Post-Game Talk: So yeah, Mantha time or what?

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
The folks that thought/hoped DeKeyser could handle being a #1.....

Thoughts so far?

Sorry to say but Dekeyser just isn't a #1 period. #3 at best not earning his money yet needs to pick it up. But with Kronwall out unfortunately the #1 spot was thrust upon DeKeyser but he just can't personally handle other teams top lines and it's showing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I'm not sure if this was at me at all but I'm a DeKeyser fan, have been for awhile and stick by it. I was one constantly talking about him potentially taking that next leap to another tier. Never said he would be a number 1. He was the number 1 last season but clearly wasn't capable. Was hoping he went from a 3 to a 2, possibly a high level 2. I really thought his offense would break out a bit more too.

DeKeyser has played with Quincey for 2.5 seasons though primarily so I'm hoping he's just getting used to another partner.

Wasn't just you. Remember a couple folks either thought he had either untapped offensive potential, or wanted to see what he looked like in a bigger role.

I think he is what he is-- strong middle pairing guy, weak top pairing guy. Ideally should get 18-19 minutes. ES and PK minutes only. I think dropping him in role and minutes would make him look much better, similar to what we are seeing with Ericsson this year. Unfortunately we have no one to replace him with to drop him down the depth chart. This is why I am beating the drum on a trade.

Last edited:

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Solid start to the season so far, it could be much worse. 6-4 puts us right at the 6 points every 5 games that Blashill talks about. This team is a bubble team that is going to have plenty of bad games, a winning streak didn't change that.

Really disappointed so far in Abdelkader and Sheahan. So far that Abdelkader contract looks even worse than most expected.

chris05

May 23, 2013
"I understand for instance that just because the goals Athanasiou scores tend to be highlight goals, doesn't make the guy a better player than most of our roster.".... Tell that to the owner.... judging by when and how he scored those goals at the tail end of the season... when it mattered the most....would tell me that I should be investing a little more time in developing this young player because the return is going to be way higher than any other player can bring to this team $$$$. You don't win championships without players like AA on your roster. As for the bruins game do as all a favour and refund our money... beer money included. a game like that makes even a good beer taste bad.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Wasn't just you. Remember a couple folks either thought he had either untapped offensive potential, or wanted to see what he looked like in a bigger role.

I think he is what he is-- strong middle pairing guy, weak top pairing guy. Ideally should get 18-19 minutes. ES and PK minutes only. I think dropping him in role and minutes would make him look much better, similar to what we are seeing with Ericsson this year. Unfortunately we have no one to replace him with to drop him down the depth chart. This is why I am beating the drum on a trade.

I still think he can be a poor man's Ryan McDonagh. Peak season, 40 points. Great skating DD.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

We all want to acquire someone better than Danny. For my part, wanting him to be our #1 was more about not wanting to see a continued reliance on Kronwall/Z to carry the team. I want to see the younger players take over. Currently Green is our #1 which I'm not super happy about since I think he's more of a #4, but he's been doing alright. I want Danny to continue to get the big minutes, I want Marchenko and Sproul to get chances in the top 4 and I also want to see Russo during the season. I'd rather see Dekeyser struggle a bit in a top pairing role than see Kronwall and Green and do the same. And so far, I think people are way too harsh on DD. He's holding on. Barely, but still holding on. I think he'll look better if/when the team as a whole starts playing a stronger possession game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
We all want to acquire someone better than Danny. For my part, wanting him to be our #1 was more about not wanting to see a continued reliance on Kronwall/Z to carry the team. I want to see the younger players take over. Currently Green is our #1 which I'm not super happy about since I think he's more of a #4, but he's been doing alright. I want Danny to continue to get the big minutes, I want Marchenko and Sproul to get chances in the top 4 and I also want to see Russo during the season. I'd rather see Dekeyser struggle a bit in a top pairing role than see Kronwall and Green and do the same. And so far, I think people are way too harsh on DD. He's holding on. Barely, but still holding on. I think he'll look better if/when the team as a whole starts playing a stronger possession game.

That's totally reasonable, man. I just don't personally see it that way. Dekeyser is as out of place on a top pairing as Helm would be as our first line center, as far as I'm concerned.

Also if Green's only a # 4, not sure what that would make DeKeyser. Considering Green has been substantially better. Or maybe you just mean Green is a #4 on a Cup contender, which I would agree with.

Last edited:

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site

Anyone who criticizes DD on his game doesn't realize what he is.

He's a solid 2nd pairing dman. He is what he is. Maybe a season of 35 points on a solid team...but overall a good 2nd pairing shutdown dman averaging around 25 points.

Unfortunately for him, he is this teams #1.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
That's totally reasonable, man. I just don't personally see it that way. Dekeyser is as out of place on a top pairing as Helm would be as our first line center, as far as I'm concerned.

Also if Green's only a # 4, not sure what that would make DeKeyser. Considering Green has been substantially better. Or maybe you just mean Green is a #4 on a Cup contender, which I would agree with.
I don't agree. If Helm was our #1C we'd miss the playoffs easily. Dekeyser already was our #1 in ES minutes last season and we made the playoffs. This year he's our #2 and we're in a playoff position with a 6-4 start. He is never going to look great in a top-pairing role unless he's paired with a legit #1, but he's not the horrible liability he's being made out to be.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't agree. If Helm was our #1C we'd miss the playoffs easily. Dekeyser already was our #1 in ES minutes last season and we made the playoffs. This year he's our #2 and we're in a playoff position with a 6-4 start. He is never going to look great in a top-pairing role unless he's paired with a legit #1, but he's not the horrible liability he's being made out to be.

That's a good point, I hadn't considered it from that angle.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
That's a good point, I hadn't considered it from that angle.

I don't think we have to get hypothetical at all to complete the analogy. It's like if Frans Nielsen is your #1 center... You'll survive alright, but, ya know.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I don't think we have to get hypothetical at all to complete the analogy. It's like if Frans Nielsen is your #1 center... You'll survive alright, but, ya know.

Don't bum me out Bench. I also blame you for cursing my Vikings.

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Dekeyser is entering a defenseman's typical best years, especially a defensive-minded one.

If he doesn't shine over the next few seasons, then I'll start souring.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I wonder how much of the half assed effort is from the flu. Played against Nashville a week or so ago. Been enough time for it to take hold. Would explain the lack of effort from the last 2 games.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
I wonder how much of the half assed effort is from the flu. Played against Nashville a week or so ago. Been enough time for it to take hold. Would explain the lack of effort from the last 2 games.

I thought it was supposedly food poisoning?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad