Speculation: So Which Backup Goalie Will The Oilers Try To Acquire This Summer?

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think it's going to be Cam Ward. Given their rebuilding situation, I can't see them being too eager to shell out $6.8 million for a guy delivering average starter performance who could walk at the end of the year.

As for the Oilers, average starter performance is what we need. Ward has been injured a lot recently, but when healthy, he's a legit starter. He has a .913 SV% and a 2.39 GAA on a bottom four team this year. That's what we need. As a plus, there's always the chance that he regains his past elite form. Who would covet that chance at 2006 Cam Ward more than MacTavish?

Scrivens and a pick or Fasth and a pick.

2015 Cam Ward is better than any starter we have had since Roli.

2006 Cam Ward and even this team could make the playoffs. Eakins' team wouldn't have been good enough, but Neslon's team is.

MrM

Oct 13, 2013
Earlier this season people scoffed at acquiring Cam Ward.

I would always contend that we need to buy low and sell high. The ability to do that however requires a shrewd judge of talent, something we are lacking with MacT.

It's another situation all together but at certain points this season the idea was floated about getting Adam Larsson from NJ or Tyler Myers from Buffalo. Those players were also deemed as complete crap. It seems the only players that are worth acquiring are the ones that are performing well at this very moment. Also, we'd like to trade our garbage for them.

Dug up an old post I made.

Originally Posted by MrM View Post
As an Oiler fan, I also think the Oilers are lacking a top tier D. OEL would definitely fit the bill, but prying him out of Phoenix would be next to impossible. The best we can do is hope that we have that guy in the system already in Klefbom or Nurse.

The only way one of these untouchable guys come available is due to special circumstance. One guy I was thinking of is Tyler Myers in Buffalo. His value is definitely low right now, and he's signed to a long term contract at 5.5 mill. That immediately makes him unattractive to some teams but there could be the possibility that the Sabres are willing to move him and lower their cap situation moving forward.

I'm sure every Sabres fan will come in saying he's untouchable, and to a point I'm sure he is, but this losing/rebuilding season for the Sabres might be one of those special circumstances.

the reply:

Myers is also garbage.

Last edited:

Lewy

May 26, 2011
I'm on the acquire Cam Ward bandwagon. Could be had for cheap. Hrs miles better than fasth or scrivezina.

Beranek

Mar 12, 2014
Not sure why they don't give Bachman a few games and see what he can do? Might as well, look at what that Hammond dude is doing in Ottawa.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I think Anderson is one of the best options right now.
Older veteran goalie with low mileage and a proven track record.

He has shown he can play 50-60+ games in the .911-.917 range.

His experience would also benefit the young defence IMO and he shouldn't be an expensive acquisition in terms of what the Oilers would have to give up.

I also think he would pair nicely with Scrivens (for the last year on his contract) who can play well in spurts but isnt close to being #1 material.

McQuixote

Jan 27, 2006
Edmonton, AB
Unless he runs the Sharks to the Cup, I think it's going to be Niemi and I don't think it's going to cost all that much, though the term will be scary.

I think $4x4 will do it. Where else is he going to get that much money and a starter's opportunity? Maybe Buffalo.

Anderson would be great, but Ottawa isn't under the gun and I think they'd ask a hefty price.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Unless he runs the Sharks to the Cup, I think it's going to be Niemi and I don't think it's going to cost all that much, though the term will be scary.

I think $4x4 will do it. Where else is he going to get that much money and a starter's opportunity? Maybe Buffalo.

Anderson would be great, but Ottawa isn't under the gun and I think they'd ask a hefty price.

Apparently the Senators really like Lehner.
I think the only flaw in this is that he is currently out with a concussion because they were playing him a ton prior to that injury.

I have actually seen Niemi play more than I have seen Anderson and he really doesnt inspire confidence like Anderson does IMO especially at the salary he is likely to command.

I hope the Oiler take a pass on Niemi.

aki

Apr 7, 2003
Visit site
Devan wouldn't/won't sign in Edmonton.

Good. I wouldn't want to have him back.

Anyone remember how terrible he was here last season? Or have we all purged those traumatic memories?

Anyone remember Brian Boucher and his ridiculous shutout streak? And then what happened to him?

Notwithstanding his new head tracking technique and his rediscovered confidence, I doubt he is the next Georges Vezina.

Time will tell, but I can't see him keeping this up.

Kovacs

Jul 22, 2013
Alberta
Still too unproven for my liking. I would like to see the team go after a more established starter over a back up, like what Calgary did in getting Hiller. Ward might be someone I might take a look at but his injury history leaves me extremely nervous.

Too bad MAF signed an extension in Pitt, I would have thrown significant money his way if he had hit UFA.

would you give up good assests for him?

If Pittsburgh playoffs end early because of Fleury, it wouldn't be that suprising to see real changes there imo.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Problem is there isn't much out there and of course, EDM would have to actually land them. Tough to do. People give MacT hell, but it has to be tough, especially when he works the phones on players he wants and doesn't even get a sniff of a chance. He has back up plans of course, but short of trading away much of the top talent, I can see why it's so tough to fill the holes.

Not sure why they don't give Bachman a few games and see what he can do? Might as well, look at what that Hammond dude is doing in Ottawa.

For the most part he's played great whenever he's gotten the chance to play. Can't hurt to throw him in to see what he has. He's also 27 years old, so that has to count for something I hope.

Last edited:

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

4x4 is too much IMO. It's likely what he is going to get but I don't wanna be the one paying it to him. I'd do 4m/2yrs or 3m/3yrs. As I already said though I'd much rather go after someone who is a on the verge of breaking out or has a realistic shot at becoming a #1 rather than a guy who, in my opinion, is on a downward spiral.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
I wonder if nucks qualifies Markstrom in the summer ($1.4M)? He's had a bounce back year in the AHL, and seems to have matured after getting traded last year. Not an ideal option, but Ive always liked his potential.

Markstrom might be the kind of guy we're going to be talking about. It won't be a young guy I would wager, it would almost certainly have to be a Bishop like situation, where there is a starter in place, and two prospects fighting for the backup spot, one of which is about to have his contract expire. That's the only way we get a goalie like that for a fair price, so Markstrom or Lack could be it. Or maybe Gudlevskis (sp?) from Tampa, as Vasilevskiy won't be moved.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
4x4 is too much IMO. It's likely what he is going to get but I don't wanna be the one paying it to him. I'd do 4m/2yrs or 3m/3yrs. As I already said though I'd much rather go after someone who is a on the verge of breaking out or has a realistic shot at becoming a #1 rather than a guy who, in my opinion, is on a downward spiral.

The breakout guy is ideal, but we need to realize that it might not happen. I would try to do this if I were MacT.

1) Trade Scrivens+ for Ward. Khudobin was great for Carolina last year, they aren't competing this year or next, and would probably be itching to get that contract off the books. I'm not sure what the + is, but if it is really substantial, then pass, but if it is affordable, do it. This leaves us with Ward as our starter, and no backup.

2) Find the "Bishop" type guy, a youngster who can backup or split starting duties for a year (or more) but could be a starter very soon. The Markstrom/Gudlevskis/Svedberg/ type guy.

It sucks that our goalie situation is like this.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Regardless if we get a new starter next year or not the team for sure has to upgrade their prospect pool. We might be able to poach a young tender from other teams, in some cases it might be costly depending on the player but we for sure need more than Broissiot as a future. A few possibilites:

Anti Raanta - Chicago
Sami Aittakallio - Colorado
Jack Campbell - Dallas
Magnus Hellburg - Nashville
Jussi Saros - Nashville
Oscar Dansk - Columbus
Anton Forsberg - Columbus
Tristan Jarry - Pittsburgh
Malcolm Subban - Boston
Zach Fucale - Montreal

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Regardless if we get a new starter next year or not the team for sure has to upgrade their prospect pool. We might be able to poach a young tender from other teams, in some cases it might be costly depending on the player but we for sure need more than Broissiot as a future. A few possibilites:

Anti Raanta - Chicago
Sami Aittakallio - Colorado
Jack Campbell - Dallas
Magnus Hellburg - Nashville
Jussi Saros - Nashville
Oscar Dansk - Columbus
Anton Forsberg - Columbus
Tristan Jarry - Pittsburgh
Malcolm Subban - Boston
Zach Fucale - Montreal

Unless Petry gets traded for one of these guys, it's likely going to be Matt O'Connor with Broissoit in Bakersfield next year.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
Cam Ward kind of seems like a moot point for me. He comes with one more year at a crazy high cap hit (6.3mil) than is a UFA.

Media tries to spin it like a goalie is Edmonton's #1 need when in reality a top pairing defence man should be.

Edmonton won't be competing for a playoff spot next year with this current blue line so unless you are sending a cap dump back to Carolina like Nikitin or Purcell than I don't see the point in trading for Ward..

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
The breakout guy is ideal, but we need to realize that it might not happen. I would try to do this if I were MacT.

1) Trade Scrivens+ for Ward. Khudobin was great for Carolina last year, they aren't competing this year or next, and would probably be itching to get that contract off the books. I'm not sure what the + is, but if it is really substantial, then pass, but if it is affordable, do it. This leaves us with Ward as our starter, and no backup.

2) Find the "Bishop" type guy, a youngster who can backup or split starting duties for a year (or more) but could be a starter very soon. The Markstrom/Gudlevskis/Svedberg/ type guy.

It sucks that our goalie situation is like this.

This is my line of thinking as well. Get a guy who can be the starter for next year but is (or gets signed) on a short contract. Then also get a guy who has potential to be the goalie of the future in Edmonton. Someone like the guys you mention or any young goalie who has showed promise on the pro level really. That's why, if we get Niemi, I only want him at a 2 or 3 year deal at most, because after that we really ought to have a guy who projects as a #1 goalie in the system ready to take over.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yeah I can see Niemi signing in Buffalo.

I think Cam Ward is a decent play for us. If the ask on him is Scrivens + 2nd or even a 3rd (because Carolina wants to dump salary), why not? Even though his salary is high, it's not like it's a high risk move overall.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
too bad we didnt get luongo......because as hfoil put it he is washed up,

Jamie

Mar 2, 2002
Victoria, BC
Visit site
I'm also on the Cam Ward train - would be a great pickup! That would show some brass and maybe it fails and we have an extremely overpaid has been, but if we could move Nikitin in exchange we're ahead of the curve. We can throw in some mid level prospect or mid pick to finish it off. I could see this happening from MacT and it's something I hope happens. He could be the legit starter this team has needed for ages.

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
Devan wouldn't/won't sign in Edmonton.

no he won't, but it will be interesting to see where he ends up, whether it's back in Minny for big bucks or elsewhere. i have heard from media wags that him being offered a rich contract in Minny will depend on his playoff performance should they even get there. i'm cheering for the guy, we all kind of knew he had to leave here in order to restart his career, so i am anxious to see him perform in the playoffs and wish him and the Wild well.

Parliament

Jul 15, 2014
Apparently the Senators really like Lehner.
I think the only flaw in this is that he is currently out with a concussion because they were playing him a ton prior to that injury.

I have actually seen Niemi play more than I have seen Anderson and he really doesnt inspire confidence like Anderson does IMO especially at the salary he is likely to command.

I hope the Oiler take a pass on Niemi.

Sens fan here. Although I won't/can't speak for the Ottawa fan base, Lehner is certainly valued. His future as our #1 is a bit more uncertain this year then any other year, but I'd certainly be open to moving Anderson.

That being said, we wouldn't trade andy at a discounted price or anything like that. Lehner is still really young and Ottawa doesn't need to rush him into a starting position. With that in mind, any potential deal would need to make sense for us.

Yakupov for Anderson would be a fair trade.

Just kidding. I'm not sure what Anderson is worth or what is a fair deal for both sides (if any).

Not sure if this helps/is needed, but thought I'd give my .02 for anyone interested in the possibility of Andy going to EDM.

Cheers boys.

Ps. Really glad Yakupov is starting to come together offensively as of late, love his passion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad