Speculation: So who goes?

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Jurco will and should go down to get more minutes, play with the puck some more, score some goals, and get his confidence back.

Dan Cleary can be the 14th forward, but he better not see the ice. If we're to the point that Cleary is up to see ice time, we better call Jurco back up. And Jurco should be called back up before the end of the season.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
My bet Ken Holland has seen the light and Dan Cleary will be rightfully waived.

Jurco hasn't been lighting the lamp but I don't think his play has been awful. The Kid line has been generating scoring chances. The puck just isn't going in right now. I'd like to see how he does once the Red Wings play lesser opponents.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
My bet Ken Holland has seen the light and Dan Cleary will be rightfully waived.

Jurco hasn't been lighting the lamp but I don't think his play has been awful. The Kid line has been generating scoring chances. The puck just isn't going in right now. I'd like to see how he does once the Red Wings play lesser opponents.

I agree that he can still be effective on the forecheck with his length, but he's not even playing on the Kid line anymore. Might as well let him go play and be more than a crasher and banger. Let him handle the puck down there.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
I agree that he can still be effective on the forecheck with his length, but he's not even playing on the Kid line anymore. Might as well let him go play and be more than a crasher and banger. Let him handle the puck down there.

If it's between Jurco and Cleary I'm taking Jurco every time. I think Jurco needs to stay up so long as his defensive play isn't suffering. He needs to play and train at this level to get through the rigors of a full NHL season.

When Franzen comes back I could see the lines going:

Abdelkader-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Helm-Datsyuk-Franzen
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Nestrasil-Glendening-Andersson/Miller

Datsyuk's shoulder should be better enough by then to start taking faceoffs again. The Kid line should also get easier matchups to get going offensively.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Holland sends Jurco down and Babcock proceeds to remember that he has a former 50 goal scorer who also happens to be the greatest leader in NHL history just sitting in the press box

Cleary gets inserted into the lineup and given 50 minutes of ice time/night for the next 10 games and the Wings proceed to lose those games by a combined score of 726-5(with every Wings goal scored by Cleary)

Holland praises Cleary's incredible work ethic and goal scoring ability and gives him a 5 year contract extension

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I don't know how it's not Jurco. One point in seven games, limited ice time, playing a bit like a guy gripping his stick too tight. Some time in GR to get his game going, get some confidence back, and re-find what he needs to do to be successful wouldn't be a bad thing.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
100% it's Jurco. He hasn't given KH a good reason to keep him up and waive Cleary.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
It should be Jurco being sent down. In all honesty he has been the least important forward in the regular starting lineup and should rightfully sit for Franzen even if he couldn't be sent back to Grand Rapids. Some more seasoning in GR should do him good.

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
There's no reason not to waive Cleary.

Correct.

It's now or never with Cleary.

Yeah, right. I can't conceive of the set of circumstances necessary to get Cleary waived. My guess is that we'd need to see Nestrasil score a bunch of goals, Jurco or Mantha rip the AHL to shreds, and every forward on the team healthy. Even then, Holland would probably elect to keep Cleary on the team even if he would bring up Jurco or Mantha under other circumstances.

I wonder: is Danny is providing his vaunted locker room leadership?

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
It's either Jurco, Nestrasil or Cleary.

Jurco is the most likely since he's waiver exempt and hasn't done much so far.

It's now or never with Cleary.

I think the latter part of that is far more important than anything else. For everyone who wants to send Cleary down, the question would still remain of who we take out of the lineup. And the guy who has probably most played his way out of the lineup is Jurco. He has fallen way short of expectations, seen his ESIT slashed from last season, and has done nothing with the gobs of powerplay time the team has fed him. When looking at the roster, who has outplayed? Maybe Nestrasil? And that's still a maybe.

People want to see Cleary exiled, but sending Jurco down would have more to do with getting the kid's head on straight than it would anything else. Send Jurco down, give him a bunch of minutes and responsibility in GR, and hope he can find his game again. GR's a better option than either seeing increasingly limited minutes in Detroit, or sitting in the pressbox.

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Aye. Didn't expect me to say that, but send Jurco down to get back on track. He's not really helping us right now.
Recall him when he's ready to go. That's gonna be soon enough, I'm pretty sure about that.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think the latter part of that is far more important than anything else. For everyone who wants to send Cleary down, the question would still remain of who we take out of the lineup. And the guy who has probably most played his way out of the lineup is Jurco. He has fallen way short of expectations, seen his ESIT slashed from last season, and has done nothing with the gobs of powerplay time the team has fed him. When looking at the roster, who has outplayed? Maybe Nestrasil? And that's still a maybe.

People want to see Cleary exiled, but sending Jurco down would have more to do with getting the kid's head on straight than it would anything else. Send Jurco down, give him a bunch of minutes and responsibility in GR, and hope he can find his game again. GR's a better option than either seeing increasingly limited minutes in Detroit, or sitting in the pressbox.

Waive Cleary. Call up Landon or Mitch as a 13th/14th forward. Send Jurco down to score some goals and get his mojo back. Put Mule back in the top 6 and slide Abby down to line 3.

Mule-Z-Nyquist
Tatar-Datsyuk-Helm
Nesty/Weiss-Sheahan-Abby
Miller-Glenny-Joker
Callahan/Ferraro

Call Jurco back up when injuries hit, or if one of the 3rd line wingers is underperforming.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Should be Cleary, but since Jurco is still waiver exempt he's the most logical choice here.

I think at this point it SHOULD be Jurco.

Jurco benefits not at all from sitting in the press box, which he sorta deserves at this point. He's not playing among the best 12 forwards once Franzen is back. Give him a ton of minutes in GR and hope his hands come back because right now they're bouncing all over the place. Cleary's not even playing so waiving him doesn't change diddly with regards to Jurco. It might change something with regards to Ouellet since it opens a roster spot and allows Kindl to sit for him.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
As much as he deserves to be waived, Cleary sitting in the pressbox doesn't have much to do with Jurco's situation here. Jurco's gotta play one way or the other and he will. We can afford to send him down and play a bigger role. Right now it makes a lot of sense.

That said, Nestrasil hasn't done more than Jurco. We can't send down Jurco down because we're afraid to lose Nestrasil, and we really shouldn't be either. Nestrasil hasn't convinced me he'll be an NHLer, let alone is one right now, and he's not an important player to any of the special teams. A preseason only takes you so far.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
As much as he deserves to be waived, Cleary sitting in the pressbox doesn't have much to do with Jurco's situation here. Jurco's gotta play one way or the other and he will. We can afford to send him down and play a bigger role. Right now it makes a lot of sense.

That said, Nestrasil hasn't done more than Jurco. We can't send down Jurco down because we're afraid to lose Nestrasil, and we really shouldn't be either. Nestrasil hasn't convinced me he'll be an NHLer, let alone is one right now, and he's not an important player to any of the special teams. A preseason only takes you so far.

Well... Who do we put on line 3 then? Nestrasil is underwhelming. Jurco has been underwhelming. Weiss has been meh for forever now.

Do we try some GR guys? Pulkkinen has that shot but looks like he has no clue what to do at NHL speed. Try out Athanasiou? Man, we need Mantha back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad