98.5 The Sports Hub So Where Do Bruins Go From Here?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Does someone have the YouTube videos on private of all our secondary players scoring those big playoff goals?

In what alternate universe does a Pacioretty or Skinner not make this team a ton better?

Because we will have to deal some of our prospects? (Can't fit em all). Future 1st? (Didn't we just get two guys the Bruins has first round grades on this year in rd 2 and 3?)

Also, is there some sort of rule where when you get a player with one year before UFA thAt you aren't allowed to sign them?

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I am concerned by a couple of reports out of Poutineville that Boston and Montreal are talking.

The Wrapround: So Where Do Bruins Go From Here?

By Ty Anderson, 985TheSportsHub.com

Somehow, someway, the Boston Bruins have once again backed themselves into a corner.

In an offseason primed for B's general manager Don Sweeney's next big move -- likely for a top-six winger (Ilya Kovalchuk) and a top-four defenseman to plug on the left side -- the Bruins exited the 2018 NHL Draft with their picks and picks alone.

Not gonna lie: It certainly seems like a letdown. That's saying something, too, as this marked the fourth offseason in a row in which the Bruins entered the draft with the ability to make a big addition and failed. Aside from their drafted players, of course. First it was the failed move-up for Noah Hanifin in 2015. Then came a 'failed' attempt to acquire Kevin Shattenkirk in 2016, although that turned out to be a blessing, as the Blues tried robbing the Bruins blind, demanding David Pastrnak and both of Boston's first-round draft picks. And then last year's thin market failed to bolster Boston's defense via trade.

This year, it was more failures, but with some Kovalchuk disappointment peppered in for an undeniably painful weekend.

So, what's next?

There is no way that was the asking price. They got nothing great at the deadline

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, I get nervous about Sweeney doing anything that involves NHL players at this point.

If they aren't in on Tavares, Sweeney needs to get himself a back-up goaltender early on July 1st before the game of back-up goalie musical chairs is over, then go for a long afternoon nap and let his fellow GMs make all the mistakes that day.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I wouldn't be against making a trade within the division, even with Montreal. You just better win the trade.
What would be considered a win? Not giving up any of Heinen, DeBrusk, Bjork, Lauzon or Zboril.

My biggest issue isn't the price, it's the contract he's looking at.
Someones going to pay him more than Marchands contract, at 31y.

Reactions: Strafer

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Honestly, I get nervous about Sweeney doing anything that involves NHL players at this point.
I agree. He has always seemed scared to me. It is one thing to be careful......He is SCARED. He has been a B for me. Carlo, Debrusk are great and McAvoy is franchise.... Other then these guys, Sweeney has been pretty below average.

We could have matched that Hanifin offer and he would have been well worth it....Sweeney is scared. Second time he missed out on Hanifin and thats a shame....He would be the PERFECT Charlie partner for ten years.....

Scared Donnie....Its pretty obvious with the lack of a big talent NHL hockey trade. He is scared to make one.

Reactions: Fenian24

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I agree. He has always seemed scared to me. It is one thing to be careful......He is SCARED. He has been a B for me. Carlo, Debrusk are great and McAvoy is franchise.... Other then these guys, Sweeney has been pretty below average.

We could have matched that Hanifin offer and he would have been well worth it....Sweeney is scared. Second time he missed out on Hanifin and thats a shame....He would be the PERFECT Charlie partner for ten years.....

Scared Donnie....Its pretty obvious with the lack of a big talent NHL hockey trade. He is scared to make one.

Zip your fly, your agenda is showing.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010

Scared? I have disagreed with some of his moves, but calling him scared is not accurate. The Nash trade was a very bold move. It might have not been a great move IMO, but it was certainly not the move of a scared GM. Reportedly he has been in on trade talks since he has been here, but with the stable he has he has decided not to get fleeced. Having a direction you want to take the team and staying on that general course should not be categorized as "scared." Scared is making stupid trades. Exhibit A: Bergevin.

The team is ahead of schedule. A surprise 112 pt season, with several awesome young players emerging, some great prospects, and the entire first line signed to bargain deals. And Sweeney is scared? LOL. Also, not getting Hanifin is an awful example to use to show Sweeney is somehow scared.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

I can’t stand Tony Mazz but I will quote him to this.

Stoo-peed

Baddkarma

El Guapo to most...
Feb 27, 2002
Midland TX
The Bruins need to be patient.

They are flush with high end talent/potential and they should not strip that depth down because we all know some will not work here and some will not work out period.

The only reason to trade out of these players is for an established franchise player like Tavares, Karlsson, Doughty, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Strafer

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

I may not be happy with some of his trades and his signings but I don't agree that he's "scared." He would've been taken to the cleaners for Hanafin and IMO the jury is still out on Hanafin. I would rather not get so young a guy to come home and play under the pressure of being a fan-boy and being a Bostonian. Too young, too soon! Furthermore: Giving up DeBrusk and the other rumored players or picks that have been guessed at would've been nonsensical.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island

What is their equivalent of the Hanifin deal that they so easily could have matched?

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Carlo+JDB probably isn't matching the Calgary offer for Hanifin. Carolina needs to hit the cap floor too hence liking Hamilton more than a guy on an ELC.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I really like Jeff Skinner. one year removed from 37 goals, only 26 has played almost all of the last few seasons so his injury woes seem behind him and he plays with a mean streak for what he is.

he's be a great addition but my issue is where does he play? I thought he was a LW/C. If he can play RW that opens up more options for sure, but even if he's a LW I'm ok with bumping Donato & Heinen to the right full time to make room.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I hate consolation prizes. I hate giving Carolina anything that may help them. I hate getting yet another LHS/LW. I hate desperation and THIS is what this stinks of. Desperation! Desperation to make a deal, desperation to try to impress the fans. Desperation!

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
How about taking a run at David Perron? He had a great year. Seems like a guy who would work great with both Krejci or Bergeron.

Filpulla on a 1 year deal would be solid. Don't like him if its 2-3 years though.

If Schaller walks these UFAs interest me for a 4th line wing spot. Maybe bump Acciari to 13th forward:
JT Brown
Ryan Reaves
Chris Kunitz

I expect Riley Nash to regress back to a 20 point per year guy. Might be interested in Bozak if he can be had for 2-3 years for a reasonable amount. He might be young enough to get a stupid contract from someone.

I like Bernier as Rasks backup if we don't feel Khudobin is the best option.

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
I hate consolation prizes. I hate giving Carolina anything that may help them. I hate getting yet another LHS/LW. I hate desperation and THIS is what this stinks of. Desperation! Desperation to make a deal, desperation to try to impress the fans. Desperation!

I don't see how looking into Skinner shows desperation. I also don't see how it's a "consolation prize"

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad