Speculation: Snow cracking the whip and the Chowda

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I disagree.... this team has improved year over year, pretty much every year of the rebuild. Even in this throw away, disaster of a season, we got Nelson and CdH to go along with the breakout of Okposo. Last year it was Cizikas and Martin.... the year before that it was Hamonic and Grabner.

Next year, Reinhart will be making this team (not a stretch, since he already did this year) with Strome likely following.

With

Lee
Pulock
Pelech
Pokka

Still in the system along with whoever we add after trades/draft this year.

This team is doing everything right in the rebuild. Finding gems on the waiver wire, making low key but shrewd trades/signings and replacing older roster players with better, younger players.

Out goes PMB and Regin, in comes Nelson and Strome
Out goes Strait, in comes CdH
Out goes AMac, in comes Reinhart

It's a slow process, but it's working despite what the impatience of many here might say.
Let's stick to the defense. I am not concerned about the forwards as they are more easily had and Nelson, Strome, etc., look like they will start putting pressure on the non performers in the middle two lines..

Top 4 for next year at this rate - Hammer, Vis, Hickey, and CdH.
Strait and Reinhart fill out the bottom pair, and hopefully this shuffles a bit with a good season from Reinhart
Donovan - not sure where his development goes. I think it is safe to call him a long development path.

That much youth and inexperience on the blueline, and I am already calling for deHaan's sophomore slump now that other teams will have some history with him and adjust, and next year will be shaky. If any falter, who picks up the slack? The Pedan, Mayfield, Pelech, Pulock group don't look like they will step right in next year, and that's using the information the regulars in the prospects thread supply. None of them excluding Pulock seem to have that quick step up ready to occur too once they do make it to at least call up status. It is just the nature of defense and typical development times. Give your man Calvin some credit for slotting in so effortlessly, even with the odd mistake, because that is a rare event. I don't even want to assume Reinhart will do as well though size at least won't be an issue for him.

I just have to disagree. With Vis being a yearly concussion at this point, Donovan being a very shaky addition, Hickey being a non-factor physically, and the struggles and now recurring injuries Hamonic has experienced the past two years... I see defense causing us some big concerns in the near future. I would prefer to see another body added if even to support their development.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Let's stick to the defense. I am not concerned about the forwards as they are more easily had and Nelson, Strome, etc., look like they will start putting pressure on the non performers in the middle two lines..

Top 4 for next year at this rate - Hammer, Vis, Hickey, and CdH.
Strait and Reinhart fill out the bottom pair, and hopefully this shuffles a bit with a good season from Reinhart
Donovan - not sure where his development goes. I think it is safe to call him a long development path.

That much youth and inexperience on the blueline, and I am already calling for deHaan's sophomore slump now that other teams will have some history with him and adjust, and next year will be shaky. If any falter, who picks up the slack? The Pedan, Mayfield, Pelech, Pulock group don't look like they will step right in next year, and that's using the information the regulars in the prospects thread supply. None of them excluding Pulock seem to have that quick step up ready to occur too once they do make it to at least call up status. It is just the nature of defense and typical development times. Give your man Calvin some credit for slotting in so effortlessly, even with the odd mistake, because that is a rare event. I don't even want to assume Reinhart will do as well though size at least won't be an issue for him.

I just have to disagree. With Vis being a yearly concussion at this point, Donovan being a very shaky addition, Hickey being a non-factor physically, and the struggles and now recurring injuries Hamonic has experienced the past two years... I see defense causing us some big concerns in the near future. I would prefer to see another body added if even to support their development.

Exactly. Honestly, just look at games played. You know that saying that it takes a defenseman 200 NHL games to really come into his own?

Hickey - 98
Strait - 67
De Haan - 33
Reinhart - 0

That's 66% of our D going into next season? And the one's coming up to relieve them:

Donovan - 36
Ness - 20
Mayfield - 0
Pulock - 0
Pedan - 0
Pelech - 0

Yea, what could go wrong? :laugh:

If this team doesn't add veteran NHL defensemen, expect the same as this year. Peaks and more valleys.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Apparently Snow went downstairs into the Islanders locker room post game...guessing he dropped the hammer and mentioned the possibility of more guys than just Bouchard and Regin getting traded...this loss was embarrassing.

Go Garf!

:handclap:

But cracks me up because Bouchard isn't affecting the roster and Regin is a bit player. Kind of an empty threat if you ask me.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
But cracks me up because Bouchard isn't affecting the roster and Regin is a bit player. Kind of an empty threat if you ask me.

You are absolutely right, should have trade Okposo or Frans to send that message :shakehead

You make a trade like this and let them know this is just the beginning. Vanek and Amac are out the door next and potentially others.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Sounds to me like Snow is starting to lose the team. If this is true+the Vis. situation....Snow's in desperation mode right now.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
We have been in a so called re-build for 5-6 years. Other than JT, Okposo, Hamonic, and De Haan we have pretty much nothing to show for it in the NHL. Cizikas, Martin, and Hickey are nice but they are nothing to go gaga over.

Of course we have prospects on the way, so does every team. Every fan base overrates their own prospects and it's natural to do so. How long are we supposed to wait for even an average team? People claimed the re-build was over when we made the playoffs, is it back again because we suck?

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
We have been in a so called re-build for 5-6 years. Other than JT, Okposo, Hamonic, and De Haan we have pretty much nothing to show for it in the NHL. Cizikas, Martin, and Hickey are nice but they are nothing to go gaga over.

Of course we have prospects on the way, so does every team. Every fan base overrates their own prospects and it's natural to do so. How long are we supposed to wait for even an average team? People claimed the re-build was over when we made the playoffs, is it back again because we suck?

Boils down to the coaching staff. Guys like Bailey, Hamonic, and even Grabner have not progressed at all. As a matter of fact they have all in ways taken steps backwards.

We have guys like AMac being asked to do entirely too much and other guys like Nelson not being rewarded for hustle, hard work and results.

I honestly fear Capps ruining the likes of strome and lee.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
Boils down to the coaching staff. Guys like Bailey, Hamonic, and even Grabner have not progressed at all. As a matter of fact they have all in ways taken steps backwards.

We have guys like AMac being asked to do entirely too much and other guys like Nelson not being rewarded for hustle, hard work and results.

I honestly fear Capps ruining the likes of strome and lee.

I am by no means a Capuano fan but he only has so much to work with. Bailey and Grabner have regressed ( I think Hamonic has maintained) but is that really Capuanos fault. Bailey has been a mediocre inconsistent player since his NHL career started. Grabner had his 1 great season and ever since his groin injury he has not been the same player. Grabner and Bailey should be blamed for not playing well, they got the contract they are on the ice, they deserve the blame.

Amac is forced to be overplayed due to the nature of the roster. Its not Capuanos fault we had to have at least 2 of Carkner/Martinek/Ness/Donovan in the lineup for 20-30 games. It forces a coaches hand to overplay the better players.

I honestly think Nelson has been brought up and handled nearly perfectly from Snow all the way down to Capuano.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Apparently Snow went downstairs into the Islanders locker room post game...guessing he dropped the hammer and mentioned the possibility of more guys than just Bouchard and Regin getting traded...this loss was embarrassing.

Go Garf!

In this case most of the players are probably hoping for a new start somewhere else.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
Rebuild does not mean wait and hope that every prospect you draft pans out. If we had 2 quality Dmen here, it wouldn't prohibit a guy like Reinhart from making the team when he's ready. it would prevent Thomas Hickey or Brian Strait from seeing the ice.
And we still wouldn't have made the playoffs. If you think Strait and Hickey are the problems with this team then you don't know much about hockey. It was obvious to everyone but Snow after last years playoffs that goaltending was a big issue. I like Nabokov as a backup but he's not a #1 goaltender anymore. It just amazes me that a former goalie, Snow, can not recognize goalie talent or lack of.

Last edited:

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
This rebuild has been going on almost as long as you (and I for that matter) have been registered on HFBoards. We're a couple years past the point where "it's a rebuild" can be used to justify the nearly-endless string of losing seasons.

Exactly. Thank you. Snow sucks and so does the rebuild. :shakehead

IslesFanatic

Thank you, Lou!
Jun 7, 2006
I disagree.... this team has improved year over year, pretty much every year of the rebuild. Even in this throw away, disaster of a season, we got Nelson and CdH to go along with the breakout of Okposo. Last year it was Cizikas and Martin.... the year before that it was Hamonic and Grabner.

Next year, Reinhart will be making this team (not a stretch, since he already did this year) with Strome likely following.

With

Lee
Pulock
Pelech
Pokka

Still in the system along with whoever we add after trades/draft this year.

This team is doing everything right in the rebuild. Finding gems on the waiver wire, making low key but shrewd trades/signings and replacing older roster players with better, younger players.

Out goes PMB and Regin, in comes Nelson and Strome
Out goes Strait, in comes CdH
Out goes AMac, in comes Reinhart

It's a slow process, but it's working despite what the impatience of many here might say.

Impatience? I have been waiting 20 years for a playoff round win. Impatience? Please stop with that. Unreal. The guys he has drafted is all fine and dandy. WHEN is he going to add REAL pieces to help. When? And the rebuild went off track this year yet again by the signings of Regin and PMB to "help". I know Wang has A LOT to do with this, but as a team on a tight budget, we signed Josh Bailey to a 5 year 16.5 million dollar contract. That's a brutal contract for someone who isn't anything more than a 3rd liner at this point. If that. :shakehead

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Sounds to me like Snow is starting to lose the team. If this is true+the Vis. situation....Snow's in desperation mode right now.

Yes, it reeks of it.

This sort of thing doesn't end well. The team could quit on him and the coaches completely. Not good for a team grooming and relying on youth.

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006

Agree 100%.

I have this vision of Snow going in there all hot and bothered flipping a table over and saying he's had it and moves will be made. Then telling the team that Regin and Bouchard we're dealt and you could be next! I can just imagine the chuckles and snickers in the room from the rest of the team.

Ooooo you traded a guy you signed and sent down and a guy who was scratched more than not.....oooooo we're scared!

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Agree 100%.

I have this vision of Snow going in there all hot and bothered flipping a table over and saying he's had it and moves will be made. Then telling the team that Regin and Bouchard we're dealt and you could be next! I can just imagine the chuckles and snickers in the room from the rest of the team.

Ooooo you traded a guy you signed and sent down and a guy who was scratched more than not.....oooooo we're scared!

I could see players saying "please trade me next! I'd love to go to contender/any other team at the deadline!" lol

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

Go Garf!

I would actually pay to go all Being John Malkovich in your brain for a few minutes. Your world must be full of rainbows, clouds with sterling silver linings, and gold tureens full of savory chowder.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I would actually pay to go all Being John Malkovich in your brain for a few minutes. Your world must be full of rainbows, clouds with sterling silver linings, and gold tureens full of savory chowder.

Manhattan or New England? Or Rhode Island?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad