So is this season officially a success?

So is this season officially a success?

• Total voters

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Not counting our boys out by any means, but I think its fair to say that this team has exceeded expectations and have already gotten a mental sense of a "deep" playoff run by winning 2 series', even though it is technically only round 2. Dethroning the defending Cup champs has also got to be a huge boost.

They are playing with house money at this point and with a potentially shortened off season they could ride high with this into the possible December regular season start time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ginger Papa

Hammer79

Jan 9, 2009
Kelowna
December regular season? In front of fans? I don't think so. They can't bubble up for an entire season, that's too much to ask. MLB tried letting their players travel around and play with no fans, but they still have to cancel games all the time due to infections.

Yes, this season is a success. The tankers had us in the 70 to 80 point range, and when we won the play-in 'we never would have got in if not for COVID'. Then we beat the defending Cup champions in the first round.... Maybe we wouldn't have had the chance due to Markstrom's injury and Demko's shaky play, but clearly, we should have had that chance. All of the hand-wringing that we didn't get a pick for Vanek, look how that turns out. I think there has to be some soul searching going on here. Our fourth line just roasted the cup champions.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
as far as goals for the season it is definitely a success but they need to continue to take full advantage of the opportunity they've been granted and earned to this point.

no guarantees they find themselves back at this point in the next couple years.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Yes.
"This" very unique, unprecedented season is a success.
Probably never get so many favorable circumstances again, but pretty undeniably a success.

The real deal is continuing this seasons success into the upcoming ones.

Phenomenon13

Oct 10, 2011
Absolutely a success. I doubted them hard but they've proven that they can get it done. Completely exceeded my expectations

Reactions: Kreator

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Yes. This season is a success because benning went all in for a playoff birth to save his job. It isn’t going to be pretty when the team isn’t as good in whatever 2021 season there is.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
From a season that started as "A team like that" to where they are now. Yes it is definitely a success, regardless of how things play out from here the team has become a contender again.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I would say yes.

I think that expectation was playoffs when the Miller trade was made.

When the Toffoli trade was made I think the expectations had to go up with it so winning a round probably accomplishes that.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
A successful season was just making the playoffs to get our kids some "playoff experience".

Here we are, in the second round, with pundits rooting for us against a juggernaut Vegas team. This season is a success. The Miller trade, a risk at the time, has been a complete success. Frankly, as long as you don't look too closely to the salary cap sitaution, everything is about this season is a resounding success.

Reactions: David71

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Yes.
"This" very unique, unprecedented season is a success.
Probably never get so many favorable circumstances again, but pretty undeniably a success.

The real deal is continuing this seasons success into the upcoming ones.
Favourable circumstances such as
Even though being the 7 seed, having to play a heavy, defensive grind of a best of 5 to even get into the playoffs?
Instead of playing Colorado in the first round where we have at least a somewhat good matchup against, we draw the top seed in the west, #2 team in the league champions from last year who play an even more physical game?
To have to play the champs from the previous year who are super deep, super fast and can score in waves?

it hasn’t been a “favourable” road.

Reactions: CanucksMJL

Didalee Hed

I’m trying to understand
Sep 14, 2019
Here we are, in the second round, with pundits rooting for us against a juggernaut Vegas team. This season is a success. The Miller trade, a risk at the time, has been a complete success. Frankly, as long as you don't look too closely to the salary cap sitaution, everything is about this season is a resounding success.
Also known as “Benning’s Prayer”

Reactions: I am toxic

Bojack Horvatman

IAMGROOT
Jun 15, 2016
Favourable circumstances such as
Even though being the 7 seed, having to play a heavy, defensive grind of a best of 5 to even get into the playoffs?
Instead of playing Colorado in the first round where we have at least a somewhat good matchup against, we draw the top seed in the west, #2 team in the league champions from last year who play an even more physical game?
To have to play the champs from the previous year who are super deep, super fast and can score in waves?

it hasn’t been a “favourable” road.

There certainly have been benefits though. Having Markstrom, Tanev, and Boeser back and healthy was huge. Even Sutter benefitted from the time off.

That being said, every team had the same advantages/disadvantages. It was their job to show up and play. They did that.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
This should be a poll but a resounding yes.

Anyone who uses an excuse that it's lucky is ridiculous and is only engaging with hypothetical scenarios.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad