So when do the Leafs plan on getting assistant coaches

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
Oh you didn't hear?

We're just planning on starting the season with just Carlyle. Yeah apparently, last seasons meltdown was all on the assistant coaches, so were switching'er up!

BayStBullies

Burn the Boats!
Apr 1, 2012
@BayStBullies
Oh you didn't hear?

We're just planning on starting the season with just Carlyle. Yeah apparently, last seasons meltdown was all on the assistant coaches, so were switching'er up!

That doesn't sound any more silly than half the board (including probably you); blaming everything on Carlyle alone.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Shanahan said last week that it should soon, within the next 2 weeks.

So by next week?

All the candidates I wanted are gone... so I have no idea who to expect.

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
The last three cuts of training camp will be named assistants instead of going to the AHL.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
We are only replacing 2 of the 3 positions (is it anymore clear we will be bringing in a new coach lol?)

I'd say Oates will be one. Tony Granato the other

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
They are definitely taking their time with that. Maybe just tough finding people who really want to work with basically a lame duck coach.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
really? when was this said?

Both Shanahan and Carlyle said it. Not really surprising, most benches run with just 2 assistants I believe. That's all Spott has.

At this point I think it will be promoting King/Dineen, or some sort of combination of Oates/Bylsma/Granato

Kyle93

Mar 30, 2012
Eh Oates and Bylsma, not very good choices IMO. Oates might make our PP good but not a whole lot else.

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
They have to bring at least one assistant in from outside.

Can't just promote from within; let's face it - Carlyle needs a fresh set of ideas from someone who is completely disconnected from the organization. That the Leafs want to promote anyone from within is the first surprise. Two external assistants with a fresh set of tactics and approach is what needs to be surrounding Carlyle.

sw13

Jan 31, 2014
Simmons said that we shouldn't be surprised if the leafs "promote from within." Meaning Carlyle's assistants next season will be Derek King and Gord Dineen. Simmons is pretty tight with Nonis and co. so this seems the most likely. Just another uninspiring, lazy move by the leafs org. This, in no way, gives Carlyle any competition or worry about his job. Can't say I expected anything spectacular. Would've loved Mark Morris. Oh well...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad