So, what's going on with McCarron..??

Status
Not open for further replies.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The WJHC teams from most countries will have many PWF's this year, Canada with Nick Ritchie, Russia with Zacha, Finland with Rantanen, etc. the USNTDP will be arming their team appropriately. I wouldn't be surprised to see McCarron and Tuch representing their team's interests at PWF, at all.:nod:

Mike Mike Caron

Aug 29, 2010
People i know you like your prospects, Lucic is no God by any stretch, but if McCarron is as fast as Lucic and score as many goals i'll be very surprised, pleasently surprised especially after his year in London wich was better than his record indicated, but still no indication that he's gonna be a 30 goals scorer. And by no means does scoring 30 and 26 goals isn't a feat in this league, lucic is a 60pts guy, that's better than almost every Habs forwards in terms of points. McCarron is fast for his size, Lucic is faster.

I think you are all delusionnal, i excpect a Bickle out of him, how many Habs have scored 30 goals in the last 14 years (Patch, Cole, Kovalev and Rydar?)? And i am one of the biggest fans of McCarron, i've always defended him but i try to see him as he is not a hybrid of Nash/Perry/Lucic.

xposbrad

Jul 11, 2009
Have people even seen him play ?

It drives me bananas when someone says "nope!" after checking hockey db and looking at his stat line.

I say that he has just as good of a chance as DLR or Andrighetto to make it.

Clearly people who say that he is 2-3 years away have not seen the way that he skates and how big he is. Based on that alone he could make it out of camp.

Actually I did see him play live last year, some of my friends have season knight tickets. He's definitely not making the habs team out of camp next year, he was pretty below average borderline bad last year. Based on size, he will be given a chance, however, his talent will dictate him most likely not sticking at the nhl level. If he was 5'9 180lbs he would never even see the nhl ever let alone get a tryout at camp.

Shutdown

Sep 7, 2009
Montreal
Actually I did see him play live last year, some of my friends have season knight tickets. He's definitely not making the habs team out of camp next year, he was pretty below average borderline bad last year. Based on size, he will be given a chance, however, his talent will dictate him most likely not sticking at the nhl level. If he was 5'9 180lbs he would never even see the nhl ever let alone get a tryout at camp.

If he was 5'9, 180lbs he wouldn't have to get used to a 6'5+, 240lbs body.

:help:

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
There is absolutely zero reason to rush this kid. Zero, nada, zip, zilch

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

It drives me bananas when someone says "nope!" after checking hockey db and looking at his stat line.

Clearly people who say that he is 2-3 years away have not seen the way that he skates and how big he is. Based on that alone he could make it out of camp.

I've seen him play plenty as London is my adopted OHL team :)

He is a big guy with a big frame and his stats are misleading, he wasn't playing a big role, this year he will have a better role on the club.

Also in a few threads now I've seen people call McCarron slow. McCarron is NOT slow. If you aren't going to even watch the kid play one OHL game, then don't call him slow. Just because he's big doesn't mean he's slow. (Obviously not directed at you Richie)

Like you said, his size and frame could land him in the NHL sooner, but I'd prefer to give him 1 more season in the OHL and then at least 0.5-2 seasons in the AHL depending on how it goes. I don't think a lot of people realize he isn't physically mature yet, he's big sure, but he needs to bulk up his frame. Once he does that, he's going to be a monster.

So the deal with McCarron is he likely doesn't make it out of camp, but could surprise next year, but likely spends a year in the AHL after this year in the OHL. Of course, you never know. But he reminds of Patch in that he came from the US and while he has size, still needs time and to bulk up. Give him time to get acclimated to Canadian hockey for a bit.

Yeah, it's definitely not THE determining factor and I agree that at any level of hockey coaches go with 'their' guys. McCaron has played with the USNDTP so they know him.

My point wasn't about him being ready for the NHL if he made the wjc team but it's a matter of progress with McCaron. I feel that when we see him in the AHL it will be by default of his age and not because he's ready to progress to the next step. Making team USA tells me that he's better than last year and one of the top 23 players in his country at that level when last year he wasn't a consideration. That is progress.

I mean, he compares himself to Lucic who never made the junior team and had similar junior stats in his first year with big penalty minutes. So who knows.

That's fine too though. Not every development path is the same. I don't have an example off the top of my head, but prospects have gone to the AHL due to age before and actually improved. So players need more time than others, its hard to also say what those kinds of players would have done in their last OHL season had they stayed and not gone to the AHL. They could have improved with time or maybe the AHL could just be the beneficial place for them.

Not everyone is Brendan Gallagher, and that's OK too. I know we all like to laugh about character, but part of having character imo is having a high competitive level and drive to win. I like how we're going for players like that now. These are the kinds of human beings who overachieve. I'm guessing Timmins has more freedom now than ever before, and on top of it with some good minds like MB helping him, they're going to get a lot more picks right imo.

Sometimes in a young player character is better than natural talent. Some guys end up in the KHL while the character guys may not have played in the NHL yet, but they're about to start great careers. Of course it can happen the other way around too, but point is I trust our scouting staff. If I recall, there was a quote of Timmins saying something to the effect of "McCarron is as safe a pick as you can make".

I take statements like that from TT very seriously.

You and your friends aren't NHL scouts though with all due respect. Of course he'd have been drafted lower or wouldn't have gotten much NHL attention if he was 5'9", but that isn't the reality the kid is huge.

Historically, a lot of larger sized players have taken longer to develop and get used to their body, bulk up, etc than traditionally sized hockey players. It isn't an exact science, but this is a sport with a lot of cardio. McCarron is huge and it will take years for his body to develop into an NHL ready machine.

Nothing is ever a guarantee, but basing your opinion of a long term prospect on a season in which he was not even a core player and it was his first season getting used to the CHL is foolish. If he shows zero improvement this coming season I'll admit I'll start to be concerned, but its a long process. If he was going to be in the NHL this season, he'd have been a top 10 pick, not late 1st.

Last edited:

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
People i know you like your prospects, Lucic is no God by any stretch, but if McCarron is as fast as Lucic and score as many goals i'll be very surprised, pleasently surprised especially after his year in London wich was better than his record indicated, but still no indication that he's gonna be a 30 goals scorer. And by no means does scoring 30 and 26 goals isn't a feat in this league, lucic is a 60pts guy, that's better than almost every Habs forwards in terms of points. McCarron is fast for his size, Lucic is faster.

I think you are all delusionnal, i excpect a Bickle out of him, how many Habs have scored 30 goals in the last 14 years (Patch, Cole, Kovalev and Rydar?)? And i am one of the biggest fans of McCarron, i've always defended him but i try to see him as he is not a hybrid of Nash/Perry/Lucic.

Lucic's first season

2005-06 Vancouver Giants WHL 62 9 10 19 149 +4

McCarron's first

2013-14 London Knights OHL 66 14 20 34 120 +11

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
What is happening with him?

The typical learning curve of a huge man frame to surround a kid's mind and confidence. A really slow process.

Between draft day and first NHL game, a 5 years period seems ok to me. He'll need all his junior years and at least 100 AHL games + playoffs before even being consider for a role in the NHL.

I don't dislike the choice made by Timmins. But I do question the idea of drafting such long term project in the first round. It is hard to believe there isn't such players in the later rounds, like Connor Crisp.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

The typical learning curve of a huge man frame to surround a kid's mind and confidence. A really slow process.

Between draft day and first NHL game, a 5 years period seems ok to me. He'll need all his junior years and at least 100 AHL games + playoffs before even being consider for a role in the NHL.

I don't dislike the choice made by Timmins. But I do question the idea of drafting such long term project in the first round. It is hard to believe there isn't such players in the later rounds, like Connor Crisp.

Funny thing is I think Crisp is very underrated on this board. I think he may surprise.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Ever since Komisarek lost that fight he was so anxious to have....a legend was born. Who is Komisarek fighting these days?

This probably represents the majority of fans who hold Lucic to a standard to which he does not earn elsewhere. For this to stop, in some minds, it will take a large Hab to thump the crap outta Lucic once....a new legend will be born.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
He played decently in Habs jersey last year but end of the day his offensive skills aren't there yet. I want him to dominate some nights and know what he's capable of. I fear we'd stunt his growth otherwise.

24Cups

Aug 2, 2005
McCarron is fast for his size, Lucic is faster.

If McCarron is slower than Lucic his feet are stuck in mud. Lucic, IMO, is a below NHL average to average skater. At last year's training camp it was suggested that McCarron skated well, hopefully at least as fast as Lucic.

Bob b smith

Jan 14, 2007
I hope McCarron really concentrates on his hands. Practice his stickhandling off-ice every day. I know Lucic had spent hours on his technical skills while in Juniors. When you're already big, tough and mean, you work on the finer skills.

aresknights

Dec 27, 2009
london

I watch him play live about 40xlast year and talk with people in and around the team
Still work to be done, of that there is no doubt. It has been gone over a lot in his thread the things he needs to work on.
I'm not a scout :) but he's not close to NHL ready. This coming from a supporter of his, the Habs, Knights.

I rooting for him, no doubt but I'm guessing 2-4 yrs if at all

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
I hope McCarron really concentrates on his hands. Practice his stickhandling off-ice every day. I know Lucic had spent hours on his technical skills while in Juniors. When you're already big, tough and mean, you work on the finer skills.

get him on the mill!

tumblr_mskt6vks5F1shr61qo1_500.gif

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
And thats how we lost John Leclair.

Ah...i love how all posters bring up John Leclair as the scary camp fire story..

Firstly we were trading for a big time scorer in Recchi (107 points the previous year), we had to give up big value. We lost the trade big time, but it wasn't like the habs didn't realize what they had in Leclair...they were trading for a so called 100 point forward (which the team felt they deperately needed).
Leclair was 25 at the time of the trade and had already been a cup winning team. I doubt habs management pegged him as a 50 goal guy, but im sure everyone knew he had 30-35 goal potential. of course playing on a powerhouse offensive team like the Flyers your average 35 goal scorer can hit 50 (just like your point a game player can hit 107 ie Recchi).

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I was pretty surprised that mccaron had such a mediocre season.

If we remember back to his training camp in Montreal, he did pretty well.

Analyzer*

Now that How I Met Your Mother is over I think he's going to focus on hockey only this year.

Apr 28, 2010
He's still a 5 year project, imo. But yeah, anything can happen.

He needs to grow a badass beard though. It's hard to take him seriously when he reminds me of Jason Segel every time I hear his name. :laugh:

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

He's not a long-term project...how long did it take Lucic to play in the NHL after his junior career? He played right away because he was ready physically (and scred a whopping 8 goals)...well..McCarron could conceivably show up next September about 250 pounds wearing a visor..you don't think he'll be ready physically? I don't see him getting knocked down too often, he'll be one of the ten heaviest players in the league.

He skates better than a number of NHL fourth liners already, and his hands and sense aren't any worse..one more year under the Hunters and I don't see why he won't be battling hard for an NHL spot in October 2015. The thing with a player like McCarron is that you can start him in a fourth-line role at the NHL level..he's not going to hurt you, and likely chip in a few goals as he'll be playing other team's fourth liners.

If he doesn't make the team out of training camp next year, he won't be long in the AHL..perhaps half a season, or one full season at most. That would be three seasons after he was drafted...the average age for prospects becoming NHL regulars is 24 BTW.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
He's not a long-term project...how long did it take Lucic to play in the NHL after his junior career? He played right away because he was ready physically (and scred a whopping 8 goals)...well..McCarron could conceivably show up next September about 250 pounds wearing a visor..you don't think he'll be ready physically? I don't see him getting knocked down too often, he'll be one of the ten heaviest players in the league.

He skates better than a number of NHL fourth liners already, and his hands and sense aren't any worse..one more year under the Hunters and I don't see why he won't be battling hard for an NHL spot in October 2015. The thing with a player like McCarron is that you can start him in a fourth-line role at the NHL level..he's not going to hurt you, and likely chip in a few goals as he'll be playing other team's fourth liners.

If he doesn't make the team out of training camp next year, he won't be long in the AHL..perhaps half a season, or one full season at most. That would be three seasons after he was drafted...the average age for prospects becoming NHL regulars is 24 BTW.

I agree with you he's made for the NHL. Last camp he was a beast always creating havoc in the blue paint. This is one of our biggest need a long with puck protection for the cycle game. He's also a great fit for MT type of game. 1-2 years away imo.

Looked good with Bournival.

tumblr_mtjsa6HlEQ1shr61qo1_400.png

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
These threads were much more interesting when it focused on the play of all the prospects, instead of the same petty go nowhere putdowns of one player. Whether or not deserved it ruins the content for this poster, most of the comments are probably from people that haven't seen any of the action, at least not ones to put merit into, IMHO! That said, Bye.:shakehead

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010

Milan Lucic and "fast" should never be used in the same sentence, not sure what kind of scouting you've done on his skating, but it's been poor...perhaps even ..dare I say...delusional? Once he gets going and has open ice he skates okay..but don't expect a lateral move, initial quickness, or another gear. My job is to project prospects..and I am quite confident in saying that McCarron will be a significantly better skater than Lucic at the NHL level.

As for Lucic being a "60-points guy".....well so far he's averaged 50 points per season.....and 20 goals. You want to forget his last two seasons? 31 goals in 128 games.... an average of 19 goals per season, similar to his career average (which you are ignoring)....and that was playing with Krecji, and for one season Jarome Iginla. If McCarron could play with Krejci and Iginla right now for 20 minutes per game like Lucic did last year he'd get 15 goals and 20 assists just being there and deflecting a few pucks off his stick, head and body.

Lucic has been handed a top-line spot for the past five+ seasons..not a shock he hit 60 points a couple of times playing all PP's and 20 minutes per game with ppg scorers...but along with that there have also been seasons like two years ago when he had 7 goals in 46 games, which, for a first-line player is pathetic. Most overrated player in the league.

Yet we have to live with the constant comparisons for McCarron, which are unfair, because not many players of Lucic's ilk (20 goal, 50-point scorer with slow feet) get handed first-line opportunities..because most teams don't think like Boston..that you win first and foremost by bullying.

It's hard to say if McCarron will get that kind of opportunity in the future..first-line minutes in an all-around role..will depend on the coach and manager, but odds are he will be given second and third-line roles regardless. Thus..if he never equals Lucic's 50 points because of this..he'll be actually called a bust by some around here..because after all that's been said in a negative sense about him, folks will look for any chance to say "I told you so..he's no Lucic."

Too bad..this kid is going to bring a lot of much needed elements to this team in addition to points, but because he was a first-round pick that's all some will focus on is his point totals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad