So when do the Leafs plan on getting assistant coaches

Dugath

Jan 9, 2014
When they can find someone who is willing to take the risk of being fired at the end of the season when Carlyle is fired and the new coach wants to choose his own people.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Simmons said that we shouldn't be surprised if the leafs "promote from within." Meaning Carlyle's assistants next season will be Derek King and Gord Dineen. Simmons is pretty tight with Nonis and co. so this seems the most likely. Just another uninspiring, lazy move by the leafs org. This, in no way, gives Carlyle any competition or worry about his job. Can't say I expected anything spectacular. Would've loved Mark Morris. Oh well...

I've been speculating this would happen as well and I'm more then fine with it.

Dineen and King have worked with a chunk of the roster over their 5 years with the Marlies at some point. Familiarity could be good. Also gives Spott a chance to hire his own coaches.

All though promoting 2 of the Marlies coaches leaves one spot open for the Carlyle replacement if it ever comes to that. I'm hoping for Bylsma to hopefully be an associate type coach.

I don't want Oates as the potential replacement to Carlyle. I really didn't like what he did in Washington.

Last edited:

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
When they can find someone who is willing to take the risk of being fired at the end of the season when Carlyle is fired and the new coach wants to choose his own people.

Or on the other end, find somebody who is willing to take a job in the hope they can replace Carlyle when he's fired.

EastVan

Jun 25, 2014
Would have been nice for them to have been there this week for the prospects camp...

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
It's going to be AHL eyes only dinosaurs all internal hires. They will not challenge Carlyle in any way.

Nonis has picked his hill to die on. Next season should be one for the ages. Time to break out the pyramids and paper bags.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456870

a decision on the Leafs coaching staff is expected to be made next week, with Steve Spott, Derek King and Gord Dineen – all currently employed behind the bench by the Toronto Marlies – as the leading candidates.

“All of the promotions will be from within the organization,†Simmons said. “I believe two of them will come from that group of three.â€

dammit. really wanted oates or bylsma. :rant:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456870

dammit. really wanted oates or bylsma. :rant:

not me.
i really liked what Spott did with the Marlies. Bylsma wasn't really regarded by either team USA (management) or Pittsburgh (fans). and whilst Oates would have helped our powerplay.... (shrug). Rather promote within (and they can easily go back down) because i think our key coaching change is going to come next year.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
More likely Oates/Bylsma weren't interested in being Assistants.

I don't think I've ever seen a media source quote Simmons. :laugh:

You gotta think if it is an internal promotion for the coaches then a lot of other candidates just refused the job. Why else do you wait so long to sort out an internal promotion. Nobody wants to work with Carlyle(aka dead man walking)?

Pholus

May 23, 2014
You gotta think if it is an internal promotion for the coaches then a lot of other candidates just refused the job. Why else do you wait so long to sort out an internal promotion. Nobody wants to work with Carlyle(aka dead man walking)?

If you were an NHL coach (assistant or head), would you? If I have established myself, I would definitely not want to go somewhere with the knowledge that I will likely be fired within the next 2 years, even if I am really good at my job. Imo, the only people willing to come here would be guys coaching at lower levels (AHL/CHL) looking to get some experience at the NHL level, which would be helpful in the future if they want to be an NHL coach.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

I don't know if that's it or they just don't want to take a job that's a step back in their careers.
I imagine both are still getting paid, they may just be content to collect their cash and wait for an opportunity.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00