Snyder reaches agreement to sell Washington Commanders for $6 billion to group led by Josh Harris

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

Current lease through 2027.
To rebuild rfk site would take around 3 years from today until 2026 with demo, cleanup and construction. But need some time to get the plans approved, so they seem right in line for the end of the FedEx field lease. 2027 meaning through to Jan when PO are going or 2027 regular season?

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hope the new regime comes up with a better replacement name.
If they're going to change the name (which I hope they don't, because I enjoy calling them filthy Commies) they could do worse than honoring the team's heritage in a meaningful way without referencing the previous name: the Washington Hogs.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Concerns

A source told the Post that questions were raised during the meeting about the "unusually large number of limited partners" involved in Harris' tentative bid to purchase the franchise from Dan Snyder. Per NFL rules, no ownership group is allowed to exceed 25 partners. It's unclear if Harris' group approaches or exceeds that number.

The Post cited three sources familiar with the NFL's inner workings that told the paper that the committee's reservations don't mean that the deal will be rejected; but that it is "increasingly unlikely" that franchise owners will be able to approve the deal at their their May 22-23 meeting in Minneapolis as previously hoped. The next scheduled owners meetings are slated for October. The league could presumably call a special meeting in the meantime if needed to approve a sale.

Reactions: Kirk Van Houten

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

There are "holes" in bid. While NFL limits number of limited partnerships (max 25), this bid has 17, some of which are families. One partnership from Columbia.

Will NFL accept with issues to remove Synder? Will that set a precedent?

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
I am all for a name change but c'mon...Washington Football Team and following up with Commanders? It's like Snyder giving the double middle finger to the NFL before leaving.

I will never understand why teams use or still allowed to use the city of another state in which they play in like the Giants/Jets saying they are from New York when they haven't played in New York state for almost 40 years or 50 in the case of the Giants. Almost like they are ashamed of being associated with New Jersey. They technically relocated out of state.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

That’s 12 limited partners joining Harris for those counting at home. There could be more who were not listed or added subsequently.

NFL bylaws permit up to 24 limited partners (25 total partners) while requiring that a general partner own at least 30% equity interest. The general partner is granted full voting control, no others eligible.

So while 12 or so limited partners would not in itself violate league rules, financing approval and allocation becomes increasingly complicated with each additional party involved.

Team owners are strict on the deal structure to combat the financial risk if an unstable ownership group were to default.

Getting financing in order to comply with league bylaws

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
I am all for a name change but c'mon...Washington Football Team and following up with Commanders? It's like Snyder giving the double middle finger to the NFL before leaving.

I will never understand why teams use or still allowed to use the city of another state in which they play in like the Giants/Jets saying they are from New York when they haven't played in New York state for almost 40 years or 50 in the case of the Giants. Almost like they are ashamed of being associated with New Jersey. They technically relocated out of state.
MetLife Stadium is closer to Times Square than the stadiums for Dallas, Buffalo, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, Washington, New England, Arizona, and the proposed site for Chicago (and the former site for Detroit) are to their respective downtowns. This old complaint is tiresome.

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
MetLife Stadium is closer to Times Square than the stadiums for Dallas, Buffalo, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Miami, Washington, New England, Arizona, and the proposed site for Chicago (and the former site for Detroit) are to their respective downtowns. This old complaint is tiresome.
Aside from Washington (which is another example), those teams actually do play in that state though. What is the address of MetLife, and was the address of Giants Stadium? Is it New Jersey or New York? Would you be able say you live in New York when your only home is actually in New Jersey?

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
I'd say I live in the suburbs of New York. Because I do. Local North Jersey guy here. And Giants ticket holder.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad