EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Kreider (C)
Zuccarello (A)
Shattenkirk (A)
Kovalchuk (A)

I know Zucc is the fan favorite and he certainly leads by example but I don't think his personality screams leader to me. Kreider is one of our most vocal players & best lockerroom guys, has an edge and is a bit controversial (which is something Gorton said they wanted in a Captain in regards to the McDonagh trade), he really helps new guys like Buch feel comfortable, he's very intelligent, thrives under pressure, the difference when he's not in our lineup is night & day, and he has a lot of character.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Kreider (C)
Zuccarello (A)
Shattenkirk (A)
Kovalchuk (A)

I know Zucc is the fan favorite and he certainly leads by example but I don't think his personality screams leader to me. Kreider is one of our most vocal players & best lockerroom guys, has an edge and is a bit controversial (which is something Gorton said they wanted in a Captain in regards to the McDonagh trade), he really helps new guys like Buch feel comfortable, he's very intelligent, thrives under pressure, the difference when he's not in our lineup is night & day, and he has a lot of character.
Don’t want Kovy at all personally and definitely don’t want him with a letter.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
I could totally see that happen. Kovalchuk brings a lot of experience and leadership
I think I had this from Brooksie in mind and I wasn't ironyposting

1. Left unsaid in the decision to trade Ryan McDonagh to Tampa Bay on Monday is management’s belief the Blueshirts were/are in need of a more inspirational and perhaps even confrontational personality as team captain.

No one would dare dispute McDonagh’s character, commitment, toughness or work ethic. The man played the final three games of the 2015 conference finals on a broken ankle, for goodness sakes. He was a lead-by-example guy since getting the “C” at the start of 2104-15.

But with Alain Vigneault, a coach who believes in leaving the locker room to his player leadership core, there was a sense that the club needed a captain who would get in his teammates’ faces when necessary and that McDonagh was not that kind of leader.

Had such a player emerged, the Rangers might have considered changing captains, as the Sharks did in going from Joe Thornton to Joe Pavelski; as the Kings did in moving from Dustin Brown to Anze Kopitar; as the Devils once did in going from Patrik Elias (after one year) to Jamie Langenbrunner and, before that, from Bruce Driver (after one season) to Scott Stevens; as the Islanders did in moving from Clark Gillies (after one year) to Denis Potvin in the offseason preceding their first Stanley Cup; and as the Blueshirts themselves did way back when, in going from Harry Howell to Red Sullivan. But no such alternative presented itself.

The next captain more likely than not will come from the outside in the person of a veteran with characteristics similar to, say, Martin St. Louis, who might have inherited the position vacated by Ryan Callahan’s trade if No. 26 had more than one year remaining on his contract when McDonagh was named instead.

That’s the Type A type of veteran management will be seeking this summer in advance of a 2018-19 in which most of the rebuilding will take place off Broadway.

We're not making another big trade. Maybe a bad contract like Lucic can be the right personality, but everyone calls him fat and lazy. Old man UFAs include Thornton (not that kind of guy), Chara (absolutely no reason to go here) and the Sedins. You know, AV's not gone yet...

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
He's almost always the youngest player on every team he plays for. Hard to judge that.

So is Lias, but he seems to be more of a natural leader. With some players, the leadership qualities and maturity are there at a young age. Lias reminds me a lot of Chris Drury in that regard. Dahlin will be one of the best players in the world, but I wouldn't be surprised if he never captains his team

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I was thinking Zucc but you people have started to convince me they’re trading him!

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Lias Andersson is an obvious player for the future for the C, and I`m not sure if Zucc is interested in C unless they improve the defense core immensly next season. The fact is; its hard to compete in NHL when we have 55 SOG vs Vancouver who is rebuilding. And is our defense that bad, or is`t part of the AV system?

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
So is Lias, but he seems to be more of a natural leader. With some players, the leadership qualities and maturity are there at a young age. Lias reminds me a lot of Chris Drury in that regard. Dahlin will be one of the best players in the world, but I wouldn't be surprised if he never captains his team

Last thing this team needs is a Chris Drury type of captain.

But that won't ruin his weekend, so who cares.

There is no captain on this team right now.

Not one player jumps out at me as that kind of guy, the kind of guy that this team needs.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
That Ryan Spooner pass to Gilmour should be named captain for the next decade.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Last thing this team needs is a Chris Drury type of captain.

But that won't ruin his weekend, so who cares.

There is no captain on this team right now.

Not one player jumps out at me as that kind of guy, the kind of guy that this team needs.

Chris Drury is one of the best captains in the NHL in the last 15 years. But I've gone over this already. Good player != good captain

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

If you draft a generational player, he is your captain, not a complimentary player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad