So what date is Blash canned

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
End of season. There's probably a clause in his contract that he can be fired without compensation if we miss the playoffs

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Excuse my ignorance, but what makes Nelson a better coach?

It's largely due to circumstances:
  • He coaches our AHL affiliate and has been very successful
  • He'll likely get poached for an NHL gig if we don't hire him
  • Holland has one year on his contract so it will be tough to get a coach when his boss will be a lame duck in 2017-18
  • Nelson will probably accept the one year of certainty as an NHL coach to help build up his resume
  • He's also done a really nice job developing our d-men prospects, which is something this franchise has completely been awful at for like 15 years

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
why put nielsen in right away as our next coach if we HOPE to be brutal again next season? wont that lead to his firing as well or worse, him becoming a less confident coach/lose the trust of his players?

put any plug in there next season who cares

the plan and goal should be to be bad and then start looking up

Shadywing19

Jan 26, 2013
It's largely due to circumstances:
  • He coaches our AHL affiliate and has been very successful
  • He'll likely get poached for an NHL gig if we don't hire him
  • Holland has one year on his contract so it will be tough to get a coach when his boss will be a lame duck in 2017-18
  • Nelson will probably accept the one year of certainty as an NHL coach to help build up his resume
  • He's also done a really nice job developing our d-men prospects, which is something this franchise has completely been awful at for like 15 years

A bunch of this was said about blash 2 years ago. So I'm sceptical.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
When vitually every player on the team has regressed except hank, there is a problem even kenny cant deny. Tomorrow would be good

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Blashill is our tank commander, he's been doing an amazing job lately so why fire him?

If there's one thing Blashill is good at its losing.

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
The only reason to dump Blash is if the team finds someone willing to teach the kids for few years while they reacquire talent. Nelson would be a bit of a waste, given that the team isn't likely to be competitive in whatever window fans would give him, IMO.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Todd Nelson was very successful during his brief run with the Edmonton Oilers. He turned that season around for their skilled forwards as well, like Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle.

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
When vitually every player on the team has regressed except hank, there is a problem even kenny cant deny. Tomorrow would be good
Agree, the hammer is in the hand after last night. The problem is: who do you replace him with? The obvious choice would be Nelson, but how much does his ascension mess with GR's playoff march? Both of our assistants are as much part of the problem as Blash, no joy there.

Here's a wild idea: give Chelli a go. If anyone could light a fire under this team, it's him. Our biggest problem isn't lack of talent: Larkin, DeKeyser, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Jensen, Ouelette, Mrazek are NOT as bad as they have looked and ARE a solid core to build around, IF we have coaches in place that can help them get there.

I'd even be ok with Kenny taking over, with Chelli and Drapes/Maltby as assistants, doing the day to day. That leaves you very open for next year.

17 games could make a great difference: it's enough time for us to get the kids on-track and start building in good habits.

There really is nothing to lose at this point.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
A bunch of this was said about blash 2 years ago. So I'm sceptical.

Exactly.

When does blashill's contract expire? If it's the end of next season I'm guessing they'll just let it lapse to avoid firing him and acknowledging the succession plan was a mistake.

If they do fire Blashill the timing may have more to do with a good coach becoming available than any straw that broke the camels back.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
.Our biggest problem isn't lack of talent: Larkin, DeKeyser, Tatar, Nyquist, Mantha, Jensen, Ouelette, Mrazek are NOT as bad as they have looked and ARE a solid core to build around, IF we have coaches in place that can help them get there.

No. That is exactly our biggest problem. I don't disagree that another coach could get more out of this roster, but I don't think there's as much to get out of it as people think.

That "core" you listed is nothing special at all. In fact, most (by a lot) teams have better to work with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad