Speculation: So... Who's the Captain?

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013
Mats Zuccarello in 2021 when he figures out what a dogshit team he signed up for.

But right now it's going to be Zibanejad unless Skjei steps his game up and takes his rightful place as the true heir to the throne.

WilsonNY14

Jun 18, 2018
Lias Andersson just for chucking that silver metal into the stands at WJC. So much character, just needs to perform better.

In all seriousness, it's hard to give the C to anyone when the only person deserving of it is Henrik Lundqvist. They should change the rule so you can give the goalie the C. Otherwise, just hand out As until Lundqvist is gone. Then, FIGHT TO THE DEATH!

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
It's going to be someone who is both a veteran AND expected to be here longer than another 1-2 years. They're playing the long game here. Forget Staal, forget anyone who just played their first or second NHL season, no matter HOW big an a**hole they may be. ;) IF they name one for this year, you're pretty much down to Zibanejad, maybe Fast, MAYBE Kreider if extended in the offseason. Might just be a bunch of A's for now... from the limited insight of a West Jersey armchair it's hard to see a standout leader in this bunch right now.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Be bold. I’d give it to Panarin or Kakko. Screw the hierarchy. 3rd option would be Andersson if he has a wonderful camp and great first half of the season. That kid will be a captain in the NHL one day for sure.
These teams that give the C to a kid who they just drafted are horrible. He has enough pressure. Let's make our captain a guy who doesn't speak english yet. "Take what you want from that motivational speech boys, nobody knows what the hell he said, but Damn it, he meant business..."

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Probably Mika gets the C and they do four As rotating at home and away. It's really early to say who gets them because of the uncertainty with Kreider but as of this moment: Staal, Kreider, Fast, Trouba. Other players in that conversation could be Panarin or Boyle.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Whatever they decide, I hope they keep it to three letters. I'm not a fan of rotations. "Listen to Bob, but only on the road."

Reactions: Siddi

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I think captaincy is outdated and unnecessary.

I also think it would be a horrendous idea to give it to

A) A rookie. For those saying Kakko. There's also a huge difference between a leader and a star player. They are not one and the same.

B) A newcomer. How can you give Panarin the captaincy when he hasn't even stepped on the ice with his teammates?

C) A guy who is going to be gone soon. Kreider? Staal? Shattenkirk with an A? The latter two are certainly gone, either soon, or once their contracts are up, next year. Unless Kreider re-signs, the only interest I would have in giving it to him would be to watch us maintain the streak of trading captains. Simply for amusement purposes.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
Meanwhile, at the Hall of Justice...

The captaincy in Toronto is down to Tavares and Rielly. I hope it's the latter.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
I'll tell you who it isn't...

Zuccarello. Suck it Webby!
latest

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
The answers in this thread indicate to me, just like last year, that nobody is ready to be the Captain.

I’d like to see Zib bring the same level of effort and consistency for another season before giving him a bigger leadership role.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
I think captaincy is outdated and unnecessary.

I also think it would be a horrendous idea to give it to

A) A rookie. For those saying Kakko. There's also a huge difference between a leader and a star player. They are not one and the same.

B) A newcomer. How can you give Panarin the captaincy when he hasn't even stepped on the ice with his teammates?

C) A guy who is going to be gone soon. Kreider? Staal? Shattenkirk with an A? The latter two are certainly gone, either soon, or once their contracts are up, next year. Unless Kreider re-signs, the only interest I would have in giving it to him would be to watch us maintain the streak of trading captains. Simply for amusement purposes.

Agreed. There really aren't many strong candidates to receive the C today. A year from now there could be several.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
These teams that give the C to a kid who they just drafted are horrible. He has enough pressure. Let's make our captain a guy who doesn't speak english yet. "Take what you want from that motivational speech boys, nobody knows what the hell he said, but Damn it, he meant business..."

Hahahhaha have you heard Esa Tikkanen speak English? I don’t think it matters!

mike14

Rampage Sherpa
Jun 22, 2006
Melbourne
The answers in this thread indicate to me, just like last year, that nobody is ready to be the Captain.

I’d like to see Zib bring the same level of effort and consistency for another season before giving him a bigger leadership role.

The answers should indicate that nobody on this board really understands the team dynamics or what goes on in the locker room, so it's all just speculation based on personal preference for how each individual views the role of a captain, which is likely very, very different to how the team views things.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

What is the hurry? Why not see how the season unfolds first?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00