So how much longer before a Canadian team wins the Cup?

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Honestly, I don't think it will happen again barring a miracle. When a group of 6-7 teams in a league go 23 years without winning the prize, you can't just contribute it to bad luck.

It's just not going to happen.

Now that's going overboard. There's no legible reason why it'll take a "Miracle" for 1 of 7 to win it all.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
The last team with a realistic chance was the 2011 Canucks.
If I was a betting person, I'd pick the Oilers as then next one. Sooner or later that team will get it together and start to surround the stars with some good pieces.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I'll go with Edmonton. They'll probably end up with Mathews this year, as they win every year.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I think the closest two are the Flames and Habs.

The Flames need a #4 d-man, a goalie and some forward depth (our pick this year should give us enough star firepower up front).

Habs need a new coach and a centerman. Price is good enough on his own that he can make things happen in the playoffs.

Toronto is year 1 of rebuild, Winnipeg should be better but the GM doesn't do a great job IMO of building a team, Ottawa has little outside Karlsson, Stone and Hoffman. Vancouver are doing what the Flames did in 2010-2012, trying to win with an old core when they need to trade everything away. Edmonton has McDavid, 3 other 1st Overall's, a 3rd overall, a 7th overall and are still the worst team in the league. They have no defense, Talbot is ok, but no consistent enough. Edmonton isn't close to being competitive, they need to find 2 1st pairing d-men, Klefbom may turn into one, but he will need someone to play tough minutes with and Sekera isn't that.

Church of Toews*

Montreal are the only one right now that could, with the right players playing, go to the final and maybe win it.

After them Ottawa and Vancouver are in the middle, bubble teams. But don't expect either to challenge for 5-10 years at least.

Flames, Leafs and Oilers are rebuilding. Could see the Leafs or Oilers winning one in 5 years.

Jets are after Habs, 2-3 years.

Montreal never convinced as a true cup contender. No #1C, their second line is pretty bad compared to LA,Tampa, and other teams that made the finals recently, Markov is old and declining while Petry isn't a bad he can't step in to replace him. They have to shore up that offense most of all.

Id say in 5 years Toronto,Calgary and in 5 years from i hope they have finally made the post season Edmonton will be the best ones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary will all have trouble attracting and retaining talent due to size of the city, location, ownership. I don't just mean players, but also coaching staff, management, scouts, support staff, etc.

Vancouver would be in a decent rebuild situation *but* their meddling ownership kills their chances for the foreseeable future.

Montreal is on the way down. If they win one of the lottery picks and Price can stay in peak form for a few more years they have a chance, but their odds are also limited by their obsession with having francophone management and coaching.

Toronto currently seems to be the only team that doesn't seem to be fatally encumbered by something and have had a strong start to their rebuild.

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Ottawa, Winnipeg, Edmonton, and Calgary will all have trouble attracting and retaining talent due to size of the city, location, ownership. I don't just mean players, but also coaching staff, management, scouts, support staff, etc.

Vancouver would be in a decent rebuild situation *but* their meddling ownership kills their chances for the foreseeable future.

Montreal is on the way down. If they win one of the lottery picks and Price can stay in peak form for a few more years they have a chance, but their odds are also limited by their obsession with having francophone management and coaching.

Toronto currently seems to be the only team that doesn't seem to be fatally encumbered by something and have had a strong start to their rebuild.

In terms of a true rebuild, I think the Leafs are doing the best. Their draft picks from rounds 2-5 from last June are doing so well. That's what's killing Edmonton right now. They can't draft after the first round.
To add, the Leafs also got Babcock signed, and will get another top 3 pick this June with an already very solid prospect pool.
I really like Hunter's picks and believe he'll do a great job.
And for once, no ownership interference. They're sticking to Shanahan's plan.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
What's the obsession with a Canadian team - a team that will almost assuredly include lots of euros and Americans - winning the cup?

Where's the obsession, the persons just asking a question.

If Canadian teams had won the cup the last 25 years I'm pretty sure there would be plenty of Americans asking when's an American team going to win the cup. You'd say nahhh but you'd be wrong.

****, there were plenty of Americans pissed when the Blue Jays won 2 world series in a row.:laugh:

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
In terms of a true rebuild, I think the Leafs are doing the best. Their draft picks from rounds 2-5 from last June are doing so well. That's what's killing Edmonton right now. They can't draft after the first round.
To add, the Leafs also got Babcock signed, and will get another top 3 pick this June with an already very solid prospect pool.
I really like Hunter's picks and believe he'll do a great job.
And for once, no ownership interference. They're sticking to Shanahan's plan.

As a Canucks fan it pains me to say it but Calgary and Edmonton have the best chance. McDavid and Drai down the middle is going to be unbelievable and Gaudreau, Bennett, and Monahan plus Gio, Hamilton and Brodie are a great core. I see way too many holes for the Leafs and not enough quality players in the NHL. Marner and Nylander and Rielly and a couple of other decent prospects but not much else. It's going to be a long time, IMO, before they're close to competing.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
As for the answer to the question....

When all those patriotic Canadian born players who cheered for their hometown teams come back and sign to play for their beloved boyhood teams.

Kind of like how Parise and Suter did...opps they're Americans:laugh:

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
To be serious. Edmonton will be the next Canadian team to win the cup.

Unless Chiarelli makes a stupid trade like he did with the Bruins and gives up too much.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm going to predict that at least one Canadian team will win the cup by the end of the 2020-21 season.

I also predict that a 16 seed will beat a 1 seed in the NCAA mens basketball tournament by the end of this decade. I'm more confident on this one though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad