Speculation: So Who Should Stay And Who Should Go From The Current Roster?

dem

Mar 17, 2002
It's pretty obvious who needs to go... Starting with Belanger and Whitney.

Smyth is done in hockey
Hemsky is done with the Oilers

Next season it's time for Hall/RNH/Eberle to start playing 20-21 minutes a night. That's what star players play in this league.

dixs35

Jan 26, 2010
E-town
List of available Defensemen this offseason:
Toni Lydman
Ben Lovejoy
Aaron Johnson
Wade Redden
Andrew Ference
Adam Pardy
Alexander Sulzer
Anton Babchuk
Brett Carson
Joe Corvo
Marc Andre-Bergeron
Michal Rozsival
Sean Sullivan
Adrian Aucoin
Ian White
Tyson Strachan
Rob Scuderi
Robyn Regehr
Brett Clark
Davis Drewiske
Marek Zidlicky
Peter Harrold
Mark Streit
Radek Martinek
Matt Gilroy
Roman Hamrlik
Steve Eminger
Andre Beniot
Sergei Gonchar
Mike Lundin
Matt Walker
Kurtis Foster
Kent Huskins
Andreas Lilja
Douglas Murray
Mark Eaton
Scott Hannan
Jordan Leopold
Matheiu Roy
Michael Kostka
Andrew Alberts
Ryan O'Byrne
Cam Barker
Tom Poti
Ron Hainsey
Grant Clitsome
Derek Meech

Very ugly offseason for available defensemen.

That may not be a great list, but there are some names on this list that could help too some degree. Plus there will be some interesting names in play with buyouts and trades to get below the cap.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Don't let the door hit you on the way out: Jones, Petrel, Smithson, Whitney, Khabibulin and Peckham.
Jones: On a night to night basis his compete level isn't high enough. He wasn't worth 1 mill this year, let alone 1.5M.
Petrel: Unless we be taking a ton of penalties, we don't need this guy. His 5 on 5 play is horrible.
Smithson: Way too slow for the NHL. Resign him and have him on as a 13th forward if there's nobody better to pick up.
Whitney: No heart and no wheels.
Khabibulin: Old and injury prone. Let Philly take their chances. LOL
Peckham: Too slow, makes bad decisions in all zones in all situations all the time.

Trade this guy, buy him out or burry his ass in the minors: Hemsky, Belanger and Eager
Hemsky: We're a better team when he isn't playing. He holds onto the puck for too long. Doesn't shoot often enough and screws the powerplay up way too often due to those faults. He's easily tradable
Belanger: Who cares if he wins faceoffs? That's all he does. If you take away his ability to win faceoffs 80% of the AHL players out there are more effective than he is. I would only want him back if we could have a "pinch skater" standing behind him every time we took a faceoff and have Belanger go back to the bench every time after he's taken a faceoff. It's so annoying to see him on the ice. Put him on waivers.
Eager: Kinda obvious, since he's already been waived. Doesn't do what he's supposed to do. He's not going to be a top 6 forward. He's not even ever going to be a 3rd line forward. Dork.

Don't you dare trade him! (In order of importance to the team) Hall, Gagner, Hopkins, Yakupov, Smid, Schultz, Dubnyk, Petry, Eberle, Magnus and Lander
Hall: He's the heart and soul of the team. He's the hardest working player and right now he's the best player. Without him this would've been our worst season EVER. And that's saying a lot since we didn't suffer too much from injuries this year.
Gagner: Right now he's our best center. Yes, Hopkins was hurting, but Gagner was amazing this year playing with less capable wingers while putting up a ton of points compared to his previous seasons. I'm under the impression that he loves being an Oiler and I think it's nuts to be rash about trading guys like this.
Hopkins: His 2-way game looked amazing this year. His shoulders hampered his ability to put up big numbers. It's surprising how physical he's learning to play. He will be a star.
Yakupov: He'll probably turn out better than Hall. End of discussion.
Smid: Don't let his cap hit fool you. He's an elite shutdown d-man. He'd fit in nicely on the first pairing of a ton of teams out there, including playoff bound teams.

Schultz: He needs to put on a little more weight. He needs a decent partner. He's going to be a damn good top 4 d-man. I think it's too early to say he'll turn into a first pairing d-man, given his age and skill set he should be an Oiler for as long as possible.
Dubby: He was blessed this year. Sometimes he gives up a lame goal but his stats were off the chart this year. We're not going to find anyone else out there who can do what he can do unless we cough up some significant assets.
Petry: Looked like an elite 2nd pairing d-man on most nights this year. I predict he'll score 40 points next year. It's only a matter of time considering how smooth he is with the puck. It's sick how many takeaways he got this year. Really hard guy to play up against.
Eberle: If it were a full 82 game year he'd be on pace for 30 goals and 60 points and people are saying he had an off-year. Who is this guy, Ovechkin? Crosby? Of course not, but that's still sick. You don't trade away guys like that especially if you've got him locked up for 6 years.
Magnus: This guy is the perfect third line left winger. Don't blame him that the GM(s) can't find a better guy to put on the second line. Hopefully he'll take the next step next year. Maybe put on a little more weight and start throwing it around more often.
Lander: I nominate this man to play 4th line center next year. He's decent on face-offs and his compete level is always high.

Stop giving this guy so many minutes! Nick Schultz and Corey Potter
Schultz: It's way too easy to play against this guy. He doesn't do anything REALLY well. I'm convinced that he really held Justin Schultz back this year.
Potter: He went on a hot streak at the end of the year but before that he was just horrible. I'm ok with having him on as a 7th d-man.

LET HIM PLAY! Hartikainen
Hartikainen: Perfect to have him playing on the 4th line wing.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! Horcoff
Horcoff: Yes, salary sucks... but we're better with him in the line-up. I assume he'l be back because we've already got so many holes in our line-up.

Hall-Hopkins-Eberle
____-Gagner-Yakupov
Magnus-Horcoff-____
____-Lander-Hartikainen
Smithson

Petry-Smid
J.Schultz____
_______ N.Schultz
Potter

Dubby
_____

6 spots to fill. That's a ton of work. Maybe there's a UFA out there who'll be good for the 3rd line LW and we can have Magnus stick on the 2nd line just because there's nobody around who's better for the job.

Should be able to get a competent 3rd line RW for Hemsky. Maybe we add a 2nd rounder or something to get us a competent 2nd pairing stay at home d-man.

I want to see Klefbom start the year in the AHL. I won't be impressed if we just throw him to the lions.

Shouldn't be hard to find a decent back-up goalie to play 25 games.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
So add to the D. Did you see my post on that?

Maybe all this team needs is Brodziak since he is the best plater in Oiler history.

Yeah, no real difference makers there either. It's a pretty poor market this year since most of the premiere players were signed awhile ago.

Angry Boys

Jun 23, 2009
If Horcoff stays, he needs to relinquish the Captaincy or any leadership role. When things started going bad after the trade deadline, we really needed our Captain to step up and inspire and lead - we didnt see any signs of this.
Its even more important whilst we have a coach who isnt a fire and brimstone guy, that our on ice leader holds the team accountable at crucial times - through his words and his actions

Njd86

May 9, 2010
If Horcoff stays, he needs to relinquish the Captaincy or any leadership role. When things started going bad after the trade deadline, we really needed our Captain to step up and inspire and lead - we didnt see any signs of this.
Its even more important whilst we have a coach who isnt a fire and brimstone guy, that our on ice leader holds the team accountable at crucial times - through his words and his actions
Sounds like Hallsy to me :thumbu:

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Yeah, no real difference makers there either. It's a pretty poor market this year since most of the premiere players were signed awhile ago.

You are just wrong. There are a couple of guys I cited that are much better than we have. That improves our D and that cuts down our goals against. That means a greater chance of wins. :nod:

Add Klefbom as a spare or better, Ference and Streit and our D looks like:

Streit-Smid
Ference-Schultz
Schultz-Klefbom/Petry
Fistric/Potter

Way better than our current crew.

Also, if we actually get four lines that can play away from the puck and chip in some goals, we are an instant playoff team. Agree to disagree, but what we need is available, MacT just has to deliver in getting it.

Edit: I just paired who would play well together. Some guys may be on the wrong side but you get the point.

Last edited:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia

Not true. He's a good leader. He's just not a 70+ point guy

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Close to untouchable as possible:

Hall
RNH
Yakupov
Eberle
J.Schultz

Really hard to move:
Klefbom
Smid

Can be had for the right price:
Gagner
Paajarvi
Lander
Harti
Brown
Petry

Don't care:
Smithson
Petrell
Jones
Horcoff (I wouldn't die if he stuck around for another year)
N.Schultz

Go away:
Hemsky
Smyth
Whitney
Peckham
Potter
Belanger
Khabi

Not sure if I missed anybody. I just know that we have a lot of dead weight to get rid of this season. Hoping MacT does a complete overhaul of the bottom 6 and D-core. An upgrade in grit in the top 6 and in goal would be nice too.

Hey good list. Guess no need to make my own now. 7-12 new faces in one offseason would be pretty crazy. It seems we keep unloading dead weight every year and it just keeps coming back. Kind of depressing but I have a ton more confidence in Mact than I ever had in Tambi.

KlimasLoveChild

Feb 25, 2012
Skating fast doesn't mean anything when you can't do anything else, or when you're spinning around in circles in the defensive zone.

I'm no big fan of Brown but he can skate,hit,fight and has a cheap ticket. I'm guessing he has a job as a 13 or 14 forward next year.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
It's easy enough to flush the turds and sign some stopgaps, but if MacT wants a winner this year, he must find a way to eliminate 2 of the following 3 from the payroll:

Horcoff
Hemsky
N. Schultz

None of them can play important minutes anymore, the raises for Hall and Eberle are kicking in, and the cap is dropping. It might be time for Katz to re-invest some of that $15-17M he's been saving on the payroll. Buyouts, junk-for-junk trades, demotions, whatever. Time to free up capspace to bring in contributors like Streit or Clarkson. Maybe even a guy like Boyd Gordon for the bottom-6.

It's time for MacT to step up and show leadership by putting competitiveness before loyalty.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Stay for sure: Hall, RNH, Yakupov, Eberle, J Schultz, Paajarvi, Smid
Wouldn't mind seeing them back: Gagner, Petry, Dubnyk, Brown, Fistric, Lander, Hartikainen
Hopefully we'll have better options: Horcoff, Jones, Petrell, Smithson, N Schultz, Khabibulin
Get these lazy losers off the team: Hemsky, Smyth, Belanger, Whitney, Potter

McNutty780

Apr 12, 2011
Hall, RNH, Eberle, MPS, J Shultz, Smid, Yakupov

Everyone else can get the **** out as far as I'm concerned, but that wont happen

If half of those clowns are shipped out I'll be impressed

Oct 30, 2011
Wouldn't mind seeing them back: Gagner, Petry, Dubnyk, Brown, Fistric, Lander, Hartikainen
Hopefully we'll have better options: Horcoff, Jones, Petrell, Smithson, N Schultz, Khabibulin

I agree for the most part, but I disagree with lumping in Hemsky with that group. I think Hemsky is between Group 2 and Group 3.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
It's easy enough to flush the turds and sign some stopgaps, but if MacT wants a winner this year, he must find a way to eliminate 2 of the following 3 from the payroll:

Horcoff
Hemsky
N. Schultz

None of them can play important minutes anymore, the raises for Hall and Eberle are kicking in, and the cap is dropping. It might be time for Katz to re-invest some of that $15-17M he's been saving on the payroll. Buyouts, junk-for-junk trades, demotions, whatever. Time to free up capspace to bring in contributors like Streit or Clarkson. Maybe even a guy like Boyd Gordon for the bottom-6.

It's time for MacT to step up and show leadership by putting competitiveness before loyalty.

I give Schultz a pass because he was playing by himself most nights. Jultz is a huge reason for him looking as bad as he does. Jultz should have had some nights off to rest and learn. Nultz's +/- is a direct result of his partner and being used as a 2-4 guy when he should be a 4-5 guy.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada

I am not a Smyth apologist and agree he needs to go, but he is our least lazy player.

McOilers4cup

Finally
Jul 14, 2007
High Hopes
The hard ones to get rid of are Hemsky 1 yr 5 mil , Smyth 1 yr 2.25 mil , N. Schultz 1 yr 3.5 mil Belanger 1 yr 1.75 mil and obvoiously Horcoff 2 yr 5.5 mil

Hemsky is the only one with any value at all as little as it is

Ouch

Hockey Buddha

Darnell Nurse
Aug 24, 2005
25-year-old UFA defenseman Bobby Sanguinetti looks like a raw offensive talent on the blueline, with blazing speed. Could be a late bloomer. Needs to be paired with someone who is defensively responsible, someone like Smid. I'd sign him to a 3-year, 2-way deal. Relatively little risk and he might be ready to turn the corner.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I give Schultz a pass because he was playing by himself most nights. Jultz is a huge reason for him looking as bad as he does. Jultz should have had some nights off to rest and learn. Nultz's +/- is a direct result of his partner and being used as a 2-4 guy when he should be a 4-5 guy.

He's really a bottom-pairing guy making middle- to top-pairing money, IMO. His defensive coverage was rather poor and his puck-moving/offensive skills are weak.

If MacT can move Horc and Hemmer for cheaper players I could live with him, but losing a guy like Nick isn't a concern for me at all.

dobiezeke*

Stortini could take a pass, or skate without losing control of the puck. Otherwise they're about equal in their ability to be hit in the face.

I've just never understood the point of that type of player. If you're going to waste a roster spot on that, waste it on MacIntyre. Otherwise there are plenty of guys who can throw a check while still being able to handle the puck better than bantam kids.

They're both marginal fighters and abysmal hockey players. Granted my view of Brown is probably worsened due to Krueger constantly throwing him on the ice against first or second lines, but he looked varying degrees of lost no matter who he was out there against.

Discussing the worth of Brown/Storts is like comparing the smell of cat crap and dog crap...at the end of the day they are both s**t.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
I will go against the grain and say keep potter, he played pretty good without Whitney on his side.

Ever since the early-season Potter vs. Whitney debate on this board, Potter has excelled in his very limited role, whereas Whitney bled scoring chances and saw more the bench and pressbox. It was quite the turning point. I don't think anyone has been too down on Potter this year. Especially considering his modest salary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad