So, what's going on with McCarron..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenny Powders

Apr 6, 2005
Laval
I think it's too early for him, let him take a next step next year in the OHL, be a force on the first 2 lines.

He still got things to prove

Oct 22, 2012
We can take our time with him, as he is going to need it.

We've got Sekac, Ghetto, DLR looking to graduate. The youth movement these past two years has been crazy and refreshing.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Big guys can often take longer and I have a feeling that if he is going to make it they will have to develop him properly and that means more time in the OHL and then AHL.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
A resounding no. Had a rough first season with the Knights. Needs another year in junior and 2-3 years in the AHL in my opinion.

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
We can take our time with him, as he is going to need it.

We've got Sekac, Ghetto, DLR looking to graduate. The youth movement these past two years has been crazy and refreshing.

DLR? DLR is looking for a full year vs AHL opposition, not looking to graduate at all. I want to see some offense coming from him before he goes anywhere else.

lillypad33

Sep 20, 2008
Kitchener
He's 2-3 years away at best, they said he was a project when they drafted him so let's not expect any different.

London also changed him from a winger to a center near the end of the year.
He got limited ice time in the memorial cup, but I thought he looked ok.

Does anybody what position he played in the scrimmage yesterday?

Another year in junior is not even a question at this point.

yoyo999

May 24, 2012
A big indicator in his development IMO will be if he makes the U.S WJC team. If he makes that team it tells me that he is getting better and can compete on some level with the best at this stage in his life.

If they don't even call him to camp, that will be a concern for me.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I think it's best he goes back to Junior for another season, he will learn a lot more there. I still think he is 2-3 good years away from the NHL

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
As a Knights season ticket holder I'd agree with the above posts.
He'll def get an increased role ( ST, move up the depth chart ext...)
There was a few issues prior to Xmas but I think they got worked out.
He should have a good year, and well see how he continues to develops after that

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
As a Knights season ticket holder I'd agree with the above posts.
He'll def get an increased role ( ST, move up the depth chart ext...)
There was a few issues prior to Xmas but I think they got worked out.
He should have a good year, and well see how he continues to develops after that

Do you think he'll still be played as a center?

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
A big indicator in his development IMO will be if he makes the U.S WJC team. If he makes that team it tells me that he is getting better and can compete on some level with the best at this stage in his life.

Just to be fair, Galchenyuk played 3rd line minutes at the WJC, didn't exatly dominate, and played in the NHL that same year and was right up there with all the top rookies.

turbodragon

Jan 24, 2014
I tend to agree exactly with what Dale Hunter said in a La Presse article over the weekend: guys this big this young grew up too fast and need more time to work on their coordination. He expects McCarron to do better in the OHL this year, but there's no way he's ready for the NHL anytime soon.

Sam I Am

Jul 23, 2003
Visit site

McCarron is one of forty-two players invited to the US National team camp this August. The final selection of 23 players will be announced in December.

I'd have to think that McCarron is an underdog at this point. but with a good camp and a strong start to his OHL season, who knows? Especially since this year's WJC is being played on smaller Canadian rinks,

Oct 22, 2012
DLR? DLR is looking for a full year vs AHL opposition, not looking to graduate at all. I want to see some offense coming from him before he goes anywhere else.

Oh is he? So he's coming into camp with the mentality, "I don't want to make the NHL right now"? Doubtful.

I don't think its too far fetched to think that he wants a roster spot.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Is he gonna make the jump next season?

Seriously?

I think we all now he is couple years away from the NHL.

end thread/

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
He's not even ready the year after, leave alone this year.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london
Do you think he'll still be played as a center?

He was moved back to the wing after a lot of 2nd half season at C.

Dale has no issue moving certain guys around (except the go to guys)
and it wouldn't surprise me to have him see time at both C and W. But I'd guess with the depth chart for the upcoming he'll end up at centre more often than not

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
Michael McCarron

Am I missing something on Lucic? I don't see elite offensive tools on Lucic..he is mainly effective due to the power in his game, vision and shot, not because he has great hands and is a dangler, or a great skater. There are certainly some similarities in their offensive tools. It doesn't mean McCarron will match Lucic's offensive totals..mind you if he's given a linemate as talented as Krejci to play with...he may one day come close to the 48 points per season Lucic has averaged in his career. Certainly McCarron needs to work on his shot to come close to Lucic's scoring skills...that would be where Lucic has an edge, but McCarron is bigger and faster than Lucic at the same age.

Let's be patient with McCarron. Let him play his second OHL season, and re-evaluate next summer..I think we'll have a better idea of his potential at that time. Fans tend to get expectations too high when a prospect looks good and too low when he struggles.

Hopefully he leaves the Habs with a tough decision at training camp, but I fully expect him to be sent back for more development.

Yeah, Lucic only has scoring over McCarron, just a detail. Seriously, nothing indicate that McCarron will ever come close to what Lucic does whether it's scoring goals (loads of them) or physical play. And Lucic is pretty fast I don't know how his skating was at 19 but today is pretty fast.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Yeah, Lucic only has scoring over McCarron, just a detail. Seriously, nothing indicate that McCarron will ever come close to what Lucic does whether it's scoring goals (loads of them) or physical play. And Lucic is pretty fast I don't know how his skating was at 19 but today is pretty fast.

When has Lucic EVER score "loads" of goals?

He scored 30 once and besides that has scored 24 and 26. Hardly an offensive juggernaut by any stretch of the imagination. I could easily see McCarron score that many in a season and be a more physical force as he's bigger and faster than Lucic. It's all how they use him. If they play him on the 3rd with a limited role then expect less goals. If they play him on the 1st line with Galchenyuk then he could easily score 20-30 every year.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

Wow..Lucic is a God to you apparently. You'd swear he was a 40-goal scorer. Where did I say he can never come close to scoring 25 goals in a season? Lucic has a better shot ..doesn't mean McCarron can never come close to being a 25-goal scorer, or that Mac can't continue to improve his shot. Lucic thus far in his career averages 20 goals a season..if you don't think Mac can "come close" to scoring 20 goals per season you are seriously underestimating his potential.

He's a much better skater than Lucic was at 19...which makes one presume he'll be a better skater at 25. Believe it or not Lucic isn't the only big player who will ever improve between the ages of 18 and 25. Skating encompasses more than just straight ahead speed once you are going BTW..Mac is a better technical skater already, with much better agility than Lucic.

And how exactly do you assume that McCarron won't 'come close" to Lucic's physical play? Doesn't sound like you've scouted him much if at all. He already outweighs him by 15 pounds....hits hard, is dominant in the corners at the junior level. There's a damn good chance that he will provide similar physical play. Will he be able to fight like Lucic? Probably not...but fighting is going the way of the dodo bird anyway...and it's not like Lucic fights much any more.. By the time McCarron is 25 the vast majority of NHLers will be wearing visors and not fighting anyway.

I must have missed the memo on how great Lucic was in the playoffs, especially against the Habs. The Lucic legend has reached mythical proportions around here. For some it's almost considered to be a sin to compare Mac to Lucic...you'd think he was Cam Neely or something.

Last edited:

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Wow..Lucic is a God to you apparently. You'd swear he was a 40-goal scorer. Where did I say he can never come close to scoring 25 goals in a season? Lucic has a better shot ..doesn't mean McCarron can never come close to being a 25-goal scorer, or that Mac can't continue to improve his shot. Lucic thus far in his career averages 20 goals a season..if you don't think Mac can "come close" to scoring 20 goals per season you are seriously underestimating his potential.

He's a much better skater than Lucic was at 19...which makes one presume he'll be a better skater at 25. Believe it or not Lucic isn't the only big player who will ever improve between the ages of 18 and 25.

And how exactly do you assume that McCarron won't 'come close" to Lucic's physical play? Doesn't sound like you've scouted him much if at all. He already outweighs him by 15 pounds....hits hard, is dominant in the corners at the junior level. There's a damn good chance that he will provide similar physical play. Will he be able to fight like Lucic? Probably not...but fighting is going the way of the dodo bird anyway...and it's not like Lucic fights much any more.. By the time McCarron is 25 the vast majority of NHLers will be wearing visors and not fighting anyway.

I must have missed the memo on how grea tLucic was in the playoffs, especially agaisn thte Habs.

The obsession most habs fans have for Lucic is unreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad