So how about trading Seth .....

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Both are similar sized players. Height 76", Weight Jones 205, Ekholm 204, Ekholm is 3.5 years younger. Ekholm is a little bit more of a PK type Dman and Jones a little but more of a PP type Dman.

MDZ just doesn't look right with Ellis hat's why I would like Dialby to push for a spot out of the gate. I could see Garrett Noonan push for a spot, LHD, 71" 205lbs, DOB 91' 4 yr NCAA player. .59 pts a game. Compared to Ellis he's a giant bruiser. If anyone 3 would do it. It will be Bitetto, Noonan, and Dialby.
I agree.

I'd love to see Diaby make the team and pair him with Ellis long term.

Ellis no matter what he does will always be small and although his skating has improved he's still not fast and never will be.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I say we give up on Jones. He's useless. I mean come on, Ellis is better than he is.

Jones and Ekholm will be the second pairing for many years for us. They will form a great pairing. Ellis will be a solid third pairing guy with a bruiser playing beside him. People have not mentioned Jarvinen and I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a push for third pairing minutes.

Jones is fine. With a season under his belt he should have learned what the NHL is about and will come back next year with a bigger purpose. The greats usually do. He also has a great mentor in Weber to learn from and ask questions about the game.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I say we give up on Jones. He's useless. I mean come on, Ellis is better than he is.

Jones and Ekholm will be the second pairing for many years for us. They will form a great pairing. Ellis will be a solid third pairing guy with a bruiser playing beside him. People have not mentioned Jarvinen and I wouldn't be surprised to see him make a push for third pairing minutes.

Jones is fine. With a season under his belt he should have learned what the NHL is about and will come back next year with a bigger purpose. The greats usually do. He also has a great mentor in Weber to learn from and ask questions about the game.

I don't mean to imply that I don't think Jones will be very good...but as others have said, unless he's SO good that he makes Weber expendable, he's always going to be a second pairing D for us. Having a great #3 D is wonderful and all, but unless you also have an embarassment of riches elsewhere, it's a luxury. For that reason above all, I'd be okay trading Jones for immediate young forward help.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I don't mean to imply that I don't think Jones will be very good...but as others have said, unless he's SO good that he makes Weber expendable, he's always going to be a second pairing D for us. Having a great #3 D is wonderful and all, but unless you also have an embarassment of riches elsewhere, it's a luxury. For that reason above all, I'd be okay trading Jones for immediate young forward help.

I agree and disagree at the same time. You're right, Jones has to be good enough to move Weber. He isn't just yet. Weber would get the bigger haul right now if you had to trade him or Jones. Problem therein lies that you lose Weber. Now if you trade Jones, since he isn't at his peak yet, you don't get as much for him as you possibly could in a few years and I honestly think if we did trade him, we would regret it dearly. I don't think we'd get the assets we'd need to move forward as well as if we would if we traded Weber. I think moving either at this point is the wrong move unless you land a true number 1 center that is under the age of 25 and there are only 3 that I'm interested in, Duchene, MacKinnon or Backstrom and I don't see any of them being available.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I agree and disagree at the same time. You're right, Jones has to be good enough to move Weber. He isn't just yet. Weber would get the bigger haul right now if you had to trade him or Jones. Problem therein lies that you lose Weber. Now if you trade Jones, since he isn't at his peak yet, you don't get as much for him as you possibly could in a few years and I honestly think if we did trade him, we would regret it dearly. I don't think we'd get the assets we'd need to move forward as well as if we would if we traded Weber. I think moving either at this point is the wrong move unless you land a true number 1 center that is under the age of 25 and there are only 3 that I'm interested in, Duchene, MacKinnon or Backstrom and I don't see any of them being available.

You wouldn't take Couture or Pavelski for Jones? I absolutely would. I just don't see another way of getting a true, high-end #1 center...and Pavs\Couture have both proven capable of being that.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
You wouldn't take Couture or Pavelski for Jones? I absolutely would. I just don't see another way of getting a true, high-end #1 center...and Pavs\Couture have both proven capable of being that.

I'd do Couture. Pavelski turning 30 makes me wary, but he's been very durable through his career and is also a smart player, which can mitigate the aging factor to a certain extent. Would be surprised if he ever breaks 70 again though.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN

Couture yes, Pavelski no. Still think that's selling Jones way too short. While it's a win now I think it's a lose in the long term. I also don't think SJ would move Couture. He's one of the few young guns they've got and moving him isn't in their best interest.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Couture yes, Pavelski no. Still think that's selling Jones way too short. While it's a win now I think it's a lose in the long term. I also don't think SJ would move Couture. He's one of the few young guns they've got and moving him isn't in their best interest.

I agree, Jones, to me, should be untouchable and I would definitely not move him for someone like Pavelski. His potential is sky high and his age falls in line perfectly with Weber, when Weber's on the decline we can still have Jones just entering his prime.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I agree, Jones, to me, should be untouchable and I would definitely not move him for someone like Pavelski. His potential is sky high and his age falls in line perfectly with Weber, when Weber's on the decline we can still have Jones just entering his prime.

That's the big thing, people think Weber is going to play like this forever. Sure the guy still has several years in front of him, but just about the time he starts wearing down a bit Jones should be hitting his stride.

Granted there is a lot of if's there, but if Jones becomes the player we think he could be, it possible Weber, not Jones is the guy skating on the second pairing, which wouldn't be bad at that point because most of his contract will have been paid.

Too me right now if you are trading Jones it pretty much has to be a young top line forward with equal potential that he has. Now if you have another young D man come up that can easily replace him, that opens up a ton of options, not just to move him but potentially others.

On the question of Couture/Pavelski, I agree with most everyone else, Couture yes, Pavelski no

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
So between the three studs you guys have, it seems Josi has the most liquidity right now. Makes sense, and I'm a Flyers fan who has tremendous respect for his game.

On your end, is there a deal you would consider making?

For us, I'd give up BSchenn + LSchenn + 2nd for Josi. If you guys pushed, I also wouldn't necessarily be opposed to losing Robert Hagg either (but then we exit the realm of real life possibility) if it meant landing Josi.

Could Brayden Schenn be a central piece from Philly here? He's probably the Flyers most liquid asset right now, also, and our teams have pretty complementary strengths and weaknesses. Totally understand if BSchenn isn't the game breaker you would want, though. He's very much in a pre-Toronto JVR position right now meaning he would almost certainly breakout if given the necessary ice time and role.

Just trying to gauge value here, and won't be rattled if you guys tell me to **** off. :laugh:

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
So between the three studs you guys have, it seems Josi has the most liquidity right now. Makes sense, and I'm a Flyers fan who has tremendous respect for his game.

For us, I'd give up BSchenn + LSchenn + 2nd for Josi. If you guys pushed, I also wouldn't necessarily be opposed to losing Robert Hagg either (but then we exit the realm of real life possibility) if it meant landing Josi.

Could Brayden Schenn be a central piece from Philly here? He's probably the Flyers most liquid asset right now, also, and our teams have pretty complementary strengths and weaknesses. Totally understand if BSchenn isn't the game breaker you would want, though. He's very much in a pre-Toronto JVR position right now meaning he would almost certainly breakout if given the necessary ice time and role.

Just trying to gauge value here, and won't be rattled if you guys tell me to **** off. :laugh:
Honestly, no real interest in the Schenns, and definitely not in a Josi deal.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN

Schenns aren't too appealing maybe a Josi for Voraceck type deal could work out. I feel as if we would have to add a little but that's what we would shoot for. We need goal scorers not two way forwards, as nice as Brayden would be though.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Fair enough, I figured as much. Like I said, I think BSchenn hasn't yet broken out yet simply due to ES ice time (<13:30/game) and a limited role, but I certainly think you guys are justified to want a more dynamic and proven piece for Josi.

Realistically, Voracek/Josi is, in my opinion at least, a very fair swap. Voracek's just too important a piece for the Flyers to pursue that, though.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Fair enough, I figured as much. Like I said, I think BSchenn hasn't yet broken out yet simply due to ES ice time (<13:30/game) and a limited role, but I certainly think you guys are justified to want a more dynamic and proven piece for Josi.

Realistically, Voracek/Josi is, in my opinion at least, a very fair swap. Voracek's just too important a piece for the Flyers to pursue that, though.

I have a strange feeling that's probably what Poile has been running into, assuming he has been shopping anyone. Josi is one of those guys you really want to get something great in return for or its just not worth it. I'm sure any conversation has ended with, what do you want for Josi? * names young good forward* Uhh yeah we can't give him up. * hangs up the phone*

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Ill say again, its pretty clear that poile worked very hrd to build this exact defense, and I just don't see him breaking it up. He will try to get us some offense. Via free agency, and if that doesn't work then he will try trading picks/prospects to a rebuilding team. If that still doesn't work I would guess he will start the season with what we have and see if Lavi can get more out of the guys we have than Trotz was able to... and if we start the season poorly then a shake up trade would happen.

However, with Lavi as coach and mone to spend, I suspect we get a top 6 forward in free agency

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Ill say again, its pretty clear that poile worked very hrd to build this exact defense, and I just don't see him breaking it up. He will try to get us some offense. Via free agency, and if that doesn't work then he will try trading picks/prospects to a rebuilding team. If that still doesn't work I would guess he will start the season with what we have and see if Lavi can get more out of the guys we have than Trotz was able to... and if we start the season poorly then a shake up trade would happen.

However, with Lavi as coach and mone to spend, I suspect we get a top 6 forward in free agency

Definitely. Poile built from the net out and I think the core going forward is set. It's clear we're going to be working on forwards now and hopefully we won't have to implode this potentially great defense for it.

Paranoid Android

mug mug mug
Sep 17, 2006
The only thing set in stone on defense is a top pairing of Josi-Weber. If an opportunity presents itself to fix the gaping black hole on forward by trading any dman outside of the top pairing, you do it. It's a hell of a lot easier to replace a 2nd or 3rd pairing dman. Jones should be available for trade if the price is right.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
The only thing set in stone on defense is a top pairing of Josi-Weber. If an opportunity presents itself to fix the gaping black hole on forward by trading any dman outside of the top pairing, you do it. It's a hell of a lot easier to replace a 2nd or 3rd pairing dman. Jones should be available for trade if the price is right.

Disagree. Jones is insurance against a Josi career ending concussion and/or a decline in Webers skills when he gets older.
Jones is a future #1 Defenseman, and should no more be traded than Weber or Suter back when Kimmo-Zids was our top pair

MrJoshua

Mar 24, 2010
Decatur, AL
I see Jones as the heir apparent to Weber. But anyone is available for the right price. The only way I would move Jones, though, is if a young game-breaking forward was available. Someone who has franchise potential to match Jones.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN

I agree.
Poile did say he'd keep this defense for 10 years if he could.
I hope we can address the offense via ufa, etc. rather than break it up.

We'll see I guess.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
If we end up turning ourselves around offensively/find out that we DO have guys that can score, this is a non-issue. I personally think it's an absurd long-term proposition to get Jones out of town this quickly. As has been mentioned, Josi-Weber is absolutely not set in stone. Nothing regarding Josi is set in stone. Four concussions at age 23 will do that to a guy and you don't sell away your insurance when your insurance is a top prospect who already has a season of NHL experience under his belt as a teenager. I agree that when Weber's career starts to go a bit downhill towards the end of it, Jones will be in his prime, and he'll be a player that every single team wishes they had.

But I digress, I think this is all premature because if our offensive woes aren't as glaring as we've been used to thinking, none of us will be pressing for this trade to happen

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
I see Jones as the heir apparent to Weber. But anyone is available for the right price. The only way I would move Jones, though, is if a young game-breaking forward was available. Someone who has franchise potential to match Jones.

Not saying Montreal would offer it but one fan thought it was a good trade.

Gulchenyuk and Eller for Jones.

To me this would be a no brainer and I would personally think about it if it were only one of those two coming back.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Disagree. Jones is insurance against a Josi career ending concussion and/or a decline in Webers skills when he gets older.
Jones is a future #1 Defenseman, and should no more be traded than Weber or Suter back when Kimmo-Zids was our top pair

I agree with you. I think a lot of people here are used to being spoiled with our defensemen, but Jones looked very much like the best young defensman prospect in a long time for the 1st half of the year and he's only 19. We caught a big break with him dropping, and I wouldn't give him up for anything les than a Mackinnon type forward. Not a Bradyn Schenn and not a Pavelski, probably not even a Couture for me.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I agree with you. I think a lot of people here are used to being spoiled with our defensemen, but Jones looked very much like the best young defensman prospect in a long time for the 1st half of the year and he's only 19. We caught a big break with him dropping, and I wouldn't give him up for anything les than a Mackinnon type forward. Not a Bradyn Schenn and not a Pavelski, probably not even a Couture for me.

Agree with this

dougie1107

Jul 6, 2012
Memphis

Yeah, I still think Ellis fits into the #3 spot better than Jones does long term.

And to the people that are saying he is Weber's long-term replacement: we can't be sure Jones wouldn't want to leave NSH before then. He will have gone through at least two or three contracts before Weber's is up, and will he be patient waiting behind Weber? Or will he want to leave and make an immediate impact on someone else's top pairing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad