So you think you can draft!!!!!

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
FWIW - I was debating between Dubois and Tkachuk at the time, but I think I had elected to go with Dubois. When he got selected though, I wanted MT. I was very surprised with the Juolevi pick, but tried to be as supportive as possible.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I didnt expect you would...whatever....This is very surprising coming from someone who wants a career to be in TV/Radio Sports media...
Hey man, I think you’re a good guy despite the fact that we have different view points on our hockey team. I think you’re out of line here though. I have a personal brand that I do a very good job of keeping in tact. How I conduct myself on a hockey forum that I’ve been posting on for over a decade as a student really shouldn’t alter my career path.

I didn’t just randomly bump this thread on purpose I received a like on a post and was under the impression this thread was active.

The issue I had was the guy claiming Benning was some genius for what’s going to be looked at as a bottom 5 draft in franchise history. I see guys like Andrew Walker constantly bump up old posts all the time. Remember when Botchford bumped up one of Walker’s takes from a couple years prior?

What that post on Juolevi shows is I’m not some guy that’s completely against what this management team does. I objectively analyze things based on my viewings.

Cheers.

Reactions: Pavel96

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hey man, I think you’re a good guy despite the fact that we have different view points on our hockey team. I think you’re out of line here though. I have a personal brand that I do a very good job of keeping in tact. How I conduct myself on a hockey forum that I’ve been posting on for over a decade as a student really shouldn’t alter my career path.

I didn’t just randomly bump this thread on purpose I received a like on a post and was under the impression this thread was active.

The issue I had was the guy claiming Benning was some genius for what’s going to be looked at as a bottom 5 draft in franchise history. I see guys like Andrew Walker constantly bump up old posts all the time. Remember when Botchford bumped up one of Walker’s takes from a couple years prior?

What that post on Juolevi shows is I’m not some guy that’s completely against what this management team does. I objectively analyze things based on my viewings.

Cheers.

Agreed..I would like to see you succeed..but why comments like these...?...."When a guy as slow as you can draft better than our draft guru.:."....I work in the entertainment industry (music), and in media...and believe me, nothing travels faster than a 'bad vibe'....You're a knowledgable poster.(and we've had our battles),but theres no need to f***ing crush people..:)

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Agreed..I would like to see you succeed..but why comments like these...?...."When a guy as slow as you can draft better than our draft guru.:."....I work in the entertainment industry (music), and in media...and believe me, nothing travels faster than a 'bad vibe'....You're a knowledgable poster.(and we've had our battles),but theres no need to ****ing crush people..:)
Ainec and I have known each other for years on discord and fantasy leagues we fool around with each other!
But cheers buddy, Go Canucks!

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
I wonder if we didnt fall in the draft lottery do we take Dubois over puljujarvi

No idea if management would have done that, but I think they would have. We didn't have Pettersson at the time and with the Sedins' about the ride into the sunset, the Canucks were desperate to get a franchise center (we all love Horvat, but I don't think anyone had or has him pegged as being a true #1 C).....except for poster Horvat1C :-p).

This topic has me interested now.

I can't fully remember who "my guys" were since 2014, but here's who they were at the top of my head:

2014: Sam Reinhart. I advocated trading our 6th + Horvat for Reinhart at the time. :facepalm:
2015: Brandon Carlo.
2016: Pierre Luc Dubois (was debating between him and MT but I think I went with PLD. I'm proud to say that I wasn't a fan of Puljiujarvi).
2017: Miro Heiskanen. Cody Glass was my 2nd choice and is the guy I would have chosen at #5. I had no idea who Pettersson was.
2018: Quinn Hughes or Noah Dobson. Hughes was my favorite dman besides Dahlin (I knew we wouldn't be getting Dahlin), but I didn't think we'd be getting Hughes either........and so I elected to go with Noah Dobson.
2019: I honestly can't remember (I didn't follow this draft very closely), but I was very surprised that Podkolzin dropped to us.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Been a Canucks fan for 40 years. This is easily their worst draft performance since 2007.
Juolevi will play in the NHL, but you expect at least that in a #5 pick.
Very surprising picks all over the board for Vancouver, and with this management team...I don't think that is a good thing.
Time will tell, but we will check back in a few years.

Well, this was prescient (although I have 2011 as worse by pick value)

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Unrelated, but I'll say this here: The summer of 2011 makes me laugh. We had just signed Brad Winchester and my old message board was all like, we got Winchester. We're gonna beat up Boston now!

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
This used to be a tradition on the boards but then it stopped.

Who would you take that were available at the canucks picks?

5: Matthew Tkachuck
64 Cam Dinneen
140: Markus Nurmi
154: Matthew Phillips
184: Travis Barron
194: David Quennville

I truly feel that's a better draft top down. Now lets wait and see

5: Matthew Tkachuck - completely correct
64 Cam Dinneen - bust
140: Markus Nurmi - bust
154: Matthew Phillips- over a point per game in the AHL - tracking well
184: Travis Barron - bust
194: David Quennville - bust

Well for a desktop gm I clearly did better than our gm who has millions and hours to spend reviewing prospects.

Reactions: MarkMM and vanuck

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
5: Matthew Tkachuck - completely correct
64 Cam Dinneen - bust
140: Markus Nurmi - bust
154: Matthew Phillips- over a point per game in the AHL - tracking well
184: Travis Barron - bust
194: David Quennville - bust

Well for a desktop gm I clearly did better than our gm who has millions and hours to spend reviewing prospects.

With respect, you did much worse.

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
I didnt expect you would...whatever man....This is very surprising coming from someone who wants a career to be in TV/Radio Sports media...Good luck with that
What a classless comment. Don't need to bring up someone's career aspirations as a way to shame them for not agreeing with you lol.

Agreed..I would like to see you succeed..but why comments like these...?...."When a guy as slow as you can draft better than our draft guru.:."....I work in the entertainment industry (music), and in media...and believe me, nothing travels faster than a 'bad vibe'....You're a knowledgable poster.(and we've had our battles),but theres no need to ****ing crush people..:)

No need to crush people, but here let me imply you won't succeed at an actual real life career you are interested in. Anything for Jim's honor.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What a classless comment. Don't need to bring up someone's career aspirations as a way to shame them for not agreeing with you lol.

No need to crush people, but here let me imply you won't succeed at an actual real life career you are interested in. Anything for Jim's honor.
Happy Holidays..

Reactions: Canucks1096

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
5: Matthew Tkachuk
33: Jonathan Dahlen
63: Cam Dineen (Abramov/Fox excellent here)
93: Victor Mete/Linus Lindstrom
140: Jesper Bratt
154: Matthew Philips
184: David Bernhardt
194: David Quenneville (HM Jake Ryczek/Ty Ronning/Otto Somppi/Tim Wahlgren/Linus Weissbach)

Italicized are the trade picks and what i would have done with them if we had them.
Nice draft!

Reactions: vanuck
May 31, 2006
This is not some sort of 'gotcha'. I've referenced this repeatedly and talked about it in detail here literally two days ago.
Good call on Andrew Peeke though. He breezed through the AHL this year as a first year pro and looks like a d-man with good top four upside for the Jackets.

Reactions: vanuck and MS

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
33: Jonathan Dahlen
63: Cam Dineen (Abramov/Fox excellent here)
93: Victor Mete/Linus Lindstrom
140: Jesper Bratt
154: Matthew Philips
184: David Bernhardt
194: David Quenneville (HM Jake Ryczek/Ty Ronning/Otto Somppi/Tim Wahlgren/Linus Weissbach)

Italicized are the trade picks and what i would have done with them if we had them.

Is this the best one? Even with the Dahlen miss, that's good scouting.

Reactions: timw33

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Is this the best one? Even with the Dahlen miss, that's good scouting.

Yeah feebs' list was definitely the best I'd say, though these were very solid too:

63: Adam Fox
140: Tim Wahlgren
154: David Bernhardt
184: Veini Vehvilainen
194: Tyler Soy

5th: Matthew Tkachuk
33rd: Cam Dineen
64th: Will Bitten (would take Dineen here if not in my fantasy land where we didn't trade our 2nd)
94th: Victor Mete
140th: Cole Candella (the only Canucks pick I didn't dislike)
154th: Ty Ronning
184th: David Quenneville
194th: Dmitry Sokolov

Depending on how high you value Bratt, there's an argument to be made for taking Froshaug's list. Fox is tracking to be a top-pairing D-man.

Reactions: timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad