So Braden Holtby is a back up now?

Three On Zero

HF Customer Service Representative
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
If he can't even at least keep up with Demko then no way Seattle takes him when he's owed $5.7M salary next season. Maybe there was the intention of a plan somewhere in there but at this point it's yet another entirely predictable bad UFA contract.
We needed a goalie to expose, it’s actually a fine UFA signing.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
...now? What do you mean now? He was a backup last year too
was a backup in the year they lost the cup and only got the net back due to injury

it’s been an obvious downward trend for years

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
yeah let’s sign a shit goalie to a bloated negative value deal that hampered us from signing the middle six forward(s) and/or defender(s) to meet the requirements a guy at league min could have provided for better performance
The Holtby signing didn’t hamper us from resigning anyone. It’s the dumb contracts given out prior to this year that did

Reactions: FOurteenS inCisOr

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
The Holtby signing didn’t hamper us from resigning anyone. It’s the dumb contracts given out prior to this year that did
They all do.

Holtby vs the league minimum alternative is like $3.5MM.

There were a ton of fantastic guys we could have gotten in the UFA market at that tag. Unfortunate.

Reactions: bh53

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
Looking through my own post history, here's a list of guys I'd suggested (on top of saying that Toffoli, Leivo, Stecher were mistakes to lose at the costs we lost them for)

John Merrill, Jesper Fast, Alex Wennberg, Craig Smith, offersheeting Cirelli.

Just a bunch of value guys - and those are the guys I proposed without taking into account the rest of excellent value gambles to be had.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
The Holtby signing essentially allowed us to keep Demko away from Seattle and have a solid backup. I have no problem with it.

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Looking through my own post history, here's a list of guys I'd suggested (on top of saying that Toffoli, Leivo, Stecher were mistakes to lose at the costs we lost them for)

John Merrill, Jesper Fast, Alex Wennberg, Craig Smith, offersheeting Cirelli.

Just a bunch of value guys - and those are the guys I proposed without taking into account the rest of excellent value gambles to be had.
Neat, but none of those are goalies

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I actually thought he was decent to start the year.

The stats won't show it - b/c the Canucks weren't able to play any kind of defense - but he looked dialed in at times and made a bunch of saves he probably shouldn't have. He was better than Demko initially I'd say.

Recently Holtby's been up & down - (played his best game against CGY, then cost us the game against WPG) - as Demko has gotten better.

I still think Holtby's capable of playing well & helping a team, but right now its Demko's net. (Though in fairness that was always the goal)

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
True man it's a lot easier to just post well thought out content like Holtby wasn't a bad signing
He wasn’t. He was signed for a purpose and he’s being used for that purpose

Three On Zero

Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
I actually thought he was decent to start the year.

The stats won't show it - b/c the Canucks weren't able to play any kind of defense - but he looked dialed in at times and made a bunch of saves he probably shouldn't have. He was better than Demko initially I'd say.

Recently Holtby's been up & down - (played his best game against CGY, then cost us the game against WPG) - as Demko has gotten better.

I still think Holtby's capable of playing well & helping a team, but right now its Demko's net. (Though in fairness that was always the goal)
Overall he’s been fine, he has gotten no support from the team in front of him.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
He wasn’t. He was signed for a purpose and he’s being used for that purpose
If this is your logic, you can defend anything.

Just because someone fills a purpose (poorly I might add) doesn't mean he made sense relative to the next best option.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Holtby's been pretty terrible recently. He's flopping around like Tim Thomas but without the puck tracking or athleticism. If he doesn't improve he shouldn't even be a backup.

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
They all do.

Holtby vs the league minimum alternative is like $3.5MM.

There were a ton of fantastic guys we could have gotten in the UFA market at that tag. Unfortunate.
Demko wasn't (and still isn't) a goalie you can run into the ground - the Canucks needed a competent 1B to take pressure off him. Holtby was kind of in the range with other 1B options. Goalies were actually at a premium this offseason despite covid.

Obviously, there was hope that he could have a resurgence under Ian Clark and that didn't work.

Peen

Oct 6, 2013
And the next best option was?
Confirmed with Link: - Canucks sign G Braden Holtby to 2-Year Deal ($4.3M AAV)

Numerous goalies discussed in this thread. It's really not hard to read - I think you should try it instead of posting more about Holtby not being a mistake.

Trade candidates & UFA's mentioned in this thread.

I don't really feel the need to spell things out for a guy who's defending spending $4.3MM for bottom five league goaltending who can easily go read a thread himself. Asking for sources when you're trying to act as if a shit goalie as seen below or by eye test is good is a little bit funny. There's lots of content available for you.

NHL Stats

Holtby ranks T-5th last in the league in normal counting stats among the 39 goalies with 10 or more games played.

Player Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Holtby ranks 3rd last in GSAA/60 among 39 goalies at 5 on 5.

Good night man. Hopefully these statistics or rewatching Holtby's performances will change your mind.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad