So is this season officially a success?

So is this season officially a success?

• Total voters

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
The season is a success if the Canucks can show reasonably well against Vegas if not win the series. If the Canucks get blown out, there will be gnashing of teeth and many angry takes in the management thread.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
as far as goals for the season it is definitely a success but they need to continue to take full advantage of the opportunity they've been granted and earned to this point.

no guarantees they find themselves back at this point in the next couple years.

This.

Benning in particular will have to find a way to get out of the cap crunch without losing core pieces.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yup.

Our pick is no better than 23rd.

Our young players have flourished.

We took out the defending Cup champs in less than 7 games.

We’re the last Canadian team standing after five others made the cutoff.

It’s definitely a success - and the only question is, how well can they build on it from here?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
The season is a success if the Canucks can show reasonably well against Vegas if not win the series. If the Canucks get blown out, there will be gnashing of teeth and many angry takes in the management thread.

I don’t know how anyone could be THAT upset if we get swept - Vegas are the odds-on favourite to win the Cup and we just took out one of the other favourites. It’s a good possibility we don’t win a single game. Just as long as we never give up, that’s all I ask for.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
They've achieved their goals, yes.

I'm hoping that the team can show some promise against VGK, whether we win or not is of less importance.

CambieKev

Scout. Future Considerations, Dobber Prospects.
Aug 26, 2019
The Canucks had only ever reached the second round ten times before this season.

2019-20 is a success not only relative to last summer's expectations but to the team's standards of success in general. This is as far as the 1991-92, 1992-93, 1994-95, 2002-03 and 2008-09 reached.

This year's team has arguably accomplished more than the others. They've eliminated two opponents already.

Anything more would make this, at the very least, the fourth-best run in Canucks history.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
For me, it's been a success since they got past the play-in round with Minny. That bought them a minimum of 4 games with the defending champions, which is invaluable experience for our young core. To go even further than that, I don't know how anyone could see this season as anything but a success.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think given expectations this season has been a success. Hughes stepped right in and became our franchise #1 Dman. Our core group got the playoff experience they need and we found out that our core group can perform in the playoffs.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I voted yes, and I think that’s a pretty easy decision. Their regular season was a sizeable improvement over past years, and even with the stumble they were going through at the pause, it was a marked improvement. They then had the same chance as many other teams to playoffs and they seized it by winning their qualifier and have now ousted the defending Cup champs to proceed to the second round for the first time in 9 years - all on the backs of our best players being our best players.

That’s a pretty successful season.

Reactions: F A N

YtooLame

Aug 22, 2020
Team winning 2 playoff rounds thus far, including knocking out the Incumbent Cup Champs, obvious success is obvious.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
I'm just happy that they didn't give up a lotary pick for Miller trade.

I agree with this by if your lottery picked turned into a PPG player, who can PK, and plays with a little snarl you would be pretty damn happy.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In many respects this is a tale of 'two seasons' in one. Canucks young corps seems to have taken a quantum leap in the fourth months between the regular season being abandoned in March, and the start of the playoffs in August. It's almost like they're in training camp for a new season, and are coming in older and stronger.

The Canucks in March were in a life and death struggle to even make the playoffs.....this August version of the Canucks is a legit top-tier team that belongs in the final eight.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
If the management can slay the offseason dragon, i have to accept the uncomfortable existence of optimism.

I didn't expect for them to be in the top8, expected for them to wrap things up after first round at most.

Hoped for them not to do anything dumb at the trade deadline and I'm still torn wether the toffoli trade was beneficial or not.

Ate a big ol bowl of crow over Myers' first season, and over the motte trade.

The kids are growing and time will tell if this is sustainable over a normal season, whenever it might be.

But 2019-20 is already a bountiful harvest in contrast over the years of famine we've had.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Maybe I am the minority here, but I think the 19-20 season is completely inconclusive, this is five month later and as it is longer than a normal off season it is separate.

Now, this weird playoff tournament is absolutely a success. Beating the blues is amazing and no other way to look at it.

so I guess depends on the exact question.

Nov 1, 2011
Maybe I am the minority here, but I think the 19-20 season is completely inconclusive, this is five month later and as it is longer than a normal off season it is separate.

Now, this weird playoff tournament is absolutely a success. Beating the blues is amazing and no other way to look at it.

I think the question is clear.

I believe you are doing mental gymnastics to make is unclear so that you can have a controversial or dissenting opinion.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

No question the regular season was shaping up to be a dismal failure, trading away a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and prospect only to begin the usual end of season collapse to be a lottery team. All while capping out.

Success will be contending for the Cup over multiple seasons.

Making the conference final will be a step in that direction. Getting demolished in the 2nd round, not so much. We saw the Oilers go that route in 2017 under another disaster from Boston in Chia.

Reactions: racerjoe

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I think the question is clear.

I believe you are doing mental gymnastics to make is unclear so that you can have a controversial or dissenting opinion.

There was more space between “playoffs” and the regular season than a normal offseason... more teams made it to a play in than normal... the grind of a regular season meant nothing...

if it’s mental gymnastics it’s really not that hard.

Reactions: I am toxic

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
There wasn't a season. It ended half way through. Whatever this tournament is, the Canucks are doing very well in.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
No question the regular season was shaping up to be a dismal failure, trading away a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and prospect only to begin the usual end of season collapse to be a lottery team. All while capping out.

Success will be contending for the Cup over multiple seasons.

Making the conference final will be a step in that direction. Getting demolished in the 2nd round, not so much. We saw the Oilers go that route in 2017 under another disaster from Boston in Chia.

I don’t agree that the regular season was shaping up to be a dismal failure. The Canucks had a win percentage of .565 (up from .494 in 2018/2019 and .445 in 2017/2018). They also had games in hand on all of their competition when the pause hit. The Markstrom injury was certainly a big hit, but if the measuring stick of the team was that they needed to show significant progress over previous years, they were definitely doing so - and they were very much in the playoff picture when the pause got hit.

ErrantShepherd

Nostalgic despite the Bad
Dec 2, 2018
...Canada, eh?
I don’t agree that the regular season was shaping up to be a dismal failure. The Canucks had a win percentage of .565 (up from .494 in 2018/2019 and .445 in 2017/2018). They also had games in hand on all of their competition when the pause hit. The Markstrom injury was certainly a big hit, but if the measuring stick of the team was that they needed to show significant progress over previous years, they were definitely doing so - and they were very much in the playoff picture when the pause got hit.

I think the Canucks were lucky the season ended where it did as we were trending down due to Marky's injury.

But an element of luck doesn't take away success. The goal posts for success this year from the very start were to make the playoffs. We won the play-in round, we won the first round. We have gone beyond the marker, and now its all about seeing how far we can keep going.

I don't see how this season could be seen as anything other than a success, unless one has very different conditions for "success."

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I think the Canucks were lucky the season ended where it did as we were trending down due to Marky's injury.

But an element of luck doesn't take away success. The goal posts for success this year from the very start were to make the playoffs. We won the play-in round, we won the first round. We have gone beyond the marker, and now its all about seeing how far we can keep going.

I don't see how this season could be seen as anything other than a success, unless one has very different conditions for "success."

There was an element of luck, for sure. But if there’s a common denominator amongst all teams that compete for the Cup, it’s that they catch some breaks along the way.

Reactions: ErrantShepherd

mriswith

Oct 12, 2011
We sold a 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Madden to make the playoffs this season and we were going to miss the playoffs despite that if covid didn't happen.

The regular season was a failure.

The playoffs have been a success. Winning a round in the playoffs is always a success.

The way they played in that playoff round was a success too. Full buy in from the team, everyone playing all out, max effort and max commitment, you love to see it. You don't usually see that level of effort in a team that just spent 5 seasons as one of the worst teams in the league, we've avoided the buffalo/edmonton/florida locker room curse.

But we're in cap hell right now despite the fact that our #1C, #1D, and #1 goalie make 5.5 million combined.

There's no room for future growth in the cap world without a ton of the bloat leaving and not being replaced with more bloat. There's not even enough room to keep our current roster together.

So was this season a success? Yes. Are we closer to the cup next year as a result of what happened this season? Probably not. Are we the 2009 blackhawks? Lol not even close because of our cap situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad