So what date is Blash canned

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I like your Chelios idea. Can't get any worse.

Doesn't sound like Chelios is interested in a full time gig. The reason he wasn't interested in the behind the bench defenseman coach is because he didn't want to commit to the job full time and be away from his family. That's why he only coaches during training camp.

Chris Chelios loves being on the ice working with players, but he's not prepared to commit full-time due to family circumstances.

So Chelios won't be a candidate to replace Tony Granato as a full-time assistant coach for the Detroit Red Wings. Granato is expected to be announced this week as the new head coach at Wisconsin, though he will remain a Red Wings assistant through the end of the season.

"I'm fortunate enough that (coach Jeff Blashill) and Tony and those guys allow me the flexibility to go see my parents," Chelios, 54, said. "That's the only issue. If it wasn't for my parents' (health) I'd love to take on a full-time job. But at this point they're not doing well and the more I'm around the more it helps them."

Chelios is a part-time assistant. He goes on the ice occasionally, watches games from the press box and makes it to the odd road game. When he's not working he goes home to Chicago to visit his parents.

"When I'm not with the team on the road chances are I'm back in Chicago helping them," Chelios said. "I was gone for so many years and now that I have an opportunity to be there at least I'm making up for it.

"Would I love to help full-time? It would be great. I've always said I want to do things full-tilt. I feel guilty I'm not here more but I'm putting my family ahead of the team right now."

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/03/red_wings_chris_chelios_not_ye.html

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
You're absolutely right, but it's not always a good way to do business. Sports should always be about what you're doing right now, not what you've done 10 or 20 years ago. Holland definitely deserved a chance and he's getting it now. But he shouldn't get to dictate when he leaves, this organization needs to have accountability for the GM for their fans.

While I agree with this, I don't think one season of missing the playoffs is the point to make that decision.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
While I agree with this, I don't think one season of missing the playoffs is the point to make that decision.

I agree there, but you'd be ignoring a lot of red flags over the past 7 years. This organization has made plenty of errors that have led to this downward trend. Plenty of elite organizations don't make the playoffs every year, but still find ways to be just as relevant. Injuries always play a part in that, but the goal should be to build towards winning a championship, not just make the playoffs. Ever since the window closed, the goal was to make the playoffs instead of taking a step back to get back to contender status.

Basically, I don't think the Wings had to hit rock bottom for changes to be made. Lots of other great GM's have been proactive and been honest with the fans. I guarantee if Holland came out with a plan on rebuilding, going on a journey to get back to cup status, people wouldn't complain as much about this issue.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
I agree there, but you'd be ignoring a lot of red flags over the past 7 years. This organization has made plenty of errors that have led to this downward trend. Plenty of elite organizations don't make the playoffs every year, but still find ways to be just as relevant. Injuries always play a part in that, but the goal should be to build towards winning a championship, not just make the playoffs. Ever since the window closed, the goal was to make the playoffs instead of taking a step back to get back to contender status.

Basically, I don't think the Wings had to hit rock bottom for changes to be made. Lots of other great GM's have been proactive and been honest with the fans. I guarantee if Holland came out with a plan on rebuilding, going on a journey to get back to cup status, people wouldn't complain as much about this issue.

I think it would be silly to fire a GM who's "bad" seasons have been first round playoff losses, simply because they are finally really terrible for the first time in 20 years. The entire league, outside of maybe 5-10 teams, would kill to have "bad" seasons like that.

All that being said, Ken Holland works at the will of ownership (his boss). No doubt in my mind that ownership has told him they want to make the playoffs and are not interested in purposely taking a step back and letting the young kids play even if they struggle. If Ken Holland hasn't been doing what ownership wanted the last 5 years, he would have been fired by now. I mean, I highly doubt ownership has been like "we need to rebuild for the future Ken, and not worry about the playoffs." and Ken Holland is just like "F you, i'm going to try to make the playoffs this year." and then they keep him around for 5 years despite him going against the will of his bosses.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

That's still basing it on the past though.

It's not just about missing the playoffs. Holland may not be the right guy for the kind of rebuilding the Wings need. He's too conservative.

PuckDynasty

May 3, 2014
Doesn't sound like Chelios is interested in a full time gig. The reason he wasn't interested in the behind the bench defenseman coach is because he didn't want to commit to the job full time and be away from his family. That's why he only coaches during training camp.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2016/03/red_wings_chris_chelios_not_ye.html

His father has since passed away. Not sure if that changes anything and to be honest, I don't know if I want the Wings to go the way the Tigers did back when the were going downhill. I feel like a total fresh start is necessary from top to bottom. Lose all the old guard and start from scratch.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
I think it would be silly to fire a GM who's "bad" seasons have been first round playoff losses, simply because they are finally really terrible for the first time in 20 years. The entire league, outside of maybe 5-10 teams, would kill to have "bad" seasons like that.

All that being said, Ken Holland works at the will of ownership (his boss). No doubt in my mind that ownership has told him they want to make the playoffs and are not interested in purposely taking a step back and letting the young kids play even if they struggle. If Ken Holland hasn't been doing what ownership wanted the last 5 years, he would have been fired by now. I mean, I highly doubt ownership has been like "we need to rebuild for the future Ken, and not worry about the playoffs." and Ken Holland is just like "F you, i'm going to try to make the playoffs this year." and then they keep him around for 5 years despite him going against the will of his bosses.

Just to add on, the Illitches have done the same thing with the Tigers.

GMR

Jul 27, 2013
Parts Unknown
The propensity of the fanbase to make excuses for this team is
amazing.

Even with a fully healthy roster and a better coach this team is not a playoff team. The top two centers are a broken down 35 year old and a castoff from the Islanders who has scored over 50 points twice in his career. The defense is pretty much Mike Green and a bunch of AHLers. If not for Colorado and Phoenix intentionally tanking they would be last in the NHL.

I agree. I don't see what's so special about this roster. They barely made the playoffs several seasons in a row, despite having Datsyuk and Babcock for a couple of those seasons.

This year, they're among the league leaders in man games lost and don't have Datsyuk. Take any medicore team, take away their best player, and then give them more injuries than any other team. No coach would make the playoffs with that roster under those conditions.

I'm not saying Blashill should be retained, but this roster stinks and the primary culprit is the GM who put it together.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I think one issue with Blashill is that he's not a commanding presence. We heard the rumors last year about how the players didn't think Blashill "was his own man" and I don't think their perception of him has changed. Of course we don't know what goes on behind closed doors but nothing about Blashill's body language behind the bench or in interviews suggests he's in control of the situation. And he really doesn't have the experience, results or longevity in this league that most coaches do either. That can't help.

The other thing is that Zetterberg has looked anything from disinterested to pissed in almost all of his post-game interviews this year and that would add credence to the rumors that he clashes with Blashill.

I don't know. The whole situation just reeks of the coach being a guy the players don't believe in or respect.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Message to Blashill: Watch the U of M basketball coach. HE is a coach. In your next stop at whatever level that is, be a ****ing leader. Stop Blashing your own players and pointing out your great moves in benching and trashing your own players. I know it's pro and hockey, but I don't care for your style. Emulate Scotty. Or even Sullivan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad