So how much longer before a Canadian team wins the Cup?

StayFrosty

Dec 6, 2011
Just as the subject asks: How much longer until a Canadian team wins the Stanley Cup?

I used to say it was just a matter of time, maybe 2-5 years. I now believe even stronger than that, that it's going to be 10-15 more years. It's a lost cause for Canada.

You could tell me it will be 30 more years, and I'd believe that more easily than I'd believe it if you told me it will be less than 10 years.

Skip2myBordyloo

Stay the course
Apr 7, 2010
Oilers might be able to compete in 3 years, if they get some help on defense. Might need an upgrade in net, but that's yet to be seen.

Flames get some Goaltending and depth, could also do the same.

Think the Leafs are further along might be ready in 4-5 years, Vancouver, maybe longer.

Not sure what to think of Montreal, Price could take them all the way with a half decent team. How long will it take to build in front of him?

Jets and Sens need to identify a core and build around them.

I think Phaneuf and Ryan are going to limit the Sens ability to add players under the cap to build a strong team.

Jets need to sell Ladd and figure out their D situation, if Trouba can play LD long term then it might work, otherwise 3 good RHD and a weak left side isn't going to work.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Edmonton has some time to get their **** together still. Winnipeg has a bright future with a loaded prospect pool. Calgary has some good pieces if they can add a few more here and there they could rise to contenders. Toronto is probably at least half a decade away but has some good young core guys to work with. Ottawa needs to put it together pretty good quick or they'll waste Karlssons prime years. Montreal needs to supplement Price soon or they'll waste his best years as well. Vancouver.. Well they just need to pick a direction already.
I think at the earliest it will be another 2 seasons before a Canadian team can make a solid run at the cup. But in another 4-5 years I think at least 2 Canadian teams will be in serious contender territory between the Flames, Sens, Jets, Leafs and Oilers.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
5 years. Edmonton has a generational player. Toronto, Winnipeg, and Calgary are mid way through their builds. Montreal has a base now. I think its tougher for Ottawa and Vancouver in particular as they seem to be treading water in no mans land.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
5 years. Edmonton has a generational player. Toronto, Winnipeg, and Calgary are mid way through their builds. Montreal has a base now. I think its tougher for Ottawa and Vancouver in particular as they seem to be treading water in no mans land.

How the hell are the Leafs half way through their build? We're 56 games into the Babcock era, Nylander and Marner aren't even in the NHL yet...we might be half way through the tear down but we're not close to being half through this thing. I will say this though, if we get Matthews that quickens things up.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Habs was Canadas only hope in the near future... but then we all know who got hurt and killed that

I really don't know... its not looking good for any team for a long time

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
How the hell are the Leafs half way through their build?

I think they are. They're farther ahead than I thought they'd be. By the draft, they'll definitely be at least half way there.

I do agree about Ottawa and Vancouver. They're like the Leafs were for years. No true direction.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
How the hell are the Leafs half way through their build? We're 56 games into the Babcock era, Nylander and Marner aren't even in the NHL yet...we might be half way through the tear down but we're not close to being half through this thing. I will say this though, if we get Matthews that quickens things up.

hahah im wondering the same thing... I assumed it was known they are pretty much at the very rock bottom of their build.. well I guess technically a couple years into it.. Nylander was the starting piece

Sarcastic

PosterOfTheYear2014
Sep 18, 2011
Toronto
I don't understand why this is important to people. It's not like a Canadian team winning is going to make the world any better than it is now.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Montreal are the only one right now that could, with the right players playing, go to the final and maybe win it.

After them Ottawa and Vancouver are in the middle, bubble teams. But don't expect either to challenge for 5-10 years at least.

Flames, Leafs and Oilers are rebuilding. Could see the Leafs or Oilers winning one in 5 years.

Jets are after Habs, 2-3 years.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Calgary, when they get 3 NHL d-men to replace Wideman, Russell and Engelland and if Gillies plays to his potential. They might want to replace their Jack Adams winning coach as well for one that values keeping the damn puck and not playing 2 enforcers.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
hahah im wondering the same thing... I assumed it was known they are pretty much at the very rock bottom of their build

Don't agree with this. They're easily top 5 in prospects already before the June draft.
Would any other team near them in those rankings be considered that far away?

Guaranteed by this time next year Leafs will have the #1 prospect pool.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I just don't see it happening for a very long time... Canada isn't very high on UFA's lists each year and signing free agents is always a major piece... some teams will make it a couple rounds in playoffs but that's as far as I see

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Shrimper;114037029[B said:
]Montreal are the only one right now that could, with the right players playing, go to the final and maybe win it.
[/B]
After them Ottawa and Vancouver are in the middle, bubble teams. But don't expect either to challenge for 5-10 years at least.

Flames, Leafs and Oilers are rebuilding. Could see the Leafs or Oilers winning one in 5 years.

Jets are after Habs, 2-3 years.

I dunno. Montreal's been completely exposed as a team with no depth. Without Price they're 30th overall. That should not be happening. That offence needs to be rebuilt.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka

We're pretty much at the end of the tear down. We have no long term contracts and no obscene salaries moving forward. We have two top 4 dmen, one with the potential to be a solid top pair guy in Rielly. We have two very high ranked forwards in Marner and Nylander. We have another top pick. We have solid 2nd tier prospects and a highly ranked overall prospect pool. The league is getting younger. Take a look at the age of LA and Chicago's top talent when they won their first Cups. It happens quickly. Thats why I said 5 years. LA picked before us in '09 and won a Cup in 2012. It happens fast.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
We're pretty much at the end of the tear down. We have no long term contracts and no obscene salaries moving forward. We have two top 4 dmen, one with the potential to be a solid top pair guy in Rielly. We have two very high ranked forwards in Marner and Nylander. We have another top pick. We have solid 2nd tier prospects and a highly ranked overall prospect pool. The league is getting younger. Take a look at the age of LA and Chicago's top talent when they won their first Cups. It happens quickly. Thats why I said 5 years. LA picked before us in '09 and won a Cup in 2012. It happens fast.

Yup. I see 1 more painful year before they can start improving. Adding Marner/Nylander and potentially one of the top 3 players in June is going to be a big jolt soon enough.

boredguy

Sep 24, 2007
Who knows. A Canadian team could be the "best" team for awhile and still not win a cup, or you could have one that's not the best and go on a Cinderella run and win one. Trying to predict who wins a cup in the current year is a folly, extending it out just makes it worse.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
What's the obsession with a Canadian team - a team that will almost assuredly include lots of euros and Americans - winning the cup?

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I give you your 2016-2017 Stanley Cup champions the Quebec Nordiques. The first expansion team to win a cup in their inaugural season. This years conn smythe goes to captain David Clarkson.......... this happening has a greater chance than a Canadian team winning the cup within the next 3 years. From there on out, the oilers, leafs, and flames should be serious contenders. The sens, nucks, and habs will need to go through a rebuild most likely depending on how the teams move forward. The jets have depth but need a superstar player. If they get Matthews, I think they can win a cup within 3 years. Hopefully though the Leafs get Matthews.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Honestly, I don't think it will happen again barring a miracle. When a group of 6-7 teams in a league go 23 years without winning the prize, you can't just contribute it to bad luck.

It's just not going to happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad