98.5 The Sports Hub So Where Do Bruins Go From Here?

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I am concerned by a couple of reports out of Poutineville that Boston and Montreal are talking.

The Wrapround: So Where Do Bruins Go From Here?

By Ty Anderson, 985TheSportsHub.com

Somehow, someway, the Boston Bruins have once again backed themselves into a corner.

In an offseason primed for B's general manager Don Sweeney's next big move -- likely for a top-six winger (Ilya Kovalchuk) and a top-four defenseman to plug on the left side -- the Bruins exited the 2018 NHL Draft with their picks and picks alone.

Not gonna lie: It certainly seems like a letdown. That's saying something, too, as this marked the fourth offseason in a row in which the Bruins entered the draft with the ability to make a big addition and failed. Aside from their drafted players, of course. First it was the failed move-up for Noah Hanifin in 2015. Then came a 'failed' attempt to acquire Kevin Shattenkirk in 2016, although that turned out to be a blessing, as the Blues tried robbing the Bruins blind, demanding David Pastrnak and both of Boston's first-round draft picks. And then last year's thin market failed to bolster Boston's defense via trade.

This year, it was more failures, but with some Kovalchuk disappointment peppered in for an undeniably painful weekend.

So, what's next?

Reactions: Strafer

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I wouldn't be against making a trade within the division, even with Montreal. You just better win the trade.
What would be considered a win? Not giving up any of Heinen, DeBrusk, Bjork, Lauzon or Zboril.
Not only the return, but what would you have to pay Pacioretty? More than what I would want to give him, I'm sure.

Reactions: Thrive and Strafer

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Not only the return, but what would you have to pay Pacioretty? More than what I would want to give him, I'm sure.

I'd have ZERO interest in Patches long term. Just a horrible decision, and not someone they can afford. If you look at him as a 1 year rental, then maybe, but still he is another left shot LW, where the Bruins are overflowing.

As a rental, I don;'t think I would give up enough to get him.

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Yup JFK heinen bjork etc to habs for pac. Lol. No way bruins trade with habs.

Hate the idea of trading with habitants. No way unless they take backes. :)

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I'd have ZERO interest in Patches long term. Just a horrible decision, and not someone they can afford. If you look at him as a 1 year rental, then maybe, but still he is another left shot LW, where the Bruins are overflowing.

As a rental, I don;'t think I would give up enough to get him.

YUP: This is an example of the Bruins pro-scouting staff doing it again, stinking! Talk about the least imaginative, most hated trade that they can make this summer. Really, of all of the needs that the Bruins have, the top priorities IMHO are: Left Defense (at the moment) 2nd/3rd center (sooner than later), and some hungry, aggressive back-up goaltending! Max is a left hand shot LEFT wing, WTH? The least of what we need here plus, he's pretty much a ***** . Donnie, get a clue!!

Reactions: Orr2Neely8

AM Bruin

The Early Worm
Feb 20, 2015
Out on a limb.
I'd imagine it would be more than what Kovalchuk got and he'd be worth it. He'll just be turning 30 next season and has been rather durable throughout his career. I'd rather pay him a little more than what they were willing to pay Kovalchuk.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Yup JFK heinen bjork etc to habs for pac. Lol. No way bruins trade with habs.

Hate the idea of trading with habitants. No way unless they take backes. :)

I'm not crazy about them trading with Mon'real but if it's for someone that we need not "that guy." I honestly don't see anyone on their roster that I would want but Patches is at the bottom of the list. I KNOW that Donnie knows more about the NHL then I will EVER know but FFS, this is one ugly rumor!
Here's a trade for you Donnie, our pro scouting staff for ummm I dunno LVGK's. All nonsense aside I hate consolation prizes! Donnie looked like the kid who got socks for Christmas with his pouty face last night. News Flash: Disappointments happen Donnie, move on!

Reactions: Thrive

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not crazy about them trading with Mon'real but if it's for someone that we need not "that guy." I honestly don't see anyone on their roster that I would want but Patches is at the bottom of the list. I KNOW that Donnie knows more about the NHL then I will EVER know but FFS, this is one ugly rumor!
Here's a trade for you Donnie, our pro scouting staff for ummm I dunno LVGK's. All nonsense aside I hate consolation prizes! Donnie looked like the kid who got socks for Christmas with his pouty face last night. News Flash: Disappointments happen Donnie, move on!
Vegas pro scouting when with Washington (which is why their with Vegas) made my top 10 all time worst deals (7th just behind Middleton for Hodge) when McPhee traded a Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Vegas pro scouting when with Washington (which is why their with Vegas) made my top 10 all time worst deals (7th just behind Middleton for Hodge) when McPhee traded a Filip Forsberg for Martin Erat.
As a secondary Nashville fan that is one of my all time favorite trades :laugh:

Reactions: Strafer

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
Does the LeClair Desjardins Dionne for Recchi trade rank up there too? :naughty:

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

Okay so they suck too?!? I obviously don't know. But, what I do know is that Neely needs to figure out why the Bruins "pro scouts" are so bad OR is Sweeney over-riding their suggestions and opinions? Whichever it is, it needs to be fixed, pronto!

Last edited:
Reactions: Estlin

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I also "dislike" the idea of Skinner too. Yet another consolation prize!

It's like they are sitting in a room and thinking what do we need least (Left shot, Left wing, who isn't physical). Yes let's go deal for one. I can understand why they want Kovy, He is huge strong, and at least used to be an at times dominant player with a physical edge, and he was free, which would free up some depth in other deals to fill other holes.

But trading for the LS/LW who is non physical makes NO sense at all. A complete waste of resources and honestly would put them into cap hades in the future i they resign.

The one terrifying thought I had is that they are thinking of going out for one of these guys as a replacement for Marchand, and they are going to make a crap deal, and then move Marchand out to fill another need. And sorry, neither Patches nor Skinner is a Marchand replaccement

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
But I suspect he still hates Chara :popcorn:
He might be open to the idea, won't have to play against him anymore. Haha. Less risk for him.

Realistically though... Patches is a LW? Unless someone (Debrusk) is switching to their off wing... not sure how this works out?

Reactions: hrdpuk

hrdpuk

Fossa
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
Kentucky
Personally I'm glad we didn't get sucked into the Kovalchuk deal LA
made. It may turn good out to be a winner but I have my doubts.

3 year 18 mil for a 35 yo that hasn't played at the NHL level for 5 years seems a bit risky to say the least. I'd rather take the risk on a young player coming up

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
LOL, Uummmm..........okay.
He was a figure skater before a hockey player.
1185c51d0cc4a612546806a95c983c1a.jpg

Reactions: Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad