So how about trading Seth .....

ILikeItILoveIt

Apr 2, 2010
What??!!? Trade the future franchise D-man? Isn't he untouchable?

Why should he be?

We have too many good d-men and not enough good forwards. So we should trade a strength to get a strength.

Why Seth?

Because he'd bring back the best bounty of talent for the least amount of "results-sacrificed" short-to-medium term.

Lets face it, Seth was our 5th best D-man this year. He had his moments but he was -23 and made a ton of mistakes. He'll clean that up in time and probably become a very good player.

His valuation right now is as a future player. His upside is huge. On our current team, he's redundant. We can play Webs-Josi-Ellis-MDZ at the points on the PP. Mathias and Bartley are as good if not better than Seth right now. Yes, Seth will pass them in the future, but for next year, not having Seth Jones (vintage 2013) doesn't hurt us.

We could get an elite forward for Jones. That elite forward would instantly be our best player. Now we'd have an elite goalie, elite D-man, AND an elite forward.

The Wild are still playing because they have Parise. Yes Suter is elite, but you can't win in this league without an elite forward.

As long as our acquired forward was young enough, and the valuation of the trade was fair, then we couldn't lose. If last year's draft didn't get bleeped up, we'd have Barkov right now instead of Seth.

Hypothetically, would you trade Seth for Barkov even up right now? I would, and maybe Florida would too. Who knows. Everybody is looking to shuffle their cards when they're not winning to change the dynamic.

I'm not trading him because he's a disappointment. He's the best trade-bait because his market value exceeds his current value. Josi is the exact opposite. His current value to the Preds exceeds his market value on the street. Take Josi off of next year's team, and you have a big time hole that you can only hope Jones could fill.

So, lets light up the NHL trade market and trade Jones to fire up our "O".

Who's with me??????

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Fla can just take Ekblad and be fine keeping Bark.

I'm good with moving him, but for who?

EDIT: Go see what his value is on the trade board. I'd be interested to see. I'd want a 1-1 deal though.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think of our valuable defensemen, he's the easiest to move.

I'm not for moving Weber or Josi.

Ekholm (I think he's going to be really good) has little value

Ellis might have a little value but not enough to start over.

So that would leave Jones. He could land us a really good player.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
This is a tough one. If I had to choose which one to trade, I'd go with Josi. Two reasons:

1) At the draft last year, when we picked Jones, TSN said that Poile's phone was ringing off the hook with offers for Josi. It appears his value is very high with other GM's.

2) Those concussions. He's up to what now...4? 5? While he's an amazing top-pairing D, that's a bit of a risk.

Cashville

RIP Lindback
Apr 12, 2011
Denver
Would not trade Jones (or any of our defensive triumvirate). I agree with AtlantaWhaler though; if we had to trade one, I think it's Josi for reasons beyond just player skill / potential.

You will never get equivalent value for Weber; you just won't. It's been said by many smart pundits, but trading a superstar rarely yields equivalent value (see 1 below). The pool of suitors is also smaller; only a handful of teams have the pieces / cap space / etc. to actually make a legitimate deal here.

Josi is in a sweetspot where he is excellent and on a good contract, but is not really in the superstar realm. The pool of suitors is basically every team in the NHL. Josi at this point is a proven quantity vs. potential imo as well.

Jones' trade is based on potential; potential is great, but rarely nets the same yield as proven outside of hysteria-ridden situations like Lindros.

In short, in a relative sense, I think you get more for Josi than Weber or Jones.

(1) Quote re: Weber from Cooper's article in the Tennessean:
http://www.tennessean.com/story/spo...e-predators-shea-weber-norris-trophy/8434643/

And rarely does a team get equal value when it trades a superstar. The Oilers, for instance, dealt away their 1980s team that won five Stanley Cups. None of those moves kept the Oilers competitive.

"I understand that trading Weber might net the Predators a quality return featuring multiple players, prospects and picks, but what are the odds that any of them turn into the type of player Weber already is?" NHL.com's Dan Rosen said. "He's one of, if not the best, defenseman in the NHL. He's the player you build around; he's not the player you trade to rebuild."

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Looking around the NHL, I don't see a whole of of teams willing to give up what we would consider an acceptable offer for Jones.

He's still virtually a prospect, so a contending team isn't going to hand over an elite forward for him. And he's a great building block, so a team that's rebuilding would love to have him, but likely doesn't have the ammo to get him (which is why they're rebuilding in the first place).

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
This is a tough one. If I had to choose which one to trade, I'd go with Josi. Two reasons:

1) At the draft last year, when we picked Jones, TSN said that Poile's phone was ringing off the hook with offers for Josi. It appears his value is very high with other GM's.

2) Those concussions. He's up to what now...4? 5? While he's an amazing top-pairing D, that's a bit of a risk.

I'll add however (I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer to the OP's question) that I wouldn't trade any of the 3 elite D. I want us to throw a ton at Callahan and/or Stasney and hope Hook is the hype. Also concentrate on moving up at least 5 spots in the draft.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I don't want to trade him either, I was just saying we did move a defenseman, he'd be the one I'd move.

I'm of the opinion we have 5 of our future top 6 and might have the most stable defensive group in the NHL, and likely the most talented.

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
I think of our valuable defensemen, he's the easiest to move.

I'm not for moving Weber or Josi.

Ekholm (I think he's going to be really good) has little value

Ellis might have a little value but not enough to start over.

So that would leave Jones. He could land us a really good player.

Yep, definitely agree.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Defensemen I would trade first in order. (Based on talent and possible return):

Anyone in the system including Dialby
MDZ
and then Jones

If the Preds trade Jones then they are screaming the future is now.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Weber, Josi, Jones, Ekholm and Ellis.

We just need that big smooth skating defenseman to play with Ellis and we're set for the next 5 years.

Ohhhh, when you said top-6, I thought you meant offense. I agree with your D.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
My dream would be

Josi-Weber
Ekholm-Jones
One of the 8 trillion LHD in the system most likely Dialby-Ellis.

But if Jones can get someone who can improve the team greatly....

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Weber, Josi, Jones, Ekholm and Ellis.

We just need that big smooth skating defenseman to play with Ellis and we're set for the next 5 years.
That would get us 1/3 of the way there.

There are no good solutions in trading scenarios because we have so few assets.

Josi is the most risky asset. When you only have a few assets, and your most risky asset is at its peak value, many would trade that asset.

Predarat

Aug 16, 2005
With Trotz gone, maybe the pRaduGol son returns from Russia. Then trade Seth for and elite forward. There ya have it!

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
With Trotz gone, maybe the pRaduGol son returns from Russia. Then trade Seth for and elite forward. There ya have it!

If he ever did, I have little reason to suspect it would be with the Preds.

As to the main post, if we chose to trade one of the three, I would probably prefer it be Jones. My only concern with Josi, on any level, is the concussions, but he has just shown consistent improvement and seems to be the real deal. I doubt less and less that he has the ability to be Suter 2.0 for us. Jones obviously has a ton of talent, and had a decent first season, but the development for those high-drafted defensemen seems to be so hit-and-miss. You've got elites like Doughty and Pietrangelo to those who still really haven't blossomed into the player it was thought they would be like Myers, Bogosian, Schenn, Jack Johnson, and Eric Johnson, all the way down to the Cam Barkers. If a legit deal for an offensive centerpiece came up, and we want to win now rather than later, I'd have to consider it.

Last edited:

Persona5

Apr 22, 2013
Nashville
Best offer posted so far that I have seen and there have been some good ones.

Galchenyuk + Eller for Jones.

Both young forwards that fill different kind of roles and both can score. I would love that trade but do not see a chance of it happeniong.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
The only way I'm trading Jones is if a young player like Mackinnon is available, I would never trade him for someone like a B. Schenn or whatever people were offering in that thread.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
The only one of the 3 i would move is Josi.

I think he would bring a very good forward in return.
If we trade Jones i think we all would regret it deeply. He was a legit number #1 pick who fell without any real reason outside of maybe Mac.
He is going to be really really good and big force (Weber like) in the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad