So you think you can draft!!!!!

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
Perfect world. We traded Hamhuis for a 1st to Dallas.

5: Matthew Tkachuk
25(Dallas):Tage Thompson
64 Cam Dineen
140: Jonathan Walker
154: Vladimir Kuznetsov
184: David Quennville
194: Ty Ronning

I stole y2k's.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Based on a really quick look at the list of drafted players (so there could be errors) and I think here's how the potato would've drafted assuming it drafts only first time eligible players out of the CHL and ranks by pts/g:

5th: Tkachuk
64th: Abramov
140th: Phillips
154th: Ronning
184th: Quenneville
194th: Somppi

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Leon Draisaitl said:
It's hilarious to see that so many people want to pick 3 incredibly high risk players. Chances are they'll all never get close to the NHL and then you have 3 wasted picks

Those 'high-risk' picks are actually safer than taking big, lesser skilled players - those guys simply never make it.

The vast majority of mid-late round steals are either a) high-producing, high-skilled guys ranked down because they're too small, b) high-producing, high-skilled guys ranked down because they're too slow, or c) high-producing, high-skilled guys ranked down because they play in a weird league or were previously passed over in the draft.

None of the guys we picked fits the profile of guys who make it, save for maybe Candela.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Those 'high-risk' picks are actually safer than taking big, lesser skilled players - those guys simply never make it.

The vast majority of mid-late round steals are either a) high-producing, high-skilled guys ranked down because they're too small, b) high-producing, high-skilled guys ranked down because they're too slow, or c) high-producing, high-skilled guys ranked down because they play in a weird league or were previously passed over in the draft.

None of the guys we picked fits the profile of guys who make it, save for maybe Candela.

If I had to pick 3 lottery tickets out of 6, say 3 of them each had a 25% chance of winning $10, the other 3 had a 5% of winning $100...just saying I know which ones I would take.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
33: Jonathan Dahlen
63: Cam Dineen (Abramov/Fox excellent here)
93: Victor Mete/Linus Lindstrom
140: Jesper Bratt
154: Matthew Philips
184: David Bernhardt
194: David Quenneville (HM Jake Ryczek/Ty Ronning/Otto Somppi/Tim Wahlgren/Linus Weissbach)

Italicized are the trade picks and what i would have done with them if we had them.

pitseleh

Jul 30, 2005
Vancouver
Reactions: vanuck

BerSTUzzi

Jan 24, 2006
Kamloops
63: Cam Dineen
140: Cole Candella (I like this pick)
184: Ty Ronning
194: Tyler Soy

Small and skilled at the back of the draft.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
Been a Canucks fan for 40 years. This is easily their worst draft performance since 2007.
Juolevi will play in the NHL, but you expect at least that in a #5 pick.
Very surprising picks all over the board for Vancouver, and with this management team...I don't think that is a good thing.
Time will tell, but we will check back in a few years.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
63: Cam Dineen
140: Cole Candella (I like this pick)
184: Ty Ronning

Small and skilled at the back of the draft.

Would have been nice to draft someone from both the Giants and Royals this year. I keep waiting for there to be a Canucks prospect on the Royals, still not a single one since they moved to the island.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
the point is to take who you would have taken at the time the canucks were picking. I don't think anyone would have though running would be there at 184 but then again that doesn't mean they wouldn't have taken him at 184.

pullyoursocksup

Jun 30, 2009
I cannot get over the Juolevi hate at number 5. He was phenomenal all-year, the canucks have been absolutely starved for top-pairing dmen for decades, it is the most valuable position in hockey (along with centre), and he would have certainly gone within 2 spots if we hadn't have taken him there.

To all of you saying we should have taken someone other than tkachuk or juolevi at 5, you are either trying to find ways to criticize management or you are in your own universe entirely.

pullyoursocksup

Jun 30, 2009
Been a Canucks fan for 40 years. This is easily their worst draft performance since 2007.
Juolevi will play in the NHL, but you expect at least that in a #5 pick.
Very surprising picks all over the board for Vancouver, and with this management team...I don't think that is a good thing.
Time will tell, but we will check back in a few years.

"Juolevi will play in the NHL". Seriously? That is your opinion of the unanimously rated top defenseman in this draft? You believe that he tops out at being an NHL player? Unbelievable the criticism that this pick is taking, simply unbelievable.

I'm not even a fan of the Linden-Benning-Weisbrod management team at all, but reading comments like these make it abundantly clear that many canucks fans have become embarrassingly illogical when analyzing management decisions.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Was going to make this thread, for reference OP can be updated with the previous three years.

My picks would have been:

5 Matthew Tkachuk
64 James Greenway
140 Mathias From
154 Tyler Soy
184 Dmitri Sokolov
194 David Quenneville

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Was going to make this thread, for reference OP can be updated with the previous three years.
Was wondering if you were going to continue this. We need a logo :D I've contemplated making one, but i suck at photoshop.

63: Adam Fox
140: Tim Wahlgren
154: David Bernhardt
184: Veini Vehvilainen

Interesting to see Wahlgren that high, well not high, but higher than most. I wish i could see more, but he really looked like Axel Holmstrom to me, on the ice and in his statistical progression so far. Both under-rated. Hopefully we can extend an invite to him.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It's pretty early to distinguish whether or not this was a good or bad draft. On the surface it might look bad. I know I thought the Brisbois pick last year was terrible because of how little this team and the league in general has luck at drafting defensemen from the Q. But he's actually trending well.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
5th - Clayton Keller
64th - Cam Dineen
140th - Cole Candella
154th - Ty Ronning (this is where I wanted him)
184th - Travis Barron
194th - Dmitry Sokolov

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
"Juolevi will play in the NHL". Seriously? That is your opinion of the unanimously rated top defenseman in this draft? You believe that he tops out at being an NHL player? Unbelievable the criticism that this pick is taking, simply unbelievable.

I don't this draft was that deep in terms of D; that said, I like the pick (Juolevi).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad