Post-Game Talk: So yeah, Mantha time or what?

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
To your guys credit, you dominated the 2nd and the 3rd. Reimer bailed us out.

Not sure if you can blame any of those goals on Mrazek but if he stops a couple Detriot takes the game.

we only did well after we pulled mrazek so

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
You think it's an aberration and they're actually good? Didn't Florida also play yesterday? And then travel here?

And? Colton Sceviour busted his ass to cover up for it. They got a couple quick goals off him forechecking hard in the first two minutes.

I mean, Mrazek gave up 3 goals on like 8 shots.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
And? Colton Sceviour busted his ass to cover up for it. They got a couple quick goals off him forechecking hard in the first two minutes.

I mean, Mrazek gave up 3 goals on like 8 shots.

So you legitimately think we're a good team?

Okay. Just wanted to know where people stood. Not sure how one can look at this roster compared to others and think "yeah, we're competitive" but okay.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Is it just me.... Or Vanek is not just a support player for us right now.

He is our best player.

We look horrible without him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Okay. Just wanted to know where people stood. Not sure how one can look at this roster compared to others and think "yeah, we're competitive" but okay.

We're somewhere from the 6th to the 10th best team in the eastern conference. 7-9 if you wanted to narrow it down more.

Would bet we either just barely miss playoffs, or get in and get bounced in 5 or 6 games. We're a bubble team with a pretty big hole on the back end of our roster. Thought that before the season started, after the win streak, and as of right now. Nothing's really changed.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The folks that thought/hoped DeKeyser could handle being a #1.....

Thoughts so far?

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
Not too many stable minded folks huh?

A) It will take probably around 20 more games into the season to figure out where we stand in the league.

B) Say what you will but, every damn team goes hot and cold in this league several times a season so, predicting dooms or glory days after each game is, well, just plain stupid.

C) Winning 6 games out of 10 is pretty much a playoff bound pace in this league.

So far, nothing incredible nor terrible with this team.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

Thoughts so far?
Green has been our #1 so far. Him and Dekeyser are doing okay as our top pair. Not great, but tonight was probably the first game they truly looked awful. We have no one that can truly "handle" being a #1D in the sense that they will look great in that role. All we can hope for is to have someone in the role that doesn't get exposed game after game.

6-4 is not competitive? Our losses have been against Tampa, Florida and Boston. Not exactly awful teams. Team needs to regroup, but I think we can be very competitive. Defense does not look as bad as feared when we have Ericsson and Sproul performing well and Green playing much better than last season.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
No one ever thought this. Nice try, though.

They absolutely have. Go back and look at DeKeyser threads.

There was at the least people that wanted to see him get that opportunity to see what it looked like going into this season.

Last edited:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Probably as successful as some people thought Z would be being our number 1 centre again....

Why are we back to playing him 20-21 minutes these last few games? Nothing good is coming of it.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
now that I am dont raging about the game the truth is we played 4 games in 6 nights and 3 games in 4. And we still outplayed Florida for the most part.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Why are we back to playing him 20-21 minutes these last few games? Nothing good is coming of it.

I'm sure them losing has everything to do with Zetterberg taking two or three extra shifts in Vanek's absence.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Not too many stable minded folks huh?

A) It will take probably around 20 more games into the season to figure out where we stand in the league.

B) Say what you will but, every damn team goes hot and cold in this league several times a season so, predicting dooms or glory days after each game is, well, just plain stupid.

C) Winning 6 games out of 10 is pretty much a playoff bound pace in this league.

So far, nothing incredible nor terrible with this team.

After 30 games a group of teams will be out of the playoffs. We already have a fairly clear view of where the Wings are at- a very unpredictable and unstable ledge over the bottom pit of the NHL.

To win games you don't deserve and have a weekend like this last...it's beyond a hot or cold streak, it's surreal. Mickey said it several times, the Jekyll and Hyde personality is hard to digest. He was actually moaning in pain how bad the Boston games was. Other fans here have said we have no idea what to expect, that's the truth.

I think there are terrible things with the Wings to be this inconsistent. It's painful. I'd almost rather they lost every game than watching flashes of brilliant periods we've seen them capable of...only to play equally as bad the next game/period. It's ingenuine to try and brush off the sense, the feeling from long-time followers of this hockey team who are frustrated/unhappy.

Invictus12

Aug 1, 2010
New York
After 30 games a group of teams will be out of the playoffs. We already have a fairly clear view of where the Wings are at- a very unpredictable and unstable ledge over the bottom pit of the NHL.

To win games you don't deserve and have a weekend like this last...it's beyond a hot or cold streak, it's surreal. Mickey said it several times, the Jekyll and Hyde personality is hard to digest. He was actually moaning in pain how bad the Boston games was. Other fans here have said we have no idea what to expect, that's the truth.

I think there are terrible things with the Wings to be this inconsistent. It's painful. I'd almost rather they lost every game than watching flashes of brilliant periods we've seen them capable of...only to play equally as bad the next game/period. It's ingenuine to try and brush off the sense, the feeling from long-time followers of this hockey team who are frustrated/unhappy.

So, you agree and disagree at the same time that it will take more games before we can somewhat accurately size this team up to other teams???

What are exactly deserved wins mean by definition to you? Outside the St Louis game, I didn't get to watch the recent winning streak but, from what I read, it seemed most folks were happy with the effort the team put in.

As far as the Boston game goes, you should realize that boring hockey doesn't necessarily mean bad teams or bad players. It just means that it's not appealing to the eye. Nothing more nothing less. I can catch college games that are very exciting, doesn't mean those teams are NHL calibre in any way. Oh and yes, we played pretty badly against Boston. Not defensively though as most shots that Howard faced were pretty harmless. On offence though, we just lacked muscle on the team and yet everyone is crying how it was lack of skill. How exactly skill would help though when you pretty much get out muscled in the neutral zone? Boston was pretty disciplined in taking the body and man to man coverage. We didn't/couldn't adjust but there are way to negate that. For one, I'd think more passing in our own zone and neutral zone could have worn them out a bit. Hack at them physically could have also helped but we lack personnel in that department. So, what you call being frustrated and unhappy I see as just whining. I'm a long time follower too and I understand that we've lost some really great players while others declined and it may take sometime before someone else fills the shoes. Whereas half the folks' mentality is that things just can happen at the snap of the fingers. I like to think of myself as a realist and a pragmatist. I understand for instance that just because the goals Athanasiou scores tend to be highlight goals, doesn't make the guy a better player than most of our roster. Sheahan in the last three games has showed some really bad decision making in my eyes. It's like the guy plans five steps ahead, yet fails to account for what's happening right in the moment. From what I've read, it sound like he's been like that all ten games into the season. Hence why half the folks want him removed. I tend to remember that this isn't his norm and even when not scoring, he's very capable of in other aspects of the game. I don't have a short memory. You can go through a lot of threads on this site where we just simply dominated an opposing team, you have folks flying high on this site and then, in the last minute a team, like always makes a desperate push to tie the game and actually succeeds... Guess what, you'd think an asteroid hit right outside your house and nothing but rubble is left all around you. This team suddenly is the worst team in the league, etc etc... If people can't think rationally, I certainly don't need to take their emotional roller coasters seriously.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015

Thoughts so far?

They absolutely have. Go back and look at DeKeyser threads.

There was at the least people that wanted to see him get that opportunity to see what it looked like going into this season.

I'm not sure if this was at me at all but I'm a DeKeyser fan, have been for awhile and stick by it. I was one constantly talking about him potentially taking that next leap to another tier. Never said he would be a number 1. He was the number 1 last season but clearly wasn't capable. Was hoping he went from a 3 to a 2, possibly a high level 2. I really thought his offense would break out a bit more too.

DeKeyser has played with Quincey for 2.5 seasons though primarily so I'm hoping he's just getting used to another partner.

This. Z is a ****ing blackhole offensively. Team has struggled to score recently. Team struggled last season. PP is struggling. Z should not be getting those minutes. He's not a major scoring threat. He actually frustrates me more than any forward on the team. I cannot stand his sharp angle shots. He shoots way too much. He has the puck way too much. Z plays like Joe Thornton a lot IMO. Difference is, Joe's a better shooter, passer, and stronger not to mention bigger. Him and Tats' style of offense is so different.

PP was looking good. First unit was Frans, Tatar, Z, Vanek and Green. Tatar, Vanek and Green had the puck the most. Now it's Gus, Z, Greener, Tatar and Abby with Z running it. No thanks. No.

If you look at terrible offensive struggles, you'll notice Zetterberg's minutes every single time.

I'm sure them losing has everything to do with Zetterberg taking two or three extra shifts in Vanek's absence.

Shouldn't be happening. AA should be getting those minutes. Need to find a way to have Mantha up too.

EDIT: Also want to add. I just cannot see Henrik hitting double digit goals. He needs to be back on the wing IMO.

Zetterberg-Frans-Abby
Tatar-Sheahan-Larkin
Nyquist-Helm-AA (find a way to get Gus big minutes still)

Last edited:

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
What are exactly deserved wins mean by definition to you? Outside the St Louis game, I didn't get to watch the recent winning streak but, from what I read, it seemed most folks were happy with the effort the team put in.

Most folks only care about the W. You either play winning hockey or you play losing hockey. We managed to eek out a few of those wins on the "streak" playing losing hockey by having epic goaltending performances.

Over the long run, we played like and will be a sub 0.500 team.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
They are what we thought they were. Didn't think during the streak that they were Cup contenders and I don't think they are cellar dwellers either. They have some streaky scoring, questionable defense and two goalies who can steal a game or look like a sieve on any given night. Add to that a coach who still seems lost many nights and this is the kind of season you will get.

Apart from the Blashill part, I think this is a perfect summary of our team.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Not surprised, They're finally coming back down to earth. Pretty much playing like we expected them to we can never beat Florida can hardly beat Tampa. We've Philly, Winnipeg and Edmonton coming up in the next 3 games and i can see us losing those 3 games as well. Not looking good the D left Mrazek out to dry yesterday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad