So....that Jack Eichel is on pace for over 90 points...

debil

Sep 23, 2006
So that we have 60+ players with ppg and highest scoring season since 96 (tied with postlockout 05/06) makes it less impressive. yet good numbers.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Cool....he's living up to the bottom end of expectations?
vPat785.jpg

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I've always liked Eichel, so I cant speak for those people.

But what I find funny is, pace doesnt matter for Rantanen and Marner because the "dog days" (whatever that means) are coming.

But like a sentence before that you make it seem like a forgone conclusion that Eichel will keep his pace and score 90.

The double standard is painfully obvious.

That's because 90 for Eichel is a pretty reasonable projection. Rantanen scoring 130 isn't, and Marner scoring 110 isn't really either. No one's saying they'll fall off a cliff. Rants will still likely finish over 100, and Marner probably 90ish as well

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
That's because 90 for Eichel is a pretty reasonable projection. Rantanen scoring 130 isn't, and Marner scoring 110 isn't really either. No one's saying they'll fall off a cliff. Rants will still likely finish over 100, and Marner probably 90ish as well
People are also debating an old projection. Eichel's current pace is 99 points.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
he's hardly even behind....heck he could catch up in a couple good games...and he doesn't play for a ridiculous high scoring team like the Leafs and the Sabres PP unit this year is underwhelming because the coach always likes to have somebody on the PP that loses possession every time the puck touches their stick.
He's got an elite scoring winger with him this year though... it should help his numbers.

DemidovSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Seems every time I come on here, there is a thread that wants to tarnish or trash this kid. His play the last few weeks has been elite and his head to head with Matthews is the start of something special between the two.

So far today Eichel has 2 goals, giving him 9 on the season. He is staying relatively healthy as well and as long as he stays healthy, 90 plus points should not be a question. I think there are a lot of posters out there that need to eat their crow, give this kid his props for how he has played for much of this season AND finally acknowledge that he is in the elite class of players in this league.

I understand many can't/won't do that, others will still turn this into a pissing match one way or another by including players like Matthews and McDavid...so my expectations are low.

But for those that can recognize what he is doing this season, I implore you to drop a line in here for a young guy that has taken far too much **** on here despite being a ppg player that has had to deal with health issues and ****ty teammates the past 2 years.
Should be on pace for more. However, I wouldn’t pay much attention to all this “on pace” stuff, especially not when it’s invlolves sabres’ players. First, the team is playing over their head. Second, everyone’s ppg fall off as the grind of the schedule starts to wear on people.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
The problem is a lot of Buffalo fans where saying that he was better than McDavid after 10 games into their rookie season and laughing at Edmonton because they didn't make the right choice so when McDavid clearly showed he was way superior to Eichel he kinda got laughed at

While he his still very very good there are a lot of young players who exploded in production (Marner, Matthews, Barzal, Rantanen, MacK, Aho etc.) so that is why he is not talked about that much but he is still a very good player and clearly Buffalo's franchise player.
While this did happen, I think most people forgot about it because after McDavid shut everyone up the Buffalo/Eichel fans didn't try to bring it up again. This is the exact opposite of with Matthews where every season or every couple months we have a new thread trying to claim he's nearly as good if not better than McDavid.

Jack Eichel is a great hockey player and one of the best young players in the game. Anyone with a clue already knew that prior to this season.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
I think comparatively to their positions, they are pretty even in where they’d rank around the league, but Eichel plays the more valuable position. He’s also performing just as well on a worse team with much worse talent around him as the captain. Is Marner even a top 2-3 player on his own team right now? Eichel is the clear best player on his own team.

That’s not to say Marner isn’t one of the up and coming wingers in the NHL. I just don’t think when talking about comparable level hockey players that the winger beats the center. I also think the other factors favor Eichel.

"Is the guy top 4 in league scoring a top 2-3 player on his own team"?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Good for him. The Sabres are starting to cool off a bit now so it'll be interesting to see if Eichel's talent can sustain the Sabres' cool down.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
Its going to be hard to manage that salary cap with Marner at more than 11 million.

My list is the same as Isaac's. And non-Leafs fans thinking Marner is going to get 11 million is wishful thinking. This imaginary cap hell that people want the Leafs to be in is not happening. Kucherov got 9.5 after coming off 90 and 100+ point seasons in which he scored over 30 goals in both and he had a slightly longer track record. Marner will likely come in at 8.5ish.

Reactions: Voight

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Could you imagine how upset Leaf fans will get if Eichel wins the Hart Trophy before Matthews does?

I have no preference between the two because they are both American. Doesn't matter to me which of the two is the 1C and which is the 2C for us in international competitions, but Eichel hate is almost entirely driven by Leaf fans trying to clear out the competition for Matthews.

Edit: Some of it also has to do with thinking Marner is 2OA in a 2015 re-draft.

I don't think they will be upset at all. Matthews has 2 other elite teammates to take some of the recognition and shine away from what he does, fair or not.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Do you need me to break down the difference between UFA and RFA for you?

RFA's can also sit out 1/3 of the season if they think they deserve a higher salary, but thats an unusual process, so you might not be familiar with how that works.

I think its possible that Marner takes a discount. The other Leaf fan mentioned Kucherov, and that might be around the number that Marner comes in at, but signing Tavares to 11M is a good negotiating ploy for Matthews and Marner. It was also a good negotiating ploy for Nylander, and I think given the situation he was working with that he was always going to agree to a discount of what he's worth in a contract negotiation with Toronto, he got the money he wanted in the standoff. All it takes is one of these guys to not want to take any discount of what they'd get on the open market, and Toronto's in big trouble with the cap. Nylander's negotiations wasn't even about whether or not he's going to take a discount. He did, and it still was that close to him sitting out a season.

RFA's have also started to be given higher salaries comparatively to UFA's. Teams are realizing the importance of keeping their own RFA's and less teams are wading into the UFA market. Dubas is either going to be shown to be in over his head or he's going to come out of these contract negotiations in the summer as one of the best GM's in the league. Tough job. I don't think the Leafs cap situation is as easy to manage as Leaf fans think.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Do you need me to break down the difference between UFA and RFA for you?
Other than Matthews Mariner is your most important player (in fact I think you could argue they are equally as important). If he ends up in a hold out the team is in trouble. And there is no way in hell he takes less than the $10 million Jack got.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
My list is the same as Isaac's. And non-Leafs fans thinking Marner is going to get 11 million is wishful thinking. This imaginary cap hell that people want the Leafs to be in is not happening. Kucherov got 9.5 after coming off 90 and 100+ point seasons in which he scored over 30 goals in both and he had a slightly longer track record. Marner will likely come in at 8.5ish.
Kucherov also plays for a team in Florida which has no state income tax, so someone being paid more in a tax hell will take home significantly less.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Other than Matthews Mariner is your most important player (in fact I think you could argue they are equally as important). If he ends up in a hold out the team is in trouble. And there is no way in hell he takes less than the $10 million Jack got.

The 10 million + number certainly seems to be what other fanbases will wish for, but I don't see it happening. With the Kucherov signing, and the impending Rantanen signing, the market will be set for Mitch.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Fully agree, Eichel was a pretty nice consolation prize for Buffalo in that draft even if the GM was a complete jerk about it.

Reactions: Dr Black

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Kucherov also plays for a team in Florida which has no state income tax, so someone being paid more in a tax hell will take home significantly less.

I forget who did the breakdown (Sportsnet maybe?) but the way the Leafs have been paying in bonus money worked out to more advantageous than the Florida tax break.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario

So if he's supposedly worth more than Eichel, you're conceding he's better than Eichel as well?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So if he's supposedly worth more than Eichel, you're conceding he's better than Eichel as well?
He is as valuable to his team as Jack is to us and Jack set that $10 million benchmark over a year ago. Mariner isn't going to take less and will probably want to set a new benchmark because this is how these things work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->