So Braden Holtby is a back up now?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Cup winner and Vezina trophy winner in 2018 (some still say he could have won the Conn Smythe too) and now 2 years later he's a backup? Mind you a 5M dollar backup. I find that hard to believe. He deserves to be a starter and at worst a 1A/1B goalie if in a competition situation like he is in Vancouver. The more he plays, the better he gets.

I think the Avs should make an offer at him for their playoff run this year. He would be a solid upgrade to Grubauer.

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
Cup winner and Vezina trophy winner in 2018 and now 2 years later he's a backup? I find that hard to believe. He deserves to be a starter and at worst a 1A/1B goalie if in a competition situation like he is in Vancouver. The more he plays, the better he gets.

I think the Avs should make an offer at him for their playoff run this year. He would be a solid upgrade to Grubauer.

Grubauer is doing extremely well this season, I don't think I'd go as far as saying solid upgrade, or even an upgrade at all. That being said the Avs backup Francouz is practically dead at this point before even playing a game this season and the backup position needs to be addressed. So yes I think Holtby would help the Avs tremendously right now, but as a backup.

jcs0218

Apr 20, 2018
Cup winner and Vezina trophy winner in 2018 (some still say he could have won the Conn Smythe too) and now 2 years later he's a backup? Mind you a 5M dollar backup. I find that hard to believe. He deserves to be a starter and at worst a 1A/1B goalie if in a competition situation like he is in Vancouver. The more he plays, the better he gets.

He won the Vezina in 2016, not 2018.

He has been on a slow downward trend ever since 2016.

He did win a Cup in 2018. But he also lost his starter's job for short stretches a couple of times since 2016.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Grubauer is doing extremely well this season, I don't think I'd go as far as saying solid upgrade, or even an upgrade at all. That being said the Avs backup Francouz is practically dead at this point before even playing a game this season and the backup position needs to be addressed. So yes I think Holtby would help the Avs tremendously right now, but as a backup.

After last years playoffs catastrophe with Franoucs, Sakic would be nuts if he didn't make a move for an upgrade in the backup position. The Avs playoff hopes went right down the drain once Grubauer went down.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
After last years playoffs catastrophe with Franoucs, Sakic would be nuts if he didn't make a move for an upgrade in the backup position.

Honestly can't tell if you're trolling or what, but Francouz was playing injured in the playoffs and he had a better regular season than Grubauer. He finished last year with 21 wins, 9 losses, a 2.40 GAA and a .923 save percentage. Francouz has won in every level of play he's been in and when healthy could be a starter on ~20 teams in the NHL. Michael Hutchinson ended up playing 4 games (starting 3) for the Avs last postseason, maybe you mistook him for Francouz.

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Holtby was insulation for Demko and the Canucks. Demko's great play in last year's playoffs was a small sample size and the Canucks wanted a capable goalie (that they would be able to expose to Seattle) to allow Demko to have about 60% of the starts but also becomes the Canucks want to be competitive and there was going to be a lot of back to back. I don't think Holtby gets traded unless he asks for one.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010

Well playing with Gruby did bring out the best with Holtby.

But it's sad to see how far Holtby has fallen. It's been in the making for years now.. Will go down as the best goalie in Caps history when he retires. Just above Olie the Goalie.

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Did he win a cup and just stop caring? Was he hurt? What happened to the guy.

heretik27

Apr 18, 2013
Winnipeg
Demko's been really solid in the games against Winnipeg. I'm not surprised he's taking the reigns from a goalie on the decline.

Reactions: bh53

Confused Turnip

Nov 29, 2019
Did he win a cup and just stop caring? Was he hurt? What happened to the guy.
Holtby's all world level seasons all came under Mitch Korn. For whatever reason no other goalie coach has ever coaxed the same level of performance from him, before or after.

Although it's sad to see what has become of him. Really love the guy and hope he can figure it out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad