So...um, what's going on with Kreider?

Wolfy*

Kreids wanna play on the Zucc line, but there's no room for him there right now. Zero chemistry with Nash and Step.

On the other hand, AV seems to insert players in need of repairs on the Zucc line. Just look at Brass and Pouliot, and how they shine these days :)

Fanned On It

Dec 20, 2011
New York
Theyre winning. Theyre getting picked up by other lines. Nash and Stepan look disinterested, and Kreider is definitely carrying that line.

I could see someone saying that about Nash, but Stepan? He's just not playing well right now.. you can tell just by watching the games that he's trying. Nash on the other hand looks like he has no will to work the boards. Working the boards down low is what has been giving this team success as of late and Nash doesn't seem interested in doing it. Stepan actually works the boards well and gives it his all.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
He's still a very effective player. Just not putting up points right now.

I don't agree.

I think he contributes when there is a odd man situation or he gets a step on a D, or maybe more like a D just gives him some space. He is also sometimes able to get in on the forecheck, or otherwise use his strength along the boards.

But the problem that he is not able to do anything of that consistency. I mean the first situation, that is not something you controll yourself. It fully depends on the team you play against. Some will give him space some won't. Many won't.

On the forecheck he is still kind of square. It takes some time for him to get going, and he is definitely not able to bread down the necks of Ds on some kind of regular basis. Especially not lately. His line got a problem to put serious pressure on the puck and Kreider is the main forechecker. No ifs or buts about that.

With the puck, he is not passing it around very well at all, he is way behind the trio of Poo-Brass-Zucc when moving the puck, for example.

Another problem is that he is not finding ways to use his shot. Usually he rips it on the rush, but when the rushes is not comming, you don't see much of it. I would like to see him be able to find more open rush in the attacking zone and one time pucks.

Kreider is still a rookie and still got a lot of work ahead of him, AND, the line of Kreider-Step-Nash has -- never -- really worked that well. They look pretty awful at times when they try to work the puck along the boards etc. Nobody on that line is really able to help out anyone else. Step is not finding Nash on a regular basis. Kreider are not winning pucks on a regular, shift by shift, basis. Step is struggling to play an effective center game.

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
For the first time in years we have 3 lines that are actually producing.Yet people still find things to ***** about.

He is still a rookie playing in his first full season.

Guess what?Even veterans have slumps like this

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
He's got that "I'm not worthy - here Nash, you score" thing going on again. He needs to get more selfish.

It might be a good thing to put him on a line where he's expected to be the scorer. When he feels he's the man on his line, he's a different player.

I'd try to switch Kreider and Hagelin.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Kreider is not a pure goal scorer winger. I think it is incorrect to have high scoring expectations for him, because I think he can effect a game without scoring. The Rangers do not have a pure goal scoring left winger. They might want to look into fixing that.

Vanek. lol

I blame Kreider's bad games on his line. Stepan looks half as engaged as he should, and Nash is a floating piece of trash

Killem Dafoe

Hold my baby, man.
Jun 19, 2010
Land of Corn
I don't agree.

I think he contributes when there is a odd man situation or he gets a step on a D, or maybe more like a D just gives him some space. He is also sometimes able to get in on the forecheck, or otherwise use his strength along the boards.

But the problem that he is not able to do anything of that consistency. I mean the first situation, that is not something you controll yourself. It fully depends on the team you play against. Some will give him space some won't. Many won't.

On the forecheck he is still kind of square. It takes some time for him to get going, and he is definitely not able to bread down the necks of Ds on some kind of regular basis. Especially not lately. His line got a problem to put serious pressure on the puck and Kreider is the main forechecker. No ifs or buts about that.

With the puck, he is not passing it around very well at all, he is way behind the trio of Poo-Brass-Zucc when moving the puck, for example.

Another problem is that he is not finding ways to use his shot. Usually he rips it on the rush, but when the rushes is not comming, you don't see much of it. I would like to see him be able to find more open rush in the attacking zone and one time pucks.

Kreider is still a rookie and still got a lot of work ahead of him, AND, the line of Kreider-Step-Nash has -- never -- really worked that well. They look pretty awful at times when they try to work the puck along the boards etc. Nobody on that line is really able to help out anyone else. Step is not finding Nash on a regular basis. Kreider are not winning pucks on a regular, shift by shift, basis. Step is struggling to play an effective center game.

I agree with the bold. I wish he would use his shot more because he has a wicked one. However, that entire line just isn't clicking right now. As someone else pointed out the other day, they don't look like a line, they look like three different players playing separately and all trying to do their own thing. But out of those three players, he is the most noticeable and creates the most chances.

The problem is, he doesn't shoot. He tries to find Nash far too often or he tries to go for the pass most of the time which one can only chalk up to him being a rookie. I understand that. But he's an excellent passer. You can't score goals when you're trying to pass to 2 other players who can't seem to get their game together on a consistent basis. I'm not trying to completely defend Kreider because that whole line is stale, but you can still notice him out there, using his speed, taking the body, and creating chances.

I don't want that Zucc line broken up, but if he had been playing there all season (or hell, even the last 10 games) I don't think this thread would exist.

Jackpot

Registered Abuser
Jul 2, 2011
Syracuse, NY
Theyre winning. Theyre getting picked up by other lines. Nash and Stepan look disinterested, and Kreider is definitely carrying that line.

Stepan in particular, point being last night in the first as Nash was carrying the puck into the offensive zone. Stepan a little ahead of the play had to hold at the blueline, as he "held" there like a bump on log, the play carried on with Nash losing the puck (on the right side of the ice) , chasing it all the way across ice in front of Stepan (on the left) , battling for possession along the boards against two defenders and eventually losing possession. All the while Stepan was still straddling the blueline watching instead of trying to get involved in the play. Not like the defense was pinching or anything, just forwards up the ice. Overall, just a lazy play that had me yelling at Stepan from my couch. At least look like you're interested when on the ice.. Ridiculous..

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Even even not putting up points he's still a very effective player, he's been using his speed very well chasing pucks and pushing the play through the neutral zone, he's also hitting a ton which is good to see.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
One of the things I really have grown to appreciate about AV is his patience with players. That patience is paying off in spades for the Rangers right now.

Krieder is young, inexperienced and still figuring a lot of things out. There is a lot of teaching going on here, but you can never teach 6 -3, 230, skill and blazing speed.

So....patience. Lots of it.

Of course patience does not gibe well with snarky chat board banter ;-)

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
Take away that Isles game on the 21st and he has zero points in his last 10 games. Barely noticeable again....was hoping he moved passed that inconsistency issue but it's still alive and well unfortunely.

Short answer - Nothing.

Long Answer - He's no super star, in fact he's no star yet. Young guys like Kreider have periods of time during a season where they will not be as effective as other times during a season. He may not be showing up on the score sheet, but he's still playing well.

I think this break will be good for him.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Vanek. lol

I blame Kreider's bad games on his line. Stepan looks half as engaged as he should, and Nash is a floating piece of trash

You could blame Kreider's lack of performance on his linemates, though that would be BS.

Nash is just coming off a stretch where he scored 11 goals in 11 games. Him perking up coincided with the team playing much better. He is this team's best forward.

Kreider is young and inconsistent. When he moves his feet, good things happen. Hes been as much of a passenger as the rest of his line lately.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
he needs to be more selfish.

Getting around the Oilers D the other night and thinking pass first needs to stop.

On your off wing there, take advantage of the better shooting angle and shoot the puck.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Krieder still forechecks the crap out of teams and is effective along the boards, just hasn't found the net recently, no biggie.

Zamboner

Juice in his slacks
Feb 7, 2013
NY
He hasn't been scoring, but all the "invisible" talk is bogus. He's been noticeable every game. His forechecking is super consistent, and his speed is still getting him a potential high quality scoring chance every game. Unfortunately, he's been stupid with them lately, taking a slap shot instead of driving to the net, passing to nobody in particular, or just plain old not finishing. His hockey smarts aren't the greatest, so this will happen from time to time, but I'm no longer concerned about his effort and nobody else should. Nash has come back down to earth, and Stepan's offensive game has been nonexistent, so that doesn't help either.

BlueshirtBlitz

Foolish Samurai
Aug 2, 2010
New York
He's been noticeable in a good way, true.

But I also notice that he refuses to use his wrist shot or drive the net. In the Oilers game he beat 2 d-men and instead of driving the net or taking the shot, he tried to do that stupid bank in off the pads from behind. Not to mention the countless times he defers to Nash.

He needs to be more aggressive with the puck on his stick, IMO. That's my only concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad