Speculation: So who goes?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The problem with waiving Cleary, as others have pointed out, is that now you have to put a kid in the pressbox. I'm not entirely opposed to that being Nestrasil, but only because I don't see him as a long-term Wing. However, I doubt the Wings see it that way.

Keep the same people in the lineup, waive Cleary, and bring up Ferraro or Callahan as the 13th/14th.

In the event that you actually need to use that extra skater, now you could.

VM1138

Apr 30, 2007
I understand the hate for having Cleary on the roster still, but this is borderline irrational. Waiving Cleary does not change the fact that Franzen will force someone out. I think most agree we shouldn't touch our 4th line at this point, so that means one of Jurco or Nestrasil is sitting in the pressbox. That does no good for anybody.

Jurco has long been my personal favorite prospect. The day we drafted him I thought we had drafted our next Datsyuk (in my defence, I didn't realize the stylistic differences at the time plus he seems like a completely different player under Babcock.) His occasional slump hasn't diminished my expectations whatsoever. I firmly believe the guy, if developed correctly, can one day be as effective as Mantha. That said, even I think he should be sent down. He just looks like a guy whose still on his first "cup of coffee" and needs a little more time, kind of like what Nyquist, Sheahan and Tatar all looked like during their first call-up. Plus, you put Nestrasil in his place on the Kid Line and maybe Nesty's trade value starts to improve (I don't think he has much of a future here) and we can get something for him.

Nestrasil doesn't really have a future here. We've already got a ton of bottom 6 talent. Jurco could be trade-bait, but another stint in the AHL won't hurt his development at this point.

In short, it doesn't hurt anyone to take either one off the roster.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Keep the same people in the lineup, waive Cleary, and bring up Ferraro or Callahan as the 13th/14th.

In the event that you actually need to use that extra skater, now you could.

You are still 1 skater over the roster limit in that scenario, once Franzen is back.

Franzen is going to play, so one person needs to come out of the lineup, and one person needs to be waived.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You are still 1 skater over the roster limit in that scenario, once Franzen is back.

Franzen is going to play, so one person needs to come out of the lineup, and one person needs to be waived.

Well, math was never my strong suit.

Your screnario makes a lot of sense then.

crashman

They'll just send Jurco down.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
They'll just send Jurco down.

I think that's more likely than Cleary getting waived, but I'm not entirely convinced they won't waive Nestrasil. I highly doubt he'd be claimed (I'd make a healthy bet that he wouldn't). Which largely mitigates Jurco's waiver exemption. And since Jurco seems to have more of a future with the Wings, they may elect to keep him in the lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad