Speculation: So ... What's Next?

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Tarasenko can still score but do you want to take cap/salary/price risk on a guy who’s had 3 shoulder surgeries in a year and a half.

Naslund

Jun 18, 2006
USA
Danault staying or leaving is the only "point d'interogation" with forwards. Staal, Drouin, Tatar are out. Armia and Perry stays, and Poehling is on the starting lineup next October (at C or LW). Poehling, Evans and Byron are rotating in and out as the 13th forward. There will be injuries, and these three guys can play C or the wing. If Danault leaves, then free agency (or a trade) will bring a good player here to replace him.

On D, Chiarot is gone. He is the logical target for Seattle. Montreal will protect Edmunston ahead of Chiarot. Habs will need to rely on Kulak and an improved Romanov at the beginning of the season to replace him. Our prospect pool is deepest at the LHD position, with Romy, Guhle, Norlider, Harris and Struble being between the age of 19-21. No need to make a deal with Seattle, let them take him. Thanks for everything Chiarot, you were great. I could see David Savard being signed to play on the third pair if the price is right. We need another right-handed shot. This would bring balance on the D, with an equal amount of lefty and righty, and potentially a puck mover on all pairings. Romanov/Weber, Edmunston/Petry, and Kulak/Savard.

Should be an easy summer for MB. The only reason why Montreal could win a cup is if KK, Suzuki, Romy, Caufield and Poehling take another step in their hockey careers. If this does happen, this could be all that we need with the lineup tweaks described above (Tampa will regress because of the caps and other reasons). If our young players regress or don't make the next step, it does not matters if we get Tarasenko, Saad, or anybody else that have been discussed.

webersshot

Jul 6, 2016
Nova Scotia
I wouldn’t. He’ll never be worth anything near his current contract. He’s a shell of his former self.

He had 3 surgery's because the problem with his shoulder was not corrected until the 3rd one. I bet he returns to his former self just as much as Josh Anderson did. I would be all over this

smcgreg

Jul 18, 2013
None of your business
out: Tatar, Drouin, Byron, Chiarot (expansion)

(team needs)

(Hyman/Saad) - Suzuki - Caufield
Lehkonen - (Danault) - Gally
Toffoli - KK - Anderson
Perry - (Coleman/Gaudreau) - Armia
Evans

(Martinez) - Weber
Ed - Petry
Roma - Fleury
Kulak

Why expose Chiarot over Ed? Can Ed not be exposed? To me Ed should go over Chiarot.

Hyman? Really? That dude can't finish anything. Did you see all the golden opportunities he missed in the TO series? If he buries any of them, MTL is out.

I kind of like the idea of Martinez if he's not too expensive.

I'm also not sure Weber is first pairing anymore. So, I'd put Petry/Chiarot first and Weber/Marinez second, but balanced deployment. The other issue would be the kids paired on the 3rd, that's not going to happen with this coaching staff. Early season, I'd probably go

Roma/Weber
Chiarot/Petry
Martinez/Fleury

and deploy in a balanced way. That is a pretty solid 6 D with mobility and size up and down. The only reason I have Weber on 1st is because he won't be third pairing. It's also the only way Roma gets into the top 4. Again, though, I'd just roll D in the first half of the season to get the kids TOI and experience. Then later, tighten things up as games become more important... or not if it works. Don't get me wrong though, I'm under no illusions that that will actually happen.

Reactions: Ozmodiar

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
We just lost arguably the best developmental coach in the league...

Habby4Life

Nov 12, 2008
Then we still only have one offensive centre. The position still needs upgrading

Yes it does. I’ve said it before my target would be Monahan. I’ve seen enough of KK, he was a bad pick at 3ova. Evans can take KK spot.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Danault will not get PP & offensive responsibilities - KK needs to step it up and prove he’s got ability to drive offense & sustain that thrust (as opposed to being good for one or two games) along w Suzuki
thing is, 2/3 of the forwards had same or worst production than him, and while it's not all about production, his play was no worse than Byron, Lehkonen, Evans, Staal and maybe a few others. a guy on waivers, one who will not come back, a NHL Journeyman, a career bottom 6 player... If he's playing as well or better than them and is still being scratched...

wildD

Jul 25, 2015
To the people that think that Seattle will pick Chiarot keep on dreaming, When you have a choice of picking Allen, Fleury etc, for cheap. Also there are alot more better defenseman that will be available. The only way for Seattle to take a high price player from us or as people want it's to place Price Weber Chiarot Byron Drouin available to them but as we all know this wont happen

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
The most logical moves for the Habs is going with the young player to replace the UFA (because of cap).

So if we go one by one ....

Armia: Tricky one. We can replace him from within because he's a fourth liner that can play up in the lineup if needed but he might costs too much right now. Maybe a guy like Ylonen can make the club as a 4th line RW. Not the same type of player tho.

Danault: I think he's not coming back. He will cost too much and we do have some cheaper replacement from within (Poehling and Evans). Also, he would give KK more responsabilities.

Gustafsson: Depends if we can signed a PMD. He's not that good, but we can used him as a 8th d-man. Maybe we would prefer Ouellet, but I see Ouellet playing in Laval again.

Merrill: I think he's back as the depth d-man. He can easily be a 7th d-man next year at 900,000 per year.

Perry: He stays, he will be cheap, he wants to come back and no one can replace his experience and leadership

Staal: I think he's gone. Evans or Poehling can replace him as the 4th line center.

Tatar: That guy is gone. Caufield replaced him.

We also need a PMD and a LW (big needs).

Reactions: SpezNc2

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Yes it does. I’ve said it before my target would be Monahan. I’ve seen enough of KK, he was a bad pick at 3ova. Evans can take KK spot.
Surely you can’t be serious?
Kk is so young you guys are nuts. He is going to be a top 6 center. Danault can’t create offence to save his life but keep him right? Evans is yet another low skilled lunch box player

kk will be something you trade him you watch him blossom elsewhere. And it will be all you guys with your hot takes that point out how dumb Bergevin was for trading him

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Why expose Chiarot over Ed? Can Ed not be exposed? To me Ed should go over Chiarot.

Hyman? Really? That dude can't finish anything. Did you see all the golden opportunities he missed in the TO series? If he buries any of them, MTL is out.

I kind of like the idea of Martinez if he's not too expensive.

I'm also not sure Weber is first pairing anymore. So, I'd put Petry/Chiarot first and Weber/Marinez second, but balanced deployment. The other issue would be the kids paired on the 3rd, that's not going to happen with this coaching staff. Early season, I'd probably go

Roma/Weber
Chiarot/Petry
Martinez/Fleury

and deploy in a balanced way. That is a pretty solid 6 D with mobility and size up and down. The only reason I have Weber on 1st is because he won't be third pairing. It's also the only way Roma gets into the top 4. Again, though, I'd just roll D in the first half of the season to get the kids TOI and experience. Then later, tighten things up as games become more important... or not if it works. Don't get me wrong though, I'm under no illusions that that will actually happen.
Hyman is a strong skater, plays with Gallagher like ferocity and is fearless. I never worry about players who miss chances only those who never get chances.

Reactions: dinodebino

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
To the people that think that Seattle will pick Chiarot keep on dreaming, When you have a choice of picking Allen, Fleury etc, for cheap. Also there are alot more better defenseman that will be available. The only way for Seattle to take a high price player from us or as people want it's to place Price Weber Chiarot Byron Drouin available to them but as we all know this wont happen

Chiarot is fairly paid for his role at $3.5M and cap space is not an issue for Seattle. One could argue Chiarot is even slightly underpaid for the minutes he plays.

HabsFather

Twitter: @HabsFather
Jul 12, 2006
Montreal Forum
www.getthepuckout.net
Id like us to pick up a puck moving dee in addition to this id like a LW, lefty. Someone with a good 1 timer to immediately help our PP and be direct opposite to Caufields 1 timer(shades of kucherov-stamkos)

Top LW in FA are Taylor Hall and Gabriel Landeskog.

We aren't landing those; BargainBin always goes off the board what about Michael Bunting of the Arizona Coyotes with 10 goals in 21 games last season?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I’ve been intrigued by Ducks Jacob Larsson for a while, not sure if he’s available but if Ana is in rebuild mode, might there be a match using the Habs 1st + D prospect (Harris?)

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Tarasenko can still score but do you want to take cap/salary/price risk on a guy who’s had 3 shoulder surgeries in a year and a half.
To be fair they didn't even fix the right part of his shoulder until the third one. This is why he is even asking for a trade; doesn't trust their team doctors.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad