So....that Jack Eichel is on pace for over 90 points...

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
no, because both your players you listed are on loaded lines and Eichel isn't which I stated.

there is a big difference between 90 points and a 130, if you can't see that difference not sure what to say...Eichel can hit 90 points and likely will if healthy, sorry but NO I do not think Marner hits 111 and Rantanen 130 throughout the course of a long season ...no double standard just common sense as Marner and Rantanen should be 100 point players, but thinking they will continue and hit on those numbers is a bit wishful thinking. I am allowing for Eichel to cool off a bit and still hit 90 points, you are not for the other two...

Perhaps Rantanen and Marner are just better scorers than Eichel?

What basis is there to suggest Marner's pace will regress, but Eichel's will not.

I'm not going to bother with the linemates argument. Try to watch Marner play. He is almost never gifted a point, he drives the play.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
many posters that had things to say about Eichel kept saying he hasn't hit over 70 points yet in a season, him hitting over 90 definitely silences that crowd.

as for the other players, doubtful both of those guys reach those totals, it is a long year and the dog days are coming...but regardless it has been a great year for young offensive talent, Eichel is in the top 10 in scoring right now - that is something to be talking about IMO. Rantanen also is on the best line in hockey with 2 other guys in the top 5 and 15 scoring respectively...Eichel does not have that on his line outside of Skinner in the top 35 of scoring...massive difference there...

Wait, so let me get this straight. Eichel is 'definitely' going to hit over 90 because he's currently on pace to hit 90 and it sounds like a realistic number to you... but other guys on their current pace won't?

I love all the contradictions in your statement, stating 'those guys', i.e. Rantanen and Marner won't continue to produce at their current rate (which could be true). But you then go on to actually give reasoning of why they would actually be able to continue this production due to playing on the best line in hockey and two other players in the top 15 scoring. Similar situation for Marner as well playing with Matthews.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'm not putting him down. He a tremendous hockey player, but its a dumb discussion. He's not as good as Eichel, and thats pretty clear to non-Leaf fans. I'm making fun of how Leaf fans continuously put Eichel down.
Except now is a bad time to make that point, as Marner is doing better. If anyone was wrong, it was Sabres fans laughing at Marner being in the same tier

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
The problem is a lot of Buffalo fans where saying that he was better than McDavid after 10 games into their rookie season and laughing at Edmonton because they didn't make the right choice so when McDavid clearly showed he was way superior to Eichel he kinda got laughed at

While he his still very very good there are a lot of young players who exploded in production (Marner, Matthews, Barzal, Rantanen, MacK, Aho etc.) so that is why he is not talked about that much but he is still a very good player and clearly Buffalo's franchise player.
I don’t think that’s true...

Edit:
McDavid had 10 points through his first 10 games in their rookie year. Eichel had 3.

Reactions: MakoSlade

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Perhaps Rantanen and Marner are just better scorers than Eichel?

What basis is there to suggest Marner's pace will regress, but Eichel's will not.

I'm not going to bother with the linemates argument. Try to watch Marner play. He is almost never gifted a point, he drives the play.
I don't think you are understanding what I am saying.

I said Eichel can hit 90 points this year, he is currently on pace for 98-99 points right now...I am already guessing he cools off some and still hits 90...you are not suggesting Marner and Rantanen will cool off any...I said both of those guys still likely hit 100 points, but to think they will hit those numbers you listed the entire year is wishful thinking. I am not doing that with Eichel, I am projecting him dropping 8-9 points off his pace right now...

I watch the Leafs all the time, never said anything negative about Marner or Rantanen so not sure where you are going with any of this. Marner has been very impressive but plays on a much better offense...You just aren't understanding projections and how hard they are to keep pace an entire season...all great young players but if Marner hits 111 and Rantanen hits 130 plus points, @ me and I will happily apologize.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
why does eichel cool off by 8 points but rantanen cools off by 30. id say, rantanen beats eichel by 20 points. eichel cool off to 80, rantanen cool to 100.

Reactions: Voight

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Eichel’s shooting percentage is also very low(5.7%) right now and is almost certainly going to go up before the season ends.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015
I don't think you are understanding what I am saying.

I said Eichel can hit 90 points this year, he is currently on pace for 98-99 points right now...I am already guessing he cools off some and still hits 90...you are not suggesting Marner and Rantanen will cool off any...I said both of those guys still likely hit 100 points, but to think they will hit those numbers you listed the entire year is wishful thinking. I am not doing that with Eichel, I am projecting him dropping 8-9 points off his pace right now...

I watch the Leafs all the time, never said anything negative about Marner or Rantanen so not sure where you are going with any of this. Marner has been very impressive but plays on a much better offense...You just aren't understanding projections and how hard they are to keep pace an entire season...all great young players but if Marner hits 111 and Rantanen hits 130 plus points, @ me and I will happily apologize.

This whole time you've been saying "over 90". You haven't mentioned any regression until this post.

Also I wont be @ing you :laugh:. I genuinely don't care enough. I was only trying to explain why people arent fawning over Eichel.

While we're on the topic though. Currently there are 2 Eichel threads on the first page of the main board. There are 0 for Marner or Rantanen. Maybe we should be talking about the guys who have exploded into top 5 point producers?

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Wait, so let me get this straight. Eichel is 'definitely' going to hit over 90 because he's currently on pace to hit 90 and it sounds like a realistic number to you... but other guys on their current pace won't?

I love all the contradictions in your statement, stating 'those guys', i.e. Rantanen and Marner won't continue to produce at their current rate (which could be true). But you then go on to actually give reasoning of why they would actually be able to continue this production due to playing on the best line in hockey and two other players in the top 15 scoring. Similar situation for Marner as well playing with Matthews.

@CodeE You are right, other fanbases never get into spirited debates on here.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
The problem is a lot of Buffalo fans where saying that he was better than McDavid after 10 games into their rookie season and laughing at Edmonton because they didn't make the right choice so when McDavid clearly showed he was way superior to Eichel he kinda got laughed at

While he his still very very good there are a lot of young players who exploded in production (Marner, Matthews, Barzal, Rantanen, MacK, Aho etc.) so that is why he is not talked about that much but he is still a very good player and clearly Buffalo's franchise player.
Fake news.
I was going to say "nice try", but this attempt was pathetic.

Last edited:

EhlersChin

Aug 23, 2017
Thought he would have been alot closer to 97 from the hype he had, those whispers of him being better then 97 was a good laugh. Seems to be separating himself from 97, the wrong way. Tough luck for Reg Dunlop being the runner up in that draft.

Reactions: Voight

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012

Talk about revisionist history...

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Obviously from 2015 draft it is hard to argue McDavid is on his own tier. Where on draft day Eichel was on a 2nd tier of his own, it is evident that Marner and Rantanen are on that tier with him 3 years later. He is a great player, and even though he is performing well, others from his class are outperforming him that were drafted below him, which is part of the reason he isn't as hyped as he should be. I also think it has something to do with the $10,000,000 AAV contract he signed that he hadn't earned at that point, which has helped mess up the RFA market, along with Draisaitl's deal.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

Huh?

What are you talking about?

A lot of Sabres fans said he was better than McDavid after ten games of their rookie season? Please back this up with some proof.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013

Citation needed

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
He is becoming the franchise centre he was supposed to be when drafted by the Sabres. If he can score 30 goals and 80+ points that would definitely solidify Buffalo's 1st line for years to come.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Had a nice goal today, didn't see the other. The skill is completely obvious, it's the compete I worry about.

I would still have him over Marner, Rantanen, Barzal, Chabot, Werenski, etc. However, it's closer than it's ever been.

Eichel is better no question, would you build a team starting with eichel or marner

Definitely the C.

Reactions: NoName

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
It'd be great if the Sabres had another line that could actually score consistently....would be nice if we had well......a certain center who was also really good on the PP. PP unit has been useless lately.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017

The unbiased odds are that all of these guys numbers will end up dipping in the last two thirds of a season; offense is always higher in the first month or so, so everyone's numbers look a little extra gaudy. Of Rantenen, MacKinnon, Marner and Eichel I would probably guess that only two of them manages to break 90 points and none manages 100. It is just the nature of the beast in today's NHL that scoring tightens up in the second half.
Had a nice goal today, didn't see the other. The skill is completely obvious, it's the compete I worry about.

I would still have him over Marner, Rantanen, Barzal, Chabot, Werenski, etc. However, it's closer than it's ever been.

Definitely the C.
This is pretty much in line with my assessment. The pedigree of Eichel and the fact that he plays the most valuble position in hockey (1C), keeps him ahead of those other guys, but the production of some of them, particularly Rantenen and Marner have really closed the gap substantially.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
What? lol

90 is special regardless what other players are doing.

Especially for a 22 year old center
How special was 90 points in the mid 80's when Gretzky was racking up 200+? The point is, it is relative to overall scoring levels in the league. 90 points was a much bigger deal last year... last year's 90 is this years 110.

Reactions: Dingo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad