So how much longer before a Canadian team wins the Cup?

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
Gary Bettman said that Edmonton would be competitive if they built a new, greater than billion dollar development centered by a hockey arena in downtown Edmonton.

http://www.rogersplace.com/

Gary gets what Gary wants. :nod:

How would a new arena benefit Bettman and the Owners around the league?

Its not like they are getting a cut of Katz's profit. And even if they are, the arena seating capacity is not even that much greater than Rexall place.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Meh, not that I care about the team's location., but I'll just randomly guess within 5 years.

Headshot77

Bad Photoshopper
Feb 15, 2015
The next team Canadian to win the cup will be the Nordiques, I'll bet vCash on it.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
How the hell are the Leafs half way through their build? We're 56 games into the Babcock era, Nylander and Marner aren't even in the NHL yet...we might be half way through the tear down but we're not close to being half through this thing. I will say this though, if we get Matthews that quickens things up.

Not that I necessarily agree with that comment, but I think he's trying to suggest that you already have some outstanding building blocks in Rielly, Nylander and Marner. I could be wrong though. :dunno:

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
imo it goes like this:

1. Edmonton
2. Calgary
3. Toronto/Winnipeg
4. Toronto/Winnipeg
5. Montreal
6. Vancouver
7. Ottawa

The only reason Ottawa is last is because of the internal cap, they are a middle of the pack team who can't afford to acquire more talent. It sucks Karlsson has to go through this.

Edmonton should win soon if they get their act together, which is a huge if

victor

Sep 6, 2003
How would a new arena benefit Bettman and the Owners around the league?

Its not like they are getting a cut of Katz's profit. And even if they are, the arena seating capacity is not even that much greater than Rexall place.

In a word: Money.

The owners like money, and the most money is in property development deals, not hockey.

Take a look at this:

Gary Bettman - CalgaryNext

The Flames ownership is trying to follow Edmonton's into a massive property development deal.

That said, I wouldn't be shocked with Edmonton contending in the near future anyway - they have many of the pieces in place already, and their best player is generational, and in his first season. Injuries have held them (and him) back, but a high draft pick and healthy players might be enough to make them contenders.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
As a Canucks fan it pains me to say it but Calgary and Edmonton have the best chance. McDavid and Drai down the middle is going to be unbelievable and Gaudreau, Bennett, and Monahan plus Gio, Hamilton and Brodie are a great core. I see way too many holes for the Leafs and not enough quality players in the NHL. Marner and Nylander and Rielly and a couple of other decent prospects but not much else. It's going to be a long time, IMO, before they're close to competing.

I think the consensus here seems to be the Leafs will have the longest rebuild of any team in the NHL. Even ones who have yet to start their rebuild.
And if you take time to look at the Leafs prospects, there's a lot more than just Nylander and Marner. Those are just the two that make the most headlines. Again, Leafs are easily top 5 in NHL prospects. It's simply incorrect to try to say they lack prospect depth.

Last edited:

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
I don't understand why this is important to people. It's not like a Canadian team winning is going to make the world any better than it is now.

It is important for the teams and the fans. Teams generate huge revenue from merchandising, playoff games, etc. Fanbases grow and fans get to enjoy watching their heroes win it all. An entire generation of kids in Canada has not had that chance. That's really sad!! The longer the cup drought continues, the more it starts to look like the Canadian teams are being marginalized, intentionally or not.

Reactions: rosenqvist

tolwyn

Feb 4, 2015
The amount of people who think the Leafs are anywhere but the beginning of their rebuild is astounding... None of our prospects have proven a thing at the NHL level. Reilly and Gardiner show promise, but they aren't #1's yet at all. Nylander and Marner could easily bust. We have JVR and Kadri. No goalie. We need to draft well and develop for at LEAST another 2-3 years and stockpile talent. Babcock specifically signed for the term and amount he did because he knows we aren't competing till the later part of that contract.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Just as the subject asks: How much longer until a Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup?

I used to say it was just a matter of time, maybe 2-5 years. I now believe even stronger than that, that it's going to be 10-15 more years. It's a lost cause for Canada.

You could tell me it will be 30 more years, and I'd believe that more easily than I'd believe it if you told me it will be less than 10 years.

Mmmmm serving milk with these troll house cookies ??

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
The amount of people who think the Leafs are anywhere but the beginning of their rebuild is astounding... None of our prospects have proven a thing at the NHL level. Reilly and Gardiner show promise, but they aren't #1's yet at all. Nylander and Marner could easily bust. We have JVR and Kadri. No goalie. We need to draft well and develop for at LEAST another 2-3 years and stockpile talent. Babcock specifically signed for the term and amount he did because he knows we aren't competing till the later part of that contract.

Would that be said of any other team's prospects? I can't remember a time where two players who were consensus top 10 prospects were thought to be in a situation where they could "Easily" be busts.

By the draft they'll be in the same spot Buffalo was last summer.

And the Leafs do have a goalie BTW.

Babcock signed for the amount because it was 50 million. In fact, he could have even had a longer contract.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Where's the obsession, the persons just asking a question...

... that gets asked week after week, after week. Or is there new ground to cover this time?

****, there were plenty of Americans pissed when the Blue Jays won 2 world series in a row.:laugh:

couldn't have cared less. - even for 25 years, but that's not very likely is it? :laugh:

And I really don't think there were "plenty of Americans pissed"...

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think the consensus here seems to be the Leafs will have the longest rebuild of any team in the NHL. Even ones who have yet to start their rebuild.
And if you take time to look at the Leafs prospects, there's a lot more than just Nylander and Marner. Those are just the two that make the most headlines. Again, Leafs are easily top 5 in NHL prospects. It's simply incorrect to try to say they lack prospect depth.

I think the main reason you're top 5 is Marner and Nylander. I do agree however that you have a few other decent prospects. Just not much in the big club and a lot of those prospects will be a few years away from having an impact. I think you're underestimating how long it will take as most quick rebuilds started from a better base. We will see.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
4 things need to happen and Habs are back to very good

1) price returns
2) draft quality forward in top 5-10
3) sign UFA top 6 forward
4) fire Therrien

if they can add to galchenyuk, pacioretty and gallagher in top 6...
they can get good again, fast

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
2019-2020...the Winnipeg Jets.
The league's best prospects and young players like Connor (better ppg than Eichel and Larkin), Petan, Ehlers, Harkins, Armia, Scheifele, Trouba, Hellebuyck, Morriessey, Lemieux, Comrie, etc... mixed with vets like Wheeler and Buff... might even be 2018-2019.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
  • Hawks drafted 3 OA in 2004, 7OA in 2005, 3OA in 2006, 1OA in 2007 and won it all in 2010.
  • Kings drafted 4OA in 2007, 2OA in 2008, and 5 OA in 2009, winning it all in 2012.
  • Bruins drafted 5OA in 2006, 8 OA in 2007 and won it all in 2011.
  • Penguins drafted 1OA in 2005, 2OA in 2006 and won it all in 2010.

It could be as early as 3 years. Or it could be 10 years or more.

Last edited:

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Who knows honestly.

It is very hard to predict which and when the next Canadien team wins the cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad