184th - Griffen Outhouse
194th - Ty Ronning

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
5th: Matthew Tkachuk
33rd: Cam Dineen
64th: Will Bitten (would take Dineen here if not in my fantasy land where we didn't trade our 2nd)
94th: Victor Mete
140th: Cole Candella (the only Canucks pick I didn't dislike)
154th: Ty Ronning
184th: David Quenneville
194th: Dmitry Sokolov

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
"Juolevi will play in the NHL". Seriously? That is your opinion of the unanimously rated top defenseman in this draft? You believe that he tops out at being an NHL player? Unbelievable the criticism that this pick is taking, simply unbelievable.

I'm not even a fan of the Linden-Benning-Weisbrod management team at all, but reading comments like these make it abundantly clear that many canucks fans have become embarrassingly illogical when analyzing management decisions.

That's not true at all. In fact most publications had him as the number 2 or 3 rated defenseman.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
I cannot get over the Juolevi hate at number 5. He was phenomenal all-year, the canucks have been absolutely starved for top-pairing dmen for decades, it is the most valuable position in hockey (along with centre), and he would have certainly gone within 2 spots if we hadn't have taken him there.

To all of you saying we should have taken someone other than tkachuk or juolevi at 5, you are either trying to find ways to criticize management or you are in your own universe entirely.

The hate is due to the unanimous ranking of having Tkachuk above Juolevi and it has been constantly said that the 4/5 picks tier was between Tkachuk and Dubois. Tkachuk was ranked #4 overall in pretty much every ranking.
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=233030

Juolevi was not the unanimous best defenseman in all the rankings. He was ranked higher in most than Sergachev and Chychrun.
Juolevi: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=196391
Sergachev: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=312213
Chychrun: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=243386

I like Juolevi a lot and more than the other defenders and I disliked Tkachuk but its not hard to see why people hate the pick.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
The Canucks will never, ever have a good draft because everyone will always complain about who we picked in the 7th round.

Tongue in cheek, but seriously, there seem to be a lot of experts on here all up in arms over a name that sounds familiar (Ronning). I actually voted 'no' in the poll; I think we had an average draft (or slightly below average) but not a terrible one.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The Canucks will never, ever have a good draft because everyone will always complain about who we picked in the 7th round.

Tongue in cheek, but seriously, there seem to be a lot of experts on here all up in arms over a name that sounds familiar (Ronning). I actually voted 'no' in the poll; I think we had an average draft (or slightly below average) but not a terrible one.

Agreed. I don't think the draft was *bad* but it could have been better. I didn't like the Lockwood pick with guys like Dineen, Abramov and Fox on the board, but its defensible. Pronman seems to like him a bit.

And with PLD off the board, Juolevi is a perfectly fine pick. I'm not a huge Tkachuk fan (IMO would rather Keller anyway) so failing that, if we're taking a defenseman I think Juolevi is a fine pick. But fine is all it is. I don't see him being a star, but maybe a Tanev/Hamhuis style player which is still very useful. Personally rather trade down and find a way to get more assets and still pick one of Keller/Jost/Brown, but that can be tough.

I think the late round OA were the worst picks. Yah late picks don't have a great success rate anyway, but by taking the guys they picked, even if they "hit", we're only going to be getting singles. Abols, Stukel and McKenzie won't ever be impact players should they make the NHL. Would guys like Ronning or Sokolov? Still probably not, but they have a sliver's chance. The former do not. They're still picks. Don't have to waste them just because they're "only 7ths".

I did like the Candella pick though.

Preferred draft:
Keller
**still have 33
Dineen
Candella
Sokolov
Ronning
Soy

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011

Well for me, I only know so many prospects and don't follow too many oversea ones. I only can pretty much follow up to the third round. I was kinda mad about not taking bitten.

Juolevi for tkachuk I'm good with cause I don't like tkachuk but I feel he's still gonna be explosive in London next year. What I didn't like is Benning taking so many overagers

Haagen Dazs

Mar 23, 2016
5th - Keller
64th - Abramov
140th - Candella (only solid pick this draft)
154th - Quinneville
184th - Sokolov
194th - Ronning

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
5th - Matthew Tkachuk
64th - William Lockwood
140th - Cole Candella
154th - Oleg Sosunov
184th - Brett McKenzie
194th - Zach Sawchenko

Reactions: Canucks LB

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
By my list...

5.Olli Juolevi, D.
64.Vitaly Abramov, F.
140.Axel Jonsson-Fjallby, F.
154.Brayden Burke, F.
184.Dylan Coghlan, D.
194.Evan Sarthou, G.

*also keeping Nathan Noel since i already drafted him in last year's edition of this thing.

NOTES:

-Actually had Tkachuk listed one spot higher, but leading up to the draft the idea of positional value and getting that bluechip defenceman into the system earlier swayed me. Hard to go wrong either way though.

-Actually drafting Abramov there, for this organization would scare the daylights out of me. Real possibility of him bolting back to Russian to be a KHL superstar if his progression to the NHL isn't moving quickly enough - and he's got a lot of work to do. For that very sort of reason, i don't mind the Lockwood pick there. Think there's a good chance we've got a player there at least. But Abramov is way too talented to pass up there in the end. Though if i had chickened out, by my list it would've been James Greenway there instead for me.

-Don't really like the idea of Abramov and Burke as such similar boom or complete bust picks...but shocked Burke wasn't drafted. On the day, would've certainly taken a flyer on him there, even after the Abramov pick.

-Don't mind the Candella pick at all. Everything about that seems like a pretty reasonable bet, but with his injury, not a guy i've seen enough of to credibly slot into my personal picks there. :dunno:

-Would be handing out prospect dev camp invites like candy. A handful of really interesting late round type fliers still left on my list who weren't drafted.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
5 - Matthew Tkachuk (although, in an ideal world I would have moved down a couple spots and taken Keller/Juolevi but that seems like cheating).
64 - Cam Dineen
140 - Jack Walker (I trust MS)
154 - Vladimir Kuznetsov
184 - Tyler Soy (had him in the 7th last year too)
194 - Ty Ronning

A bunch of name value picks haha.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
5: Matthew Tkachuk
33: Jonathan Dahlen
63: Cam Dineen (Abramov/Fox excellent here)
93: Victor Mete/Linus Lindstrom
140: Jesper Bratt
154: Matthew Philips
184: David Bernhardt
194: David Quenneville (HM Jake Ryczek/Ty Ronning/Otto Somppi/Tim Wahlgren/Linus Weissbach)

Italicized are the trade picks and what i would have done with them if we had them.
Can the team please hire this guy, jesus.

SillyRabbit

Trix Are For Kids
Jan 3, 2006
Lol, don't look at the others, because it gets worse. I've definitely made some bad choices over the years. I did the most videos during this draft season, so i watched more than usual.

I mean the simple fact that a regular guy with a full time job who does some videos as a hobby managed to gather more information from watching them than an entire management team who is paid six figures to do this kind of thing speaks volumes.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This aged well!
So did this........your post......June 27..2016..

"personally I would have probably taken chychrun over tkachuk, was never really that high on him. im way more upset that pool party went to edmonton than i am of us taking juolevi over tkachuk. I think if everything goes right for juolevi he can turn into a lindholm try defender which is a borderline #1."

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
So did this........your post......June 27..2016..

"personally I would have probably taken chychrun over tkachuk, was never really that high on him. im way more upset that pool party went to edmonton than i am of us taking juolevi over tkachuk. I think if everything goes right for juolevi he can turn into a lindholm try defender which is a borderline #1."
Okay. So I still would have done better than Jimbo? Chychrun is a #3 defender on the top team in the division.

Now look at my 2014 “so you think you can draft” Canucks would have had Ehlers, Barbashev, Demko and Brayden Point if they just trusted a 17 year old instead of their GM.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Okay. So I still would have done better than Jimbo? Chychrun is a #3 defender on the top team in the division.

Now look at my 2014 “so you think you can draft” Canucks would have had Ehlers, Barbashev, Demko and Brayden Point if they just trusted a 17 year old instead of their GM.
Honestly, I don't care...but one shouldn't throw stones who live in glass houses.

Reactions: Hindustan Smyl

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009

Cool story, I took Pastrnak and Ehlers that year

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Again, I don’t see your point the guy I wanted is tracking into a #2 defender.
I didnt expect you would...whatever man....This is very surprising coming from someone who wants a career to be in TV/Radio Sports media...Good luck with that

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->