmal. If you want to win consistently, you need to be able to trot out different players on the field, rest people occasionally, and not lose much of a step. Spurs can't really do that.
I get it, I know. Spurs are a few years advanced of the Sixers, but at the same spot. You have a talented starting roster. Crap depth. Are the owners going to pay for a bench to really compete, or just try to cash in on the recent surge in merch sales before becoming jokes again? Time will tell, but the ticket prices ain't getting any cheaper.

Just seemed that Spurs just got to this level after waiting so long, and it could be reasonably ending just as quick as the arrival. That's not a good feeling. I hate Arsenal, the past 3 years have been so wonderful, I don't want it to end. (8 goal differential...)

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

The hope is, the new stadium will change all that. I guess time will tell.

Ruck Over

Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
If you asked me at the conclusion of the year AVB was replaced by Sherwood, I would've thought the exodus of talent would've been vast, especially Lloris and Vertogen. But they just started winning enough, found diamonds in Dele and Kane, and were able to keep the band together for this run. The old stadium did need replacing. But from the run they've been on, waiting for the new stadium to fix everything just seems folly.

When they moved on from a lot of the guys they purchased with the Bale money, it was time to both promote from within (Winks, Trippier, etc.) and go out and get more quality. The team doing nothing in the summer transfer window, and I don't remember anything big in the winter one will be a black mark if Poch decides to leave. There's not be wasteful with your money, then there's literally being stagnant in an ever changing, striving to improve league. Kane is amazing, but the guy is not the most durable. Insurance policies cost money, and the Son policy that has been in use is about to expire soon and costs a lot more than it previously did.

Blah...

Win Champions, then figure it out I guess.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'm not a Liverpool fan, but I'm sad they lost the league yesterday. It's more entertaining to me as a neutral if the titles get spread around.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I get it, I know. Spurs are a few years advanced of the Sixers, but at the same spot. You have a talented starting roster. Crap depth. Are the owners going to pay for a bench to really compete, or just try to cash in on the recent surge in merch sales before becoming jokes again? Time will tell, but the ticket prices ain't getting any cheaper.

Just seemed that Spurs just got to this level after waiting so long, and it could be reasonably ending just as quick as the arrival. That's not a good feeling. I hate Arsenal, the past 3 years have been so wonderful, I don't want it to end. (8 goal differential...)

Yup. Levy has to commit to the team. I think Poch has taken them as far as anyone can, given the financial restrictions he was given. Hes done a fantastic job of getting the most out of what the Spurs had to offer, but he needs some impact depth for when people just arent getting it done. The new stadium is beautiful (from what ive been told) and im sure theyll be able to fill it, but new stadiums are generally pretty budget-beating, probably moreso for a notoriously 'cheap' owner.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Agreed - and i think Spurs will still be able to put people in the seats. But Levy is going to have to commit to spending additional money outside of the stadium to ensure that happens. Or, land a real big shirt deal, etc.

Eriksen not being under contract would scare me as much if i was a Spurs supporter as Hazard's impending sale does as a Chelsea supporter.

Reactions: Ruck Over
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad