Speculation: Snow cracking the whip and the Chowda

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Best chowder I ever had was at the little hole in the wall (literally) place at the Cold Spring Harbor marina 30+ years ago. I'd imagine that place is long gone though....

MDIsles

New Era
Oct 24, 2011
DE Beaches for now
I disagree.... this team has improved year over year, pretty much every year of the rebuild. Even in this throw away, disaster of a season, we got Nelson and CdH to go along with the breakout of Okposo. Last year it was Cizikas and Martin.... the year before that it was Hamonic and Grabner.

Next year, Reinhart will be making this team (not a stretch, since he already did this year) with Strome likely following.

With

Lee
Pulock
Pelech
Pokka

Still in the system along with whoever we add after trades/draft this year.

This team is doing everything right in the rebuild. Finding gems on the waiver wire, making low key but shrewd trades/signings and replacing older roster players with better, younger players.

Out goes PMB and Regin, in comes Nelson and Strome
Out goes Strait, in comes CdH
Out goes AMac, in comes Reinhart

It's a slow process, but it's working despite what the impatience of many here might say.

Garth? is this you??? Please respond to my emails as a disgruntled ticket holder. I have sent two to you already;) (just kidding you are entitled to your opinion, its a friendly debate):thumbu:

:baghead:

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I was about to yell at you... but then I realized maybe you mean worse as in: I really want brisket right now but im stuck at work talking about it online. I really hope you don't mean that it's inferior or a bad tasting food.....

I was a vegetarian for 16 years, and have been a pescetarian for the last 7. Red meat gives me the willies, particularly fatty red meat that sits in a pot and cooks in coca cola for hours. Strummergas eats plants, fungus, yeasts, cultures, and royal jelly only.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
I was a vegetarian for 16 years, and have been a pescetarian for the last 7. Red meat gives me the willies, particularly fatty red meat that sits in a pot and cooks in coca cola for hours. Strummergas eats plants, fungus, yeasts, cultures, and royal jelly only.

I don't eat this either :laugh:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Thanks Doshell !! I'm gonna be in Boston early April, just wrote those restaurant names down. La Famiglia Giorgio's in the North End is an amazing Italian Restaurant FYI.

If you're visiting just for a couple of days, no need to go to Quincy. B&G Oyster in the South End is another great seafood restaurant. In the North End, my fave Italian joint is Carem: http://www.carmenboston.com/

Couple of others:

Le Espalier http://www.lespalier.com/ Consistently voted #1 restaurant in Boston. French/American. Very pricey certainly but if you’re looking to splurge at a nice place – this is it.

Jacob Wirth http://www.jacobwirth.com/ A very cool and very old German style Beer Hall. Lots of fun.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005
I don't eat this either :laugh:

The first time I saw royal jelly as a health supplement was at the Park Slope food coop. It made me imagine all the coop shoppers as enormous queen bees/ants getting ready to go home and drop 1,000s of tiny eggs and getting ready to feed their newly hatched larvae.

This was before I had kids.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
If you're visiting just for a couple of days, no need to go to Quincy. B&G Oyster in the South End is another great seafood restaurant. In the North End, my fave Italian joint is Carem: http://www.carmenboston.com/

Couple of others:

Le Espalier http://www.lespalier.com/ Consistently voted #1 restaurant in Boston. French/American. Very pricey certainly but if you’re looking to splurge at a nice place – this is it.

Jacob Wirth http://www.jacobwirth.com/ A very cool and very old German style Beer Hall. Lots of fun.

I stick more towards the Cambridge/Brighton/Watertown areas. There is no shortage of seafood in Boston, that's for sure.

When friends come to visit and they want seafood, I take them to Union Oyster House because it has the gimmick of being the oldest restaurant in the U.S. or something and the food is very good. You really can't go wrong with it. I don't think I've been to Neptune Oyster, may have to check it out.

The main problem is that I'm not the biggest fan of NE Clam Chowder, the cream based doesn't mesh well with me. I've always preferred Manhattan and I personally like RI type the most. I'm a big fan of the seafood stews like Bouillabaisse, Catalan Stew, etc.

For Scotty, a good seafood place that doesn't destroy the wallet is Summer Shack. One in Boston and one in Cambridge.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I stick more towards the Cambridge/Brighton/Watertown areas. There is no shortage of seafood in Boston, that's for sure.

When friends come to visit and they want seafood, I take them to Union Oyster House because it has the gimmick of being the oldest restaurant in the U.S. or something and the food is very good. You really can't go wrong with it. I don't think I've been to Neptune Oyster, may have to check it out.

The main problem is that I'm not the biggest fan of NE Clam Chowder, the cream based doesn't mesh well with me. I've always preferred Manhattan and I personally like RI type the most. I'm a big fan of the seafood stews like Bouillabaisse, Catalan Stew, etc.

For Scotty, a good seafood place that doesn't destroy the wallet is Summer Shack. One in Boston and one in Cambridge.

The Union is good. Tourist trap for sure ($$$$$$) but neat. Especially if you get a seat at the cool oyster bar. I would do that any day. Summer shack is OK. But it has a but of a TGIFridays feel.

My favorite restaurant in the entire world is in Cambridge - Oleana. Ever been? Turkish/Greek/Mediterranean cuisine. The way the chef (Ana Soturn) uses and blends spices and flavors is truly remarkable.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Couple of others:

Thanks again Doshell ! We actually went to Jacob Wirth last year, pretty cool place !

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

Major thumbs up! I have been trying to shake factory farmed meat for years.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

For New England Clam Chowder I've always been partial to The Fours near Boston Garden. I know its a sports bar but the chowder there is really good.

http://thefours.com/boston/

LedHammer

Nov 24, 2009
Patchogue, NY
I've been a Snow supporter in the past. When people were killing him over the "rebuild" not moving along fast enough in 2011-12 I felt that was premature. I've always felt Snow has been hamstrung by Wangs cheapness. I too was saying can't judge a rebuild until some of the draft picks from it actually are on the team. However this is year six now and outside of a good 20 game stretch to end last season we've made zero progress standings wise. I believe there's only 5 teams in the whole league right now who are currently more than 4 points out of a playoff spot(BUF, FLA, CGY, EDM, NYI). In a league where you get credit for losing were still out of the race with 1/4 of the season left.

The idea of waiting for the next big prospect to be the game changer is over. These players should be coming up to a team that has a clue and is run properly. They should be coming up to fill roles while their games mature, not be looked at as franchise changers or saviors. Plus, if we wait another 2-3 years for Reinhart, Pulock, Strome, Lee, etc. to mature and become impact players, continuing to finish in the bottom 5 "because its a rebuild" and not signing FAs because we don't want to "block a prospect" then we should be ready to win around the same time JT and Okie's contracts are up and can't wait to get the heck away from this mess.
The time to win is now. We should have taken another step forward this season. And if we sign a FA and he works out but happens to "block" a big prospect, that means we have an abundance of talent, and that is a GOOD thing.

Ive supported Snow for most of his tenure, but I'm about ready to say goodbye now. Forget about Snow cracking the whip on the bad players HE signed, some one needs to crack the whip on Snow.

scott99

May 13, 2005

Thanks PW ! Lots of choices for my Boston trip in April.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
I've been a Snow supporter in the past. When people were killing him over the "rebuild" not moving along fast enough in 2011-12 I felt that was premature. I've always felt Snow has been hamstrung by Wangs cheapness. I too was saying can't judge a rebuild until some of the draft picks from it actually are on the team. However this is year six now and outside of a good 20 game stretch to end last season we've made zero progress standings wise. I believe there's only 5 teams in the whole league right now who are currently more than 4 points out of a playoff spot(BUF, FLA, CGY, EDM, NYI). In a league where you get credit for losing were still out of the race with 1/4 of the season left.

The idea of waiting for the next big prospect to be the game changer is over. These players should be coming up to a team that has a clue and is run properly. They should be coming up to fill roles while their games mature, not be looked at as franchise changers or saviors. Plus, if we wait another 2-3 years for Reinhart, Pulock, Strome, Lee, etc. to mature and become impact players, continuing to finish in the bottom 5 "because its a rebuild" and not signing FAs because we don't want to "block a prospect" then we should be ready to win around the same time JT and Okie's contracts are up and can't wait to get the heck away from this mess.
The time to win is now. We should have taken another step forward this season. And if we sign a FA and he works out but happens to "block" a big prospect, that means we have an abundance of talent, and that is a GOOD thing.

Ive supported Snow for most of his tenure, but I'm about ready to say goodbye now. Forget about Snow cracking the whip on the bad players HE signed, some one needs to crack the whip on Snow.
Exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad