Soccer/Football Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Why so mad? With all these teams leaving, Spurs may have a chance to finish second now! :sarcasm:
tenor.gif

Reactions: Starat327

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I still think it's a semi decent idea. It's putting more money in the club's pockets instead of UEFA's but hey let the world act like they're the good guys somewhow.

Reactions: trostol

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I still think it's a semi decent idea. It's putting more money in the club's pockets instead of UEFA's but hey let the world act like they're the good guys somewhow.

I dont think its a bad idea tp have more games (and eliminate other games) but im not on board with it being a static set of teams who get to reap the rewards AND control who gets in/out. It would ruin domestic competition.

Though, as someone who supports Juventus, youre used to that anyway (this year aside) :p

Reactions: Appleyard

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I dont think its a bad idea tp have more games (and eliminate other games) but im not on board with it being a static set of teams who get to reap the rewards AND control who gets in/out. It would ruin domestic competition.

Though, as someone who supports Juventus, youre used to that anyway (this year aside) :p
You're not wrong.

Flybynite

Feb 25, 2018
Alexa: "Play Boyz II Men It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday", in honor of the Super League announced...yesterday lol

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
This is an incredibly narrow view of what football actually is.
I view any and all sports as businesses it’s how my brain works.

UEFA and FIFA are also unbelievably corrupt. They just don’t want to lose money with these statements about the Champions League, World Cup, etc with bans. They don’t actually care about the spirit of the game.

EDIT: There is a major difference between how North Americans and Europeans view their sports.

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

UEFA and FIFA are also unbelievably corrupt. They just don’t want to lose money with these statements about the Champions League, World Cup, etc with bans. They don’t actually care about the spirit of the game.

EDIT: There is a major difference between how North Americans and Europeans view their sports.

I guess as North American’s were just used to all of our teams/talent in our major sports being consolidated to one league. It’s been a long time since the AFL (NFL), ABA (NBA), WHA (NHL), etc. ran opposition to the big sports leagues in this continent.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

Who cares what UEFA or FIFA think? I care about the domestic league. We have the best league in the world in the UK. I'm sick of our American owners trying to change our sport because they don't like the fact that they have to spend money to be competative. The first major problem is that no sport should ever be viewed as a business first. But that's where we are with these monsters I guess.

The Glaziers are the biggest leech to ever hit the premier league. It's disgusting.

Reactions: Appleyard

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

There absolutely is, and that’s been part of the problem. This issue was clearly lead by the American owned clubs who see things very differently.

I don’t want to assume anything about American fandom, but the franchise situation doesn’t exist over here. The club is the identity of the town, my club is 156 years old and the pyramid of the 92 football league clubs in England is the best set-up in world football. Clubs generally don’t move, (look at the feedback to the MK Dons situation for that) nobody is ever safe and this Super League travesty would totally destroy that. Competition is paramount and relegation is central to that.

Whilst the clubs are a business, football doesn’t work like that over here. What city and Chelsea have done over the past two decades has been awful but this was ten times worse and the unified outcry against the ESL speaks volumes.

Power to the people.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Hopefully this will be a step to more countries going towards the German model and 50+1.

Amazing that German leagues right now are so secure, profitable etc that Bayern and Dortmund give zero shits about a super league... and fan interests come first most of time, tickets are cheap and the quality is damn good. Like after England Germany has the most competative big league top to bottom. The bottom of La Liga, Serie A and Ligue 1 are pretty damn poor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad