Speculation: So Who Should Stay And Who Should Go From The Current Roster?

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
my opinion is this.....

i would like to see stay..... Hall, Ebs, RNH, Yak, Smid, DD, Brown, Fistric, Horc, Potter, Petry, Paajarvi, Petrell, Khabby.

i would like to see go.....Hemsky--don't really need the guy anymore, we have a lot of players like him...could fetch a low 1st rounder, high 2nd at the draft, or a more physical player in a trade.
....Whitney--isn't the player he once was, plays too soft for a big man, don't really need the guy. trade for pick or physical forward.
....Peckham--we really don't need him, the Oil should trade him if they aren't going to use him...try to get a pick for him?
....Jones--like the guy, but we need a bigger and tougher version of him.
....Gagner--stalk is high, could get great return in a trade, but who replaces him? we would need Barkov or MacKinnon here and playing in order to trade him.

the rest of the roster is likely in play if MacT is a man of his word.

what do you think?

McOilers4cup

Finally
Jul 14, 2007
High Hopes
In my estimation here is the players out for next year and what the Oilers will be looking for in the offseason

Out ( almost gauranteed ) Khabibulin , Whitney , Peckham ,Jones , Belanger
Out ( probably in right deal ) Gagner , Hemsky , Hartikainen
Out ( on the fence ) Fistric ,N.Schultz ,Potter
Out ( would like to see not sure what MacT does ) Smyth , Smithson

That's a lot of change

Line-up

Hall RNH Yakupov
PRV big centre Eberle
Xxx Horcoff xxx
Xxx Xxx Brown
Petrell

Petry Smid
J.Schultz Xxx
Klefbom. Xxx

Dubnyk
Xxx

I believe the team will need at least a goalie , 2 Defencemen , 3 or 4 forwards via trade or free agent

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
In my estimation here is the players out for next year and what the Oilers will be looking for in the offseason

That's a lot of change

Line-up

Hall RNH Yakupov
PRV big centre Eberle
Xxx Horcoff xxx
Xxx Xxx Brown
Petrell

Petry Smid
J.Schultz Xxx
Klefbom. Xxx

Dubnyk
Xxx

I believe the team will need at least a goalie , 2 Defencemen , 3 or 4 forwards via trade or free agent

is there a backup that would come here and play any better than Khabby for about 15 games next year? that's why i wouldn't be against them re-signing him.

Harti just hasn't shown enough, so if he goes, no big deal in my book.
agree that Fistric, Potter and N. Schultz are all on the fence. don't really care one way or the other i guess, but wouldn't be against seeing Fistric and Potter come back.
and maybe leave the 4th line of Smyth/Brown/Smithson together for one more year to see what they can do in a full year? i thought there was some chemistry there.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
is there a backup that would come here and play any better than Khabby for about 15 games next year? that's why i wouldn't be against them re-signing him.

Harti just hasn't shown enough, so if he goes, no big deal in my book.
agree that Fistric, Potter and N. Schultz are all on the fence. don't really care one way or the other i guess, but wouldn't be against seeing Fistric and Potter come back.
and maybe leave the 4th line of Smyth/Brown/Smithson together for one more year to see what they can do in a full year? i thought there was some chemistry there.

Concern with signing Khabbi is that you know he can't carry the load at any point without getting injured. If Dubnyk gets hurt at some point you can't rely on Bulin to start more than 4 or 5 games without tweaking his groin/back/hip. Then you are forced to roll with two minor leaguers.

You need a backup who can stay healthy.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
Stay: Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Paajarvi, Brown, Smid, Petry, Schultz, Dubnyk
Go: Everyone else

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Smyth, Smithson, Petrell, Jones, Brown, Belanger, Eager, Hordichuk... all contribute pretty much nothing.

Brewster

Mar 20, 2012
Canada
100% should be back: Hall, Eberle, Hopkins, Yakupov, Paajarvi, Petry, Smid, J. Schultz, Dubnyk

Could be traded/released but would like back: Gagner, Brown, N. Schultz, Petrell, Khabibulan, Fistric

Rather be gone but will be back: Horcoff (based on the contract, not the performance), Smyth, Smithson, Potter

Better be gone: Belanger, Eager, Peckham, Whitney

How I see it.

HallnEbs

Jan 25, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Am I the only one who doesn't mind Smithson as our 4th line C? He doesn't get pushed around, a good veteran, great in the dot and with a couple crash and bang wingers (Brown and ...?) is the makeup for a good shutdown/energy line. I'd keep him.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Concern with signing Khabbi is that you know he can't carry the load at any point without getting injured. If Dubnyk gets hurt at some point you can't rely on Bulin to start more than 4 or 5 games without tweaking his groin/back/hip. Then you are forced to roll with two minor leaguers.

You need a backup who can stay healthy.

Does Dwayne Roloson still play?:laugh:

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
Am I the only one who doesn't mind Smithson as our 4th line C? He doesn't get pushed around, a good veteran, great in the dot and with a couple crash and bang wingers (Brown and ...?) is the makeup for a good shutdown/energy line. I'd keep him.

I don't see why Smithson would want to stay here though.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

That's a lot of change

Line-up

Hall RNH Yakupov
PRV big centre Eberle
Xxx Horcoff xxx
Xxx Xxx Brown
Petrell

Petry Smid
J.Schultz Xxx
Klefbom. Xxx

Dubnyk
Xxx

This looks about right to me although I'd move Brown and Jones to the "On The Fence" list. I think ideally you only want one of Jones, Smyth, and Brown on the roster because of the limited scope of what they bring and based on the last several games I'd take Jones and look for somebody with toughness who plays better than Brown to replace him. I really hope Smyth is gone for next year. He was already gifted a season for previous accomplishments with the Oilers. They don't owe him anything.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
There are just too many guys on this roster that are question marks.

Go look at all of the top teams. If you list every player you won't look at a guy and say, "hmmm I wonder how he will play today?"

I see that with Hemsky (Biggest culprit), Gags a tad (He tries though), Horcoff (Absolute black hole of a player), and a whole lot of others.

I was always easy on Horc, but god that guy is just a nothing player. Someone here posted his stats.

Ok, his stats suck right? Does he do anything to create emotion? NOPE

Does he hit? NOPE

What does this guy do? I'll have a party when him and Hemmer are outta here.

SchultzSquared*

Stay: RNH Hall Eberle Yakupov Gagner Paajarvi Brown Schultz Smid Petry Klefbom Fistric Potter Lander Hartski Dubnyk (why not one more year to prove his worth)
Go: Everybody else

Hall-RNH-Eberle
?-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-?-?
?-?-Brown

Smid-Petry
?-J. Schultz
Fistric-?
Potter

(Klefbom in AHL to start)

Dubnyk
?

Fill the ?s with nobody smaller than 6'2-6'3 and we are a playoff team next year... ideally it is Clowe for the LW spot... Antropov 3C... Clarkson for third line RW... we trade our pick for a big LD...

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Clowe-Gagner-Yakupov
Paajarvi-Antropov-Clarkson
Hartikainen-Lander-Brown
Smyth Belanger

Smid-Petry
Yandle-Schultz
Fistric-Lovejoy
Potter

DreamTheatre

Jul 7, 2008
Sylvan Lake, AB
For me it is:

Untouchables:

Hall
Yak
RNH
J. Shultz
Smid
Dubnyk
Petry
Paajarvi

Could be had for the right price:

Eberle (bigtime right price)
Gagner
N. Shultz
Brown
Fistric

Could be had for lower than the right price:

Hemsky
Potter
Jones

Then Everyone else doesn't really matter

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Smithson is an example of a guy who just goes through the motions or isn't looking to make a difference(as MacT said) that we need to start getting away from.

Cerebral

Aug 4, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Nystrom-Smithson-Brown would be a decent fourth line to start with. Lots of energy, good on faceoffs, and a good cycling trio.

I'm still not sold on Brown though - he works hard but I don't think he brings a ton to the table besides scrapping. I hope we make a move for Nystrom because he's exactly the kind of fourth liner we need.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Brown is the definition of "grit without skill" that MacTavish was talking about. He makes Stortini look good.

Muscles Glasses

Jul 9, 2007
Edmonton
The only players who I do not want back in any shape or form are Whitney, Peckham, Khabibulin, Smyth, Belanger and Jones. Everybody else I would keep or indifferent to.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Based on a roster of 14F, 7D and 2G:

Stay: Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi, Yakupov, RNH, Gagner, Hemsky, Horcoff. Lander, Hartikainen, Brown, Smyth(barely, for 4th line), Smid, Petry, J.Schultz, Dubnyk

Go: Jones, Petrell, Belanger, Whitney, Khabibulin, N.Schultz, Fistric, Peckham, Smithson, Eager

Bring In: Top nine forward with size/grit, Top 2 D-man, 2 more NHL d-men, backup goalie, depth center, other depth players

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad