Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I doubt they give the captain spot to anyone

Earliest would be next training camp. If Zucc is still here, it will be him

Staal, Shattenkirk and Fast with A's

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
If Zucc ends up getting dealt...I literally have no clue who the next captain would be. Pretty weird feeling. After Jagr, we all knew itd be drury, after that we all knew Cally, after that we all knew McD. Now I really dont know..it's a little unnerving.

Edit: Maybe Shatty?

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Smart money is on Zucc or all A's.

Heart is on McLeod because YOLO.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
3 A's the rest of the year...zuc is the obvious choice to get it right now but I don't think he is still here after the draft

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I don't see any way Tavares comes here. EK I could if the Rangers gave him enough money anyway. I think him and Hank together would get along great and IMO he's still the best defenseman in the league (at least when healthy) and IMO he's going to be elite for a while (barring serious injury) and he's definitely captain material. I could see Kovalchuk coming here but no way would I give him the C. I might give Kreider an A but not the C just because he can speak at least some Russian.

At this point the Rangers should buy out Smith and at least think about buying out Staal. What they plan for Zucc I don't know but I will say I hope he sticks around for a while.

I'm guessing though that we're not going to have a captain for a while.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Zucc is the obvious choice.

I'll be shocked if he is on the opening day roster though.

I don't think it's so shocking. The team can't get into a rebuild without veterans to guide the youngsters, and the Rangers have just traded away 2 of their leaders.

My prediction is that if Gorton don't get a haul for Zucc similar to Nash, Zucc is captain in opening day.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
I say no captain. I’m not sure Zucc is here after the draft. No need to give him the C for such a short time. Unless the team knows they aren’t moving him at the draft - and I don’t know how they could know that right now because it would be irresponsible not to listen to the offers - then I would not give him the C. If they don’t move him AND sign him to a team friendly extension, then he can have the C. For now, no C on this team.

Reactions: egelband

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Agree with three ‘A’s for this year. I’d give it to Zucc if he re-signs. Would send a good message on a couple levels.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'd be surprised if Zucc wasn't the captain. I personally think he'll continue to take discounts to play as a NYR... A great person to have with all these young players coming in.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
You go with three A's.

The captaincy for this org isn't a light matter. Brad Richards, MSL... those were really good veteran leaders. The Rangers need a guy like that.

I love Zucc, but he's not the guy imo. Neither is Staal. Zucc due to how friendly and likeable he is, doesn't strike me as a guy that will come down on his teammates and hold them accountable.

Staal too casual. You need a guy that is either a very respected veteran, or a guy that can't stand losing with every inch in his body.

I always thought Ryan McD got the captaincy because some of the other guys didn't want it. Looking at Nash in particular. McD was not a good captain imo. Good guy, but not all good guys make good captains.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad