Soccer/Football - Jul 21st-Aug 7th

Sep 19, 2008
Brazil Germany didn't live up to the hype. Germany getting throttled.

Back to watching Japan South Africa.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Crossposting from the soccer board:

Not a terrible result considering how awful we were for the first 30 minutes & the soft second yellow to Arnold.

The good:
- Müller in goal & with the ball on his foot.
- Amiri & Raum both had good games and gave us something to build around when the team got its s*** together.
- The defense looked a lot better in a back 3; Torunarigha & Uduokhai should both be locks to start.
- Stach looked good as the 3rd CB...though he may be needed in the midfield.
- Max (Kruse) looked good in the 2nd half...when he started dropping between the lines to collect the ball & do his thing.
- Happy for Ache, if Jakobs & Dorsch hadn't pulled out after their transfers, he wouldn't even be there.

The bad:
- Arnold was anonymous for much of the match other than picking up two soft cards.
- Maier grew into the game as it wore on but struggled to make much of an impact; he needs to be better.
- Similar story for Richter, looked better in the 2nd half than the 1st, but ultimately a peripheral figure.

The ugly:
- Rough night for Pieper. He really struggled to keep up with Richarlison & Cunha, while giving the ball away cheaply.
- Even worse 1st half from Henrichs; who improved in the 2nd half, but still struggled...and I think I'd rather see Richter play RWB, with Henrichs providing depth at outside CB or in the midfield.

When Arnold returns I'm thinking:

Teuchert
Amiri - Kruse
Raum - Arnold - Maier - Richter
'righa - Uduokhai - Stach
Müller​

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
USA beat New Zeeland 6-1, look out

The US had 4 goals called back for offsides. I did not see the first one. The second and third were good calls as the US players were 2 steps off. The fourth was a bad call. It should have been 7-1. It took a long time to get to 3 goals. The US brought in a lot of subs for the second half. They have a lot of depth and are trying to rest their players.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Why? What is this?

The keeper was way out of the box. The ball bounced high and she could not use her hands to play it. It resulted in a score as an opponent ran past her and chipped it into the goal. It was a terrible misplay by the Zambian keeper.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The keeper was way out of the box. The ball bounced high and she could not use her hands to play it. It resulted in a score as an opponent ran past her and chipped it into the goal. It was a terrible misplay by the Zambian keeper.
Yeah, but what the hell was she doing so far out the box? A footy game is not the time for a picknick. Horrible goalie mistake.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
2 shocking results from footy today.

Mexico 4 - France 1. European power thrashed by Mexico.
Hardly a shock.
France has an awful team and playing lower level players on defense.
Add two other factors :
1/ Coach is an idiot
2/ they didn't have much training together and don't even know each other much.

I'm not surprised. I expect a first round exit.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Hardly a shock.
France has an awful team and playing lower level players on defense.
Add two other factors :
1/ Coach is an idiot
2/ they didn't have much training together and don't even know each other much.

I'm not surprised. I expect a first round exit.

do you watch france games or you dont bother becuse they suck so much?

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Nope, I haven't watched a minute of the Olympics but I do follow the results from afar.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I love what Herdman has done for the CMNT, but the WNT misses his presence. He instilled the roster with a confidence that I’m not sure Priester does.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
The Swedish women are not playing particularly well against Japan today. Japan have nice combination play and a fluid offense with great passing. Sweden are playing scrappy, unrefined hoofball. Still 1-1, Sweden are simply living off being way bigger than their opposition and winning physical duels.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad