So what date is Blash canned

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Except the dmen part. So even if he's trash if he can develop dmen it's probably better

Has he really developed D-men better? Are there any d-men that he has exclusively trained that are better than what we had before? Because XO and Sproul aren't anything to write home about. Jensen hasn't shown anything at the NHL level yet, and Russo has played two games, neither were good. To blame Blash for how terrible the Wings system is at scouting, identifying, drafting, developing and using D-men is pretty ludicrous.

As for Blash, he's the canary in the coal mine. If he's fired, then Holland really does believe his BS that this team can contend next year. If he doesn't believe his own BS and realizes that no one could coach this team to the playoffs short of Bowman, then Blash gets another year at it.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Blashill is our tank commander, he's been doing an amazing job lately so why fire him?

If there's one thing Blashill is good at its losing.

i'm legitimately concerned at this point that the total lack of structure in his "system" could cause permanent damage to the development of guys like Larkin and Mantha

might as well keep him for the rest of the season at this point but I would be worried if he were to be back next year

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
When vitually every player on the team has regressed except hank, there is a problem even kenny cant deny. Tomorrow would be good

This I truly believe that with a good coach we are a playoff team. With trashill we are bottom 3. This year is proof that he is clueless. The only reason to keep him is that we are embracing the tank.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
No. That is exactly our biggest problem. I don't disagree that another coach could get more out of this roster, but I don't think there's as much to get out of it as people think.

That "core" you listed is nothing special at all. In fact, most (by a lot) teams have better to work with.
But, how do we know that? Larkin was significantly better last year, DeKeyser, Tatar and Nyquist for several years before that.

Everything points to Blashill as a major factor in their decline.

Isn't it worth at least testing the theory for the last 17 games?

Also, how much further are all of the young players going to be put back in their development by enduring 17 more games like the one last night?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
But, how do we know that? Larkin was significantly better last year, DeKeyser, Tatar and Nyquist for several years before that.

Isn't it worth at least testing the theory for the last 17 games?

Also, how much further are all of the young players going to be put back in their development by enduring 17 more games like the one last night?

What would the point in testing that for the last 17 games be? All you are doing is ruining your draft position when you are pretty much mathematically out of the playoffs.

And how do we know that? Look around the league and look at their 4 or 5 best players, and compare those to ours. The players you listed as our core are a pretty pedestrian group of players when you take a look around the league.

Last edited:

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Our core is beyond ugly. Nyquist, Tatar, DeKeyser, Nielsen, Abdelkader, Helm...wow you watch these last games it is glaring how weak and incapable they are to lead a team anywhere but the bottom of the league. The newer players Mantha, AA, Larkin, Ouellet, Jensen, etc. are woefully mediocre. The tire pumping of these guys this season has been exaggerated as usual- you see what they are given the opportunity to take things over. To imagine a repeat of this broken crew next season with Ericsson, Zetter, and Kronwall leading the charge- just wow.

This roster still doesn't change the fact Blashill must go. I think he stepped into a horrible situation to begin his NHL career but something has to change and he's the obvious scapegoat.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

While I agree that Blashill is part of the problem, I'd like to think that losing Datsyuk was part as well. And the vets getting another year older. And on an on.

As for Larkin, I think that SOME regression was inevitable, regardless of who's behind the bench. The kid is a one-trick pony, always using his speed. For 40-50 games, nobody had scouted him enough, and he just had to play wing, and he got away with it. But then he ran out of gas in his first year with the big boys, and teams learned to just force him to the outside, and he has yet to "adjust to the adjustment", so to speak. (Now part of that is on the coaches, but part is between Dylan's ears, whether it's Blash or Bowman.)

But I digress. The main point is that the talent level is insufficient, and despite bad coaching, talent is the bigger problem.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
A good coach should be able to adjust his system to suit the roster he's coaching, not the other way around. Didn't see that at all from Blashill this season. In fact, I struggle to see any system at all.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Look around the league and look at their 4 or 5 best players, and compare those to ours. The players you listed as our core are a pretty pedestrian group of players when you take a look around the league.

I'm not a Blashill fan, but holy smokes, nobody is going to get much out of this roster. The fact that Zetterberg continues to produce shows it's possible. Blashill isn't holding back a former elite player who is over 35 with back surgery. So what's the excuse of everyone else?

The players we've assembled haven't shown any history of being great scorers. You have 40 point guys (hopefully) like Abby, Helm, and Nielsen floating in the top 9. Then you have 50 point guys (HOPEFULLY) like Nyquist and Tatar. It's a bunch of guys who struggle to maintain .5 PPG pace, combined with possibly the worst blueline in the NHL, and we're scratching our heads wondering what went wrong.

This is a roster problem from top to bottom. Until the players change, expect the peak for this team to be modest stretches of looking pretty OK.

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Agree, the hammer is in the hand after last night. The problem is: who do you replace him with? The obvious choice would be Nelson, but how much does his ascension mess with GR's playoff march? Both of our assistants are as much part of the problem as Blash, no joy there.

Here's a wild idea: give Chelli a go. If anyone could light a fire under this team, it's him. Our biggest problem isn't lack of talent: Larkin, DeKeyser, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Jensen, Ouelette, Mrazek are NOT as bad as they have looked and ARE a solid core to build around, IF we have coaches in place that can help them get there.

I'd even be ok with Kenny taking over, with Chelli and Drapes/Maltby as assistants, doing the day to day. That leaves you very open for next year.

17 games could make a great difference: it's enough time for us to get the kids on-track and start building in good habits.

There really is nothing to lose at this point.

You got it right!! Chelios for coach!!

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
What coach can get more? Bowman? Doubt it. Babcock did with a 60 point center and a healthier Kronwall. Larkin can improve, Mantha needs to play with real top six players. AA has speed and hands but needs to improve his D so does Mantha. Jensen brings speed, the D core could use that. An aging CPT who is playing awesome, two supposed top six small players. One who maybe injured the other is either happy with his soon to be money or is just scared. Two goalies, one who is starting to play better, the other one should have never been in the NHL and the third was having one of his better seasons and was injured. Two aging and hurt supposed too four for one, a younger guy who can't seem to skate well enough but belongs as a number 5, the 5.6 million dollar guy gets abused every night and does not have much of a shot. And last but not least, a gm who put up this team together and deserves most of th credit. He should trade for either a top two or top center and try and draft both positions when he can. The Wings can't score cause most is the system that the gm wants to play and the rest is the players for whatever reason.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
I'm not a Blashill fan, but holy smokes, nobody is going to get much out of this roster. The fact that Zetterberg continues to produce shows it's possible. Blashill isn't holding back a former elite player who is over 35 with back surgery. So what's the excuse of everyone else?

The players we've assembled haven't shown any history of being great scorers. You have 40 point guys (hopefully) like Abby, Helm, and Nielsen floating in the top 9. Then you have 50 point guys (HOPEFULLY) like Nyquist and Tatar. It's a bunch of guys who struggle to maintain .5 PPG pace, combined with possibly the worst blueline in the NHL, and we're scratching our heads wondering what went wrong.

This is a roster problem from top to bottom. Until the players change, expect the peak for this team to be modest stretches of looking pretty OK.

the fact that only one person is finding sucess in this system says a lot. But hey keep putting ****hands on the power play with helm and abby. I am sure they will score eventually with dek and kronny as d men.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
the fact that only one person is finding sucess in this system says a lot. But hey keep putting ****hands on the power play with helm and abby. I am sure they will score eventually with dek and kronny as d men.

Whose better?

Honestly, this team was built poorly. There are very few players that have been signed/retained on this team that are on this team because they fill an actual role. Most are on this team either because of misplaced loyalty or as stopgaps because there were massive holes on the roster.

Last edited:

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
This I truly believe that with a good coach we are a playoff team. With trashill we are bottom 3. This year is proof that he is clueless. The only reason to keep him is that we are embracing the tank.

I don't really believe that. I think a great coach would still have trouble getting this team in.

The biggest concern I have though is player development, if the wings are becoming a younger team its really not good to have them develop in the NHL under an ineffective coach.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Should've been fired in 2016 after the Coyotes game.

Can't imagine Holland risking the last year of his contract on Blashill though.

Skippy73

Oct 15, 2016
Bikini Bottom
Our biggest problem isn't lack of talent: Larkin, DeKeyser, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Jensen, Ouelette, Mrazek are NOT as bad as they have looked and ARE a solid core to build around, IF we have coaches in place that can help them get there

Except we don't have a top line center moving forward (no I don't think Larkin is the answer) or top 2 D

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The propensity of the fanbase to make excuses for this team is
amazing.

Even with a fully healthy roster and a better coach this team is not a playoff team. The top two centers are a broken down 35 year old and a castoff from the Islanders who has scored over 50 points twice in his career. The defense is pretty much Mike Green and a bunch of AHLers. If not for Colorado and Phoenix intentionally tanking they would be last in the NHL.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
The propensity of the fanbase to make excuses for this team is
amazing.

Even with a fully healthy roster and a better coach this team is not a playoff team. The top two centers are a broken down 35 year old and a castoff from the Islanders who has scored over 50 points twice in his career. The defense is pretty much Mike Green and a bunch of AHLers. If not for Colorado and Phoenix intentionally tanking they would be last in the NHL.
I wonder Colorado is running their power play the same as when they had Blake and company at d. The same way trashill thinks we still have great offensive dmen. When in reality we have kronwall who never was a first pair d man. How many coaches try to force talentless forwards into roles that require skill.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Should've been fired in 2016 after the Coyotes game.

Can't imagine Holland risking the last year of his contract on Blashill though.

What do you think he is risking???

Seriously really doubt that Holland is in any trouble. 30+ years of stellar service to a company generally buys you pretty good job security. If he wants to be, I would be very surprised if he isn't extended this summer. Maybe he actually wants to move upstairs but we have really seen no indication of that. It seems like he is going to be the GM for a while longer to me.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
What do you think he is risking???

Seriously really doubt that Holland is in any trouble. 30+ years of stellar service to a company generally buys you pretty good job security. If he wants to be, I would be very surprised if he isn't extended this summer. Maybe he actually wants to move upstairs but we have really seen no indication of that. It seems like he is going to be the GM for a while longer to me.

You're absolutely right, but it's not always a good way to do business. Sports should always be about what you're doing right now, not what you've done 10 or 20 years ago. Holland definitely deserved a chance and he's getting it now. But he shouldn't get to dictate when he leaves, this organization needs to have accountability for the GM for their fans.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Agree, the hammer is in the hand after last night. The problem is: who do you replace him with? The obvious choice would be Nelson, but how much does his ascension mess with GR's playoff march? Both of our assistants are as much part of the problem as Blash, no joy there.

Here's a wild idea: give Chelli a go. If anyone could light a fire under this team, it's him. Our biggest problem isn't lack of talent: Larkin, DeKeyser, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Jensen, Ouelette, Mrazek are NOT as bad as they have looked and ARE a solid core to build around, IF we have coaches in place that can help them get there.

I'd even be ok with Kenny taking over, with Chelli and Drapes/Maltby as assistants, doing the day to day. That leaves you very open for next year.

17 games could make a great difference: it's enough time for us to get the kids on-track and start building in good habits.

There really is nothing to lose at this point.

I like your Chelios idea. Can't get any worse.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad