Dermott-Ozhiganov
Carrick
Holl

Andersen
Sparks

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Pick a name out of a hat: Mcelhinney Sparks Pickard.

Marleau Matthews Nylander
Hyman Tavares Marner
Leivo Kadri Brown
Ennis Lindholm Kapanen
Johnsson

Rielly Zaitsev
Gardiner Hainsey
Dermott Ozhiganov
Rosen Holl Carrick (until Nylander signs)

Andersen
_______

One player too many there.
It's a shame that Gauthier won't be on the team though. I really thought he'd be a shoe-in this year.
Some first round draft picks just don't pan out right....

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm keeping the guy that's a decade younger and not throwing him overboard because of a couple of pre-season games for a career backup in the twilight of his career

Especially since Sparks was excellent one night against Ottawa (in the second half) and one of the other performances was just as bad as McElhinney's tonight (because, like McE, the defense was hardly doing anything to help). So really the one thing separating him was that game in Buffalo, which too was not really a terrible performance despite the stats.

Pickard played well but he did not play much. So it's hard to tell.

Reactions: Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Fair enough what above Pickard? he was also better than Sparks

There were 4 goalies in camp Sparks was #4 by a mile

I don't mind Pickard and think he may be the best option out of the three but management doesn't seem to hold him in very high regard so I didn't bother with him

Reactions: TimeZone

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
So despite Sparkd being dog **** all pre season and being by far the worst goalie in camp you'd STILL hand Sparks the job?

He can't do it he's proven it

Mac was bad tonight Sparks was bad every night

Not the most shocking addition honestly. I'm more surprised people think Jooris, Rosen or Holl should be anywhere near this lineup. Jooris wasn't terrible, but Gauthier was better, and Holl was hot garbage literally every game. He did not even have many great moments in games. It was just consistently bad. These guys are both career AHLers. Rosen had high high's and low low's but with his exemption was no where near good enough and needs another year in the AHL. He still has NHL potential and should earn a callup here or there, but that's it.

At least in net you are having to pick between three guys who are good enough to play in the NHL.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I'm keeping the guy that's a decade younger and not throwing him overboard because of a couple of pre-season games for a career backup in the twilight of his career

then why keep sparks?
pickard isn't old?

Reactions: Schooner

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not the most shocking addition honestly. I'm more surprised people think Jooris, Rosen or Holl should be anywhere near this lineup. Jooris wasn't terrible, but Gauthier was better, and Holl was hot garbage literally every game. He did not even have many great moments in games. It was just consistently bad. These guys are both career AHLers. Rosen had high high's and low low's but with his exemption was no where near good enough and needs another year in the AHL. He still has NHL potential and should earn a callup here or there, but that's it.

At least in net you are having to pick between three guys who are good enough to play in the NHL.

In Holl's case it's either him or Carrick as the #7 and Carrick is awful

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
then why keep sparks?
pickard isn't old?

Management doesn't seem to rate him Daisy, I think he's probably the best option out of the three but if Dubas and Babcock aren't in his corner what's the point in arguing for him?

I think Sparks swims in the crease like a fish and McBackup had an unsustainably good year last year and is going to regress hard but what do I know?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Carrick is better, analytically he's a better than average #6 and Holl hasn't done anything to make me believe he's even capable of that

Rielly Gardiner

Hainsey Zaitsev

Dermott OZ

Neither Carrick or Holl is likely making the top 6

Carrick is at best #7 and at worst #9

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
For the record, if one of Kadri, Matthews, or Tavares has to miss a game, Nylander gets slotted over to 3C and the wingers move up one slot.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Rielly Gardiner

Hainsey Zaitsev

Dermott OZ

Neither Carrick or Holl is likely making the top 6

Carrick is at best #7 and at worst #9

I'd hold up about anointing Ozhiganov a genuine top 6D until we see him play against NHL calibre line-ups with something to play for, he looked suspect against Detroit, especially his skating

Carrick's younger than Holl, he's more proven at the NHL level than Holl and he's looked really good beside Dermott in actual NHL games

That's why you waive Holl and keep Carrick as the #7D

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
if these are our top 6, good luck at #7 guy getting in any games unless the Oz kid falters.
  • Rielly
  • Gardiner
  • Hainsey
  • Zaitsev
  • Dermott
  • OZ

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
The eyetest and the few stats I've seen suggest that Carrick has beaten out Holl and Rosen for the #7 D spot.

Marleau - Matthews - Ennis(Nylander)
Hyman - Tavares - Marner
Levio - Kadri - Brown
Johnson(Ennis) - Lindholm - Kapanen
Gauthier(Johnson)

Rielly - Zietsev!
Gardiner - Hainsey
Dermott - OZ
Carrick

Andersen
McBackup
Sparks

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Leivo-Kadri-Kapanen
Johnsson-Lindholm-Brown
Ennis

Rielly-Hainsey
Gardiner-Zaitsev
Dermott-Ozhiganov
Borgman

Andersen
Pickard/McBackup

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I find it hilarious how much stock people put in preseason games for goalies. They mean nothing. Guys come in halfway through and play with random players with no structure.

Sparks was the best goalie in the Ahl last year and beat out pickard last year. Now people want him out based on a week?

If we went by preseason or even October’s mac would be our starter over Freddie too

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Agreed here. I do think Carrick is more valuable than Holl but if they can find trade value for Carrick to a rebuilding/retooling team, then I'm down for this lineup.

They might pre emptively waive Gauthier, Pickard and McBackup or Sparks and a couple others through the massive waive of cuts tomorrow so that they can perhaps try to squeak the players down. It's a lot easier than in a few weeks when teams might not be happy with their current depth or due to injuries.
Good point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad