Speculation: So Which Backup Goalie Will The Oilers Try To Acquire This Summer?

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
I'd put together something around Petry and Pittsburgh's 1st for either Gibson or Vasilevsky. Gibson could be a Cory Schneider-esque goalie; Vasilevsky will be a legitimate starter by next year. He's solid.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
That's the exact name that came to my mind.

Dubnyk would be nuts to sign in Edmonton - Minnesota will make an offer and so long as its not a lowball he should take it.

Otherwise Philly or Winnipeg should be all over him - Mason, Pavelec Emery, Hutchinson (though he may become more consistent) are all worse than Dubnyk IMO.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I would go for Allen. He's young and stuck behind Elliot in St. Louis, if we took on some salary, it might entice them even more.

On draft day:

Berglund + Allen + Sobotka's rights
For
Marincin + Pit 1st

**Would prefer to do it without Marincin, but not sure what other pieces they would want.

I like Allen but I'm not sold on him being a starting goaltender in this league. He's young, sure, but from the games he's played so far he hasn't really showed all that much. He has nights where he is very good but he's not very consistent. In the two seasons he's played he's had 90.5 and 90.7 in SVS%. Compare that to Elliot who, aside from the lockout season has been 94, 92.2 and 92.1 in SVS% on the same team. I don't know if there's all that much upside there.

It wouldn't surprise me if we went after Michal Neuvirth if he hits free agency, I remember there were rumors we had interest in him in the past.

I kind of want Kari Ramo, but the organization has a thing about rarely if ever going after Calgary leftovers, where as they often pick up guys from us.

I would be OK with either on a short-term contract. Neuvirth would be a small upgrade on Scrivens who could be had on the cheap. Rämö is a guy I like as well, I think he's a good goalie. Nothing spectacular but he'll give you good enough goaltending to be a bubble team.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I can't believe Jones from LA has not been mentioned yet. He is considered better than Bernier was in LA. The Kings have 7 mill tied up quick for a long time, Jones is an RFA. He is going to be looking for a big raise and the Kings are in cap hell.

We could sign him to a 3.4 mill offer sheet and only give up a 2nd. We could also trade Petry and Scrivens at 50% for him this year.

Jones is going to be a star for a long time.

He has been mentioned. I mentioned him in the first page

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Devan Dubnyk.

I'd be interested in Cam Ward if we could convince Carolina to retain.

just cause I've always liked Cam Ward.....nevermind that he is now old and terrible.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I have zero faith that Dubnyk would be the same goalie here that he is in Minny. We'd be running him out of town inside 20 games again.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
I have zero faith that Dubnyk would be the same goalie here that he is in Minny. We'd be running him out of town inside 20 games again.

Any chance he would be as good as he was on our 12/13 team, but with a better lineup infront of him than we had back then? I'd definitely take a goalie 14th in the league in sav % like he was back in 12/13 and sounds like he's picked up some new tricks last summer compared to how he was back then too.

We would probably have to fire MacT to get Dubs to come here though. So, the actual process of getting Dubs here would be a double upgrade.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Any chance he would be as good as he was on our 12/13 team, but with a better lineup infront of him than we had back then? I'd definitely take a goalie 14th in the league in sav % like he was back in 12/13 and sounds like he's picked up some new tricks last summer compared to how he was back then too.

We would probably have to fire MacT to get Dubs to come here though. So, the actual process of getting Dubs here would be a double upgrade.

Firing MacT would not open the door to sign Dubnyk at all.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Firing MacT would not open the door to sign Dubnyk at all.

Dubs said he had sour feeling towards the Oilers when he compared playing his 1st game against former team Arizona, vs when he played his first against us. I would bet a big part of that was MacT rooting against him before the 13/14 season even started then basically blaming him for the lost season as he cast him off for another teams cap dump. Doubt he would even for a second consider being a guy on MacT's team again.

Last edited:

stevrock

Jun 9, 2013
I like Allen but I'm not sold on him being a starting goaltender in this league. He's young, sure, but from the games he's played so far he hasn't really showed all that much. He has nights where he is very good but he's not very consistent. In the two seasons he's played he's had 90.5 and 90.7 in SVS%. Compare that to Elliot who, aside from the lockout season has been 94, 92.2 and 92.1 in SVS% on the same team. I don't know if there's all that much upside there.

We (Sens fans) said the exact same thing about Elliott before he was traded, and his numbers were worse than Allen's.

Allen has 42 games under his belt in the NHL, and inconsistency is a problem that most young goalies have. It's way too soon to give up on him.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
LOL @ Vasilvesky being a back up. Dude is going to be the next best goalie in the NHL in 2 years. if you want him, say goodbye to one of Nurse/Eberle/LD or a other major assets.

Smart target is Neimi and next up is Bishop if Tampa is ready to move on to AV

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Put me down for Enroth or Ramo that they go after. Then they will get duped into Ward or the next Euro-goalie.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
We (Sens fans) said the exact same thing about Elliott before he was traded, and his numbers were worse than Allen's.

Allen has 42 games under his belt in the NHL, and inconsistency is a problem that most young goalies have. It's way too soon to give up on him.

No doubt, but I think there's way more attractive options out there right now.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Eff Devan Dubnyk. He had to bounce around and almost wash out of the league to learn some lessons he just couldn't grasp in Edmonton.

From his time in Nashville he had bad habits coming out of Edmonton. The Nashville coaches would try and teach him. He'd smile, be friendly and keep making the same mistakes. They got rid of him pronto. That attitude is what infuriated everyone in Edmonton. The Oiler's mistake was putting up with that for too long.

I wouldn't want to touch him. He might get a four year deal from someone after this run. Far too risky.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Eff Devan Dubnyk. He had to bounce around and almost wash out of the league to learn some lessons he just couldn't grasp in Edmonton.

From his time in Nashville he had bad habits coming out of Edmonton. The Nashville coaches would try and teach him. He'd smile, be friendly and keep making the same mistakes. They got rid of him pronto. That attitude is what infuriated everyone in Edmonton. The Oiler's mistake was putting up with that for too long.

I wouldn't want to touch him. He might get a four year deal from someone after this run. Far too risky.

Guy was 140 games into his NHL career before the 13/14 season, you think he didn't think he still had things to learn and would try to do so every off-season? How Dubs started the 13/14 season was his locked in state for the rest of his career? Give me a break. He learned about head trajectory last summer, something our new goalie coach (guy we probably shoulda replaced Chabot with in the 13/14 season) also pushes and it's helped his game. He actually didn't have as good of stats for Arizona this year as he did for us in 12/13, but his Minny performance has definitely blown his career bests away, for now at least.

His Nashville and Montreal stops were not that big of a deal looking at his career as a whole. His confidence was shot and he was pissed at how his season went and being a scapegoat to buy the MacT/Eakins duo more time, he just wanted it to end. He ended up leaving the Montreal org early to be with his newborn and left it to the off-season to get his game back together. Not the first player ever to have a bad season and wanted it to just be over, our team has been full of ones like that for years now but it's easier for skaters to just fade away into the background when they're off their game. In the end, that was 1 bad season out of 5 for Dubs and he likely never experiences a season like 13/14 again with a garbage coach pushing ridiculous systems and having a unqualified GM predicting his failure before the season even starts.

Last edited:

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
LOL @ Vasilvesky being a back up. Dude is going to be the next best goalie in the NHL in 2 years. if you want him, say goodbye to one of Nurse/Eberle/LD or a other major assets.

Smart target is Neimi and next up is Bishop if Tampa is ready to move on to AV

That Andrew Raycroft was pretty good also...

Giving up a good asset for a goalie with almost zero NHL experience or one that hasn't had the starting goalie work load at the NHL level is to big of a gamble.

TheGuyInTheChair

Sep 21, 2014
That Andrew Raycroft was pretty good also...

Giving up a good asset for a goalie with almost zero NHL experience or one that hasn't had the starting goalie work load at the NHL level is to big of a gamble.

Doesn't matter because that is what Tampa would be asking for. Silly for his name to be in op's post.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Guy was 140 games into his NHL career before the 13/14 season, you think he didn't think he still had things to learn and would try to do so every off-season? How Dubs started the 13/14 season was his locked in state for the rest of his career? Give me a break. He learned about head trajectory last summer, something our new goalie coach (guy we probably shoulda replaced Chabot with in the 13/14 season) also pushes and it's helped his game. He actually didn't have as good of stats for Arizona this year as he did for us in 12/13, but his Minny performance has definitely blown his career bests away, for now at least.

Listen to his interview with Scott Burnside from ESPN. Dubnyk said he had five good years in the league before the 2013-14 meltdown. Five? Maybe two. If being generous. A more honest answer would have said something akin to what you said.

It is sad to watch. Everything he had to work on in Edmonton that he ignored for years. Nice guy Devan, who cares if he can't be coached.

I think it was an unavoidable situation. Still not convinced Dubnyk can keep it up. Not worth the risk.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Listen to his interview with Scott Burnside from ESPN. Dubnyk said he had five good years in the league before the 2013-14 meltdown. Five? Maybe two. If being generous. A more honest answer would have said something akin to what you said.

It is sad to watch. Everything he had to work on in Edmonton that he ignored for years. Nice guy Devan, who cares if he can't be coached.

I think it was an unavoidable situation. Still not convinced Dubnyk can keep it up. Not worth the risk.

The Oilers likely had to step in and dump Chabot sooner. Dubs liked him, but it was time for a new perspective to try to take his game to the next level. Sounds like Chabot was totally into Dubs' head and he had Dubs completely in his corner. Kinda like Hall going to MacT to try to defend Eakins, or the Ference/Eakins lovein we watched over the last couple years. Chabot is looking like the Eakins of goalie coaches, can win players over (he won over Scrivens from the sounds of it too), but not much else there to actually get the job done.

IMO, management created a no win situation for 13/14 for whoever our goalie would be. MacT hired Eakins who would go on to push an AHL quality system that got terribly exposed constantly and still sucked after many adjustments. We also were not paying proper attention to our goalie development side of the house. Still don't get why Chabot got another contract in the 2014 off-season, likely an endorsement from Scrivens but MacT finally got wise after another season went down the toilet with another 2 goalies having way under .900 sav%. Not wise enough of course to fire Eakins until he was forced too though :)

Last edited:

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I can't believe Jones from LA has not been mentioned yet. He is considered better than Bernier was in LA. The Kings have 7 mill tied up quick for a long time, Jones is an RFA. He is going to be looking for a big raise and the Kings are in cap hell.

We could sign him to a 3.4 mill offer sheet and only give up a 2nd. We could also trade Petry and Scrivens at 50% for him this year.

Jones is going to be a star for a long time.

I have to say this is the best suggestion so far. Jones only makes around 500k right now, so a 3.4 offer sheet would put crazy pressure on them considering they won't have much cap space even to keep the status quo. I'm not sure what the offer sheet compensation is like though, but that's got to be what, a 2nd? If they match, they wouldn't be able to trade Jones for a whole year, and in that time they would be spending over 9 million on goalies. Just looking at their cap situation, I don't see where the room is coming unless Richards retires or someone wants him at full cap hit.

The only thing that worries me is that Jones is playing for the Kings. There's possibly some stat inflation there, and his stats are not especially great anyway. There aren't any sure-things out there though.

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
I have to say this is the best suggestion so far. Jones only makes around 500k right now, so a 3.4 offer sheet would put crazy pressure on them considering they won't have much cap space even to keep the status quo. I'm not sure what the offer sheet compensation is like though, but that's got to be what, a 2nd? If they match, they wouldn't be able to trade Jones for a whole year, and in that time they would be spending over 9 million on goalies. Just looking at their cap situation, I don't see where the room is coming unless Richards retires or someone wants him at full cap hit.

The only thing that worries me is that Jones is playing for the Kings. There's possibly some stat inflation there, and his stats are not especially great anyway. There aren't any sure-things out there though.

I've always wanted Jones. In a perfect world is we draft McDavid, OS both Jones and Hamilton.

OS Hamilton without giving up any 2nd round picks, 7M+ per.
OS Jones so giving up a 2nd Rounder.

?, are u allow 2 OS' in 1 off-season?

#1 Centre - McDavid
#1 Dman - Hamilton
#1 Tender - Jones

We already have our wingers in Hall and Yakupov.
Trade Ebs for a #2 dman.
Klefbom is a perfect 3/4 dman.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Petr Mrazek would be my preference if we could trade for him somehow.

Still too unproven for my liking. I would like to see the team go after a more established starter over a back up, like what Calgary did in getting Hiller. Ward might be someone I might take a look at but his injury history leaves me extremely nervous.

Too bad MAF signed an extension in Pitt, I would have thrown significant money his way if he had hit UFA.

OF17

Dec 2, 2007
en France
I think it's going to be Cam Ward. Given their rebuilding situation, I can't see them being too eager to shell out $6.8 million for a guy delivering average starter performance who could walk at the end of the year.

As for the Oilers, average starter performance is what we need. Ward has been injured a lot recently, but when healthy, he's a legit starter. He has a .913 SV% and a 2.39 GAA on a bottom four team this year. That's what we need. As a plus, there's always the chance that he regains his past elite form. Who would covet that chance at 2006 Cam Ward more than MacTavish?

Scrivens and a pick or Fasth and a pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad