Speculation: So Which Backup Goalie Will The Oilers Try To Acquire This Summer?

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
I remember reading an article before about how top goalies tended to have a really strong even strength save percentage and while it ofcourse fluctuates it doesn't tend do so as wildly as PK save percentage. Which can be more of a byproduct of a good PK system in place or the strength of the penalty killing personnel.

Anyways 2014/15 even strength save percentage leaders (minimum 20 games played): (just did top 10 and randomly picked some names being discussed in the thread after that)

1.Carey Price= 0.942 EV Sv%
2. Pekka Rinne= 0.940 EV Sv%
3. Steve Mason= 0.938 EV Sv%
4. Henrik Lundqvist= 0.936 EV Sv%
5. Cory Schneider= 0.935 EV Sv%
6. Michal Neuvirth= 0.934 EV Sv% Buffalo PK 29th 74.8%
7. Devan Dubnyk= 0.933 EV Sv%
8. Brian Elliot= 0.933 EV Sv%
9. Roberto Luongo= 0.932 EV Sv%
10. Craig Anderson= 0.932 EV Sv% Ottawa PK 11th 82.5%
16. Petr Mrazek= 0.925 EV Sv%
18. Eddie Lack= 0.922 EV Sv%
24. Antti Niemi= 0.919 EV Sv% San Jose PK 20th 80.4%
35. Cam Ward= 0.913 EV Sv% Carolina PK 1st 87.8%
36. Karri Ramo= 0.911 EV Sv%

While pouring through numbers I don't think this metric is as accurate as I would like watching some pretty significant fall-offs from last years even strength save percentage leaders like Anton Khudobin (2013/14 5th highest EV Sv%). That said I think based on the incredible strength of Carolina's PK this year Cam Wards numbers are being over-inflated and what looks to be a rekindling of some distant past glory is something of an illusion and Michal Neuvirth is someone who is being undervalued in general.

Just for reference our penalty kill in the 12/13 season was 12th (83.4%), 13/14 season was 15th (82.1%), and 14/15 season we are presently 26th (77.6%). If we can improve our PK next season Scrivens should have a bit of a bounce back.

Last edited:

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
I'm from Toronto and have watched a fair number of games with Reimer and Bernier. They are a downgrade on what we have now. No thanks!

Too many bad memories with Dubnyk plus in the SLIM chance he would come back, I can totally see him regressing.

Taking a chance on 1 year of Ward is good with me. Only thing that concerns me is his injury history (will we even get one year out of him) and what would have to go back the other way. If we're buying low, no problem. Playing in front of a confident goalie who the players know won't let in garbage can do wonders for their growth.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Unless Petry gets traded for one of these guys, it's likely going to be Matt O'Connor with Broissoit in Bakersfield next year.

Have we signed that dude yet? I had to google him but figured he was a college guy before googling. He's big that is for sure, do you have a scouting report on him?

OilTastic

Embrace The Hate
Oct 5, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta.
This post should have an accompanying:

Which #5-6 Defenceman are we going sign to #2-3 money this year

^sure, but sooner or later you've gotten your fill of them and we do. MacT really has no other options now but to find a starting goalie, a top d-man or two, and hopefully another center. (with our luck, MacT will go....Leon, Nurse and Brossoit and say "there you go, i fixed it !) :shakehead

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
would you give up good assests for him?

If Pittsburgh playoffs end early because of Fleury, it wouldn't be that suprising to see real changes there imo.

Good regular season number, signed to a 4 year extension at 5.75 a year. If the opportunity presents itself I would be willing to make a trade for good assets.

That would be a bold move.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
Regardless if we get a new starter next year or not the team for sure has to upgrade their prospect pool. We might be able to poach a young tender from other teams, in some cases it might be costly depending on the player but we for sure need more than Broissiot as a future. A few possibilites:

Anti Raanta - Chicago
Sami Aittakallio - Colorado
Jack Campbell - Dallas
Magnus Hellburg - Nashville
Jussi Saros - Nashville
Oscar Dansk - Columbus
Anton Forsberg - Columbus
Tristan Jarry - Pittsburgh
Malcolm Subban - Boston
Zach Fucale - Montreal

The top two guys on that list IMO. Saros is good too but I think Nashville will keep him over Hellberg and that's not a slight to Hellberg.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I remember reading an article before about how top goalies tended to have a really strong even strength save percentage and while it ofcourse fluctuates it doesn't tend do so as wildly as PK save percentage. Which can be more of a byproduct of a good PK system in place or the strength of the penalty killing personnel.

Anyways 2014/15 even strength save percentage leaders (minimum 20 games played): (just did top 10 and randomly picked some names being discussed in the thread after that)

1.Carey Price= 0.942 EV Sv%
2. Pekka Rinne= 0.940 EV Sv%
3. Steve Mason= 0.938 EV Sv%
4. Henrik Lundqvist= 0.936 EV Sv%
5. Cory Schneider= 0.935 EV Sv%
6. Michal Neuvirth= 0.934 EV Sv% Buffalo PK 29th 74.8%
7. Devan Dubnyk= 0.933 EV Sv%
8. Brian Elliot= 0.933 EV Sv%
9. Roberto Luongo= 0.932 EV Sv%
10. Craig Anderson= 0.932 EV Sv% Ottawa PK 11th 82.5%
16. Petr Mrazek= 0.925 EV Sv%
18. Eddie Lack= 0.922 EV Sv%
24. Antti Niemi= 0.919 EV Sv% San Jose PK 20th 80.4%
35. Cam Ward= 0.913 EV Sv% Carolina PK 1st 87.8%
36. Karri Ramo= 0.911 EV Sv%

While pouring through numbers I don't think this metric is as accurate as I would like watching some pretty significant fall-offs from last years even strength save percentage leaders like Anton Khudobin (2013/14 5th highest EV Sv%). That said I think based on the incredible strength of Carolina's PK this year Cam Wards numbers are being over-inflated and what looks to be a rekindling of some distant past glory is something of an illusion and Michal Neuvirth is someone who is being undervalued in general.

Just for reference our penalty kill in the 12/13 season was 12th (83.4%), 13/14 season was 15th (82.1%), and 14/15 season we are presently 26th (77.6%). If we can improve our PK next season Scrivens should have a bit of a bounce back.

dang, there's some decent impending UFAs there. Maybe this is Neuvirth's time. He's only 26

Personally I don't like Ward at all simply because of his injury history. We've been through that with Khabi. He could play at a high level but then would miss half the season, and then come back playing poor for a while. Uggh

I'm not sure about the injury histories of other options out there though.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Have we signed that dude yet? I had to google him but figured he was a college guy before googling. He's big that is for sure, do you have a scouting report on him?

I've only watched him once before and wasn't paying good enough attention to give a good report. From what I've read he's a huge guy who has burst onto the scene lately. BU is playing in the Beanpot Championship on TSN2 right now if you want to get a first hand look, along with Eichel.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Carolina should do the Oilers a solid and hook us up with Cam Ward...payback for paying MAB to injure our goalie and thus solidifying their cup win.

Marko played un real...but if Rollie never got hurt...We'd have won the cup.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Carolina should do the Oilers a solid and hook us up with Cam Ward...payback for paying MAB to injure our goalie and thus solidifying their cup win.

Marko played un real...but if Rollie never got hurt...We'd have won the cup.

What lost us the series was playing Conklin in game two and having him dressed as back up. Mind you we didn't show up in Game 7 either.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
What lost us the series was playing Conklin in game two and having him dressed as back up. Mind you we didn't show up in Game 7 either.

Yup. I still believe if Jussi was dressed for Game 1 instead of Conklin we would have won that game and the Cup. Another brilliant idea by Lowe and MacT with the rotating backups.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I've always liked Neuvirth. He's consistently put up respectable numbers for a whole now without ever really given the opportunity to be a starter.
I'm totally against the Oilers going after an unproven backup again (Jones, Tokarski, ect) but I'm not sure I'd put Neuvirth in that category. He's played over 150 games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad