So, what's going on with McCarron..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Deserved second assist? He fought battles, managed to keep possession? or fluke second assist?

There's video on the prospects thread. He worked hard on the boards.

His goal is even sweeter. In the low slot, takes a pass and buried it. Looks solid.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
I'm happy to hear about McCarron doing well and using his frame to his advantage. I really want him to become a physical force in the NHL above everything.

PricePkPatch*

There's video on the prospects thread. He worked hard on the boards.

His goal is even sweeter. In the low slot, takes a pass and buried it. Looks solid.

Yhea, 2nd Assist Schmarist, these were well deserved points.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
It is encouraging so far, but it's also a normal production level of a 19 year old 1st round pick playing in the CHL.

It's also a fairly small sample size, let's see if he can maintain it over a lengthy stretch.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
It is encouraging so far, but it's also a normal production level of a 19 year old 1st round pick playing in the CHL.

It's also a fairly small sample size, let's see if he can maintain it over a lengthy stretch.

I'm all in for watching McCarron's play improve each game, as I believe it will, actually I can't see his game becoming anything but better with more experience. It only makes sense really, for a player with his abilities to keep improving as he adjusts to his size and the speed of the game, he should only improve.:nod:

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

I agree that it's a small sample size, but if McCarron scores at a normal production rate for a first rounder, and then you take his size into account... we might have a very solid prospect on our hands

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I firmly believe his progress will be similar to Tinordi's, I doubt he'll become a 1st line winger, but if he becomes a 2nd/3rd line tweener and being a net front presence on the PP, then that's enough for me.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Hes look real good to start his OHL season.
Hes doing a lot of things well and helping lead the team.
Defensive positioning has been solid, creating havoc on the forecheck, solid net presence on PP, getting PK time.
Hes also moved to centering top line since welychka was traded.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Hes look real good to start his OHL season.
Hes doing a lot of things well and helping lead the team.
Defensive positioning has been solid, creating havoc on the forecheck, solid net presence on PP, getting PK time.
Hes also moved to centering top line since welychka was traded.

This is really interesting and I know he played some C last year. Even though I think I recall management saying that they see him as a winger at the next level, I can't help but imagine a future centre lineup of:

Galchenyuk
DLR
Eller
McCarron

Talk about size down the middle! I know it won't play out like that (probably want someone with more skill in that 2C spot) but it's enticing.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011

We all know this.

Just let us enjoy his success in the present without the constant reminders that prospects can fail in the future.

Thanks.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
His development reminds me of Tinordi's. Jarred had a tough 1st year in London and then had the best +\- in the OHL in his last year.
Big Mac hopefully develops into a Turner Stevenson clone!

Disappearing Semin

Oct 18, 2012
Even putting up points in the OHL i don't think he'll ever end up more than a good 3rd liner since he doesn't have a great shot or passing ability. Most of his points come from strong board play but I could see him taking shifts on the first line come playoff time a la Byfuglien or Bickell did with Toews and Kane just to keep the other team honest and prevent them from taking liberties on Galchenyuk or Pacioretty.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Even putting up points in the OHL i don't think he'll ever end up more than a good 3rd liner since he doesn't have a great shot or passing ability. Most of his points come from strong board play but I could see him taking shifts on the first line come playoff time a la Byfuglien or Bickell did with Toews and Kane just to keep the other team honest and prevent them from taking liberties on Galchenyuk or Pacioretty.

Wow.

We won't need McCarron to carry a line. We just need him in the low slot.

Also, you dismiss the efficacy of strong board play. We could put Reway, Andrighetto and DD on a line together. All are great passers. But what good would that be if they lose board battles?

Let the kid play and develop.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
His development reminds me of Tinordi's. Jarred had a tough 1st year in London and then had the best +\- in the OHL in his last year.

Agreed,
He seems to have that quality of being able to play better when surrounded with more talent.
Love it... :nod:

Mike8

Jun 24, 2002
Visit site

Those are some pretty low hopes.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
Leave it to one of his biggest critics right off the bat last season now to suddenly preach for everyone to wait and see. It was okay to denigrate him in late October last season..but don't praise him for playing well early this season, now we're supposed to 'wait and see'.

He's playing on the top line with one of the best junior players in the country..you really think his start is an aberration? I kept saying last year that the largest obstacle he was facing in regards to putting up decent point totals was ice time and opportunity because Hunter goes with veterans...and the team was stacked at forward last season. I repeated this again and again...but folks who were critical of him ignored this....no excuse for not jumping into the OHL and producing from Game One regardless of the circumstances.

The naysayers would point to his point total and age and declare matter of factly that this proved he had no offensive upside..as history has shown that players who don't produce at 18 don't produce in the NHL. No regard was given to any other factores...such as London's veteran depth or McCarron being a rookie in the best junior league in the world...it was etched in stone that he had no upside and was well on the road to being a bust. Every frst round pick from 1-30 regardless of draft depth or style of play/size has to be a top six forward or top three dman...even though math tells us it is an impossibility.

Now that he's producing...well wait and see..and even if he does..well..he's supposed to because he's 19 and a first round pick. Perfect. I am going to enjoy the backpedalling on this board this season because there is going to be plenty of it....the hasty overreaction to his rookie season was ludicrous...it was said again and again to give him time..now that he's playing well...."too early"...even though writing him off last season was also "too early". Hypocrisy at its finest.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

Huh, I HATE it when people say that. Who the **** cares was the normal production rate is? If it comes down to what McCarron is doing right now, than we return to the fact that the risk has fairly diminished with him, so it's still good news.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

I think you underrate his passing ability somewhat. One of the better playmaking big men around IMO...and early returns this season (5 assists in 5 games) would appear to support that. Play him with skilled players and he's going to put up some points at any level. He's got a good wrist shot too..it's heavy. Needs to keep working on his release. Most of his goals are going to be the garbaghe variety anyway..hard to move him from the crease area. He's shown an ability to raise the puck in close.

Regardless - Montreal is a deep team..if he ends up being only a third liner....that's not necessarily a bad thing. I still think he has top six upside though if he puts it all together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad