So tell me about Rutherford....

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
I have no idea what analysis method you are using to determine that Harrington and Dumo are going be nothing but average bottom pairing players. That's simply not an accurate analysis, and no one that's watched them for any length of time thinks that.

This org already has a legit #1 Dman in Letang, and (2) blue chip young D men that project to top pairing D men in Maatta and Pouliot. The next tier of D prospects includes Harrington and Dumo, who project to good middle pairing defenders. And then we added Cole for depth, and have the salary cap space this offseason to sign a middle pairing defender. And Lovejoy signed for next year as a bridge.

So our issue really is not defensive depth. We need size and speed on the wing and a bigger, more physical 3C. The Despres deal was not good value, but it certainly doesn't cancel out the Perron deal. Young top line wings don't grow on trees.

You know what we didn't address with the trading of one of our better assets? "Size and speed on the wing and a bigger, more physical 3C." Despite different assessments of Dumo and Harry by different posters, the Despres trade still stings because of the wasted asset factor.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
hahahahahah

okay, but outside of that, do you agree?

I always hate ranking guys in terms of being a bluechipper or not. I like to look at how they fit into the overall roster. Last summer I saw Letang, Harrington, Maatta, DP and Despres as the core that could make up their top four. Dumo I saw as trade bait or a #5 and Bort I knew was a goner.

I saw it like this:

Letang Harrington
Despres Maatta
DP Dumo

Then I figured one of DP or Maatta would be moved for a top line winger within a year or two.

I suspect the org always saw it like such:

Letang Maatta
Harrington DP
Despres

If they considered Despres a bottom pairing guy, then so be it I guess. I can't undo the trade, so I'm hoping Cole essentially replaces Despres.

They have way too many lefties though, so I don't think this group will stay together how we all envision it anyway, given the current coaching staffs obsession with handedness. I mean last year, we weren't talking about Lovejoy and Cole, now here they are.

AquaticBirdman

Sep 25, 2007
Montreal, Canada
Where is this coming from? Lovejoy is definitely not that. He looked more than solid in his very first game back, and has handled lots of tough minutes the last few years. And he's not a rental, he is signed through next year.

I have zero problem with Lovejoy the player as a reliable and legit mid pairing guy right now, I have an issue with the value, and giving up on another young guy.

Losing the value side of the deal makes the path to putting together a proper roster more difficult, but certainly not impossible.

Jury is out as to whether or not his form with Anaheim will carry-over to the Pens. Different team, different coach, different system. Am I hopeful he does work out? Absolutely. I just don't want him to become another Scuderi for us, in the sense that we thought we were getting ourselves a solid veteran blue liner, only for him to be nothing more than a waste of cap space.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Send JR to the moon with Adams.

e20a276c67ca7d65a195f890268c8366.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad