Post-Game Talk: Snow Bros vs. DC Bros. 7pm. Verizon Center. 10.18.2016 (The Bro Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Man.. I was impressed by Orlovs play last night. His game has elevated drastically since last season.

He did have a horrid gaffe turnover with nobody behind him in his own zone. He managed to clean it up catching the guy from behind. Two games in a row for such a thing. His positive impact is certainly improved.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Man.. I was impressed by Orlovs play last night. His game has elevated drastically since last season.

Being given a big role for Russia at the WCH and facing the toughest competition in the world helped him reach another level. I believe this is what made Trotz realise that Orlov had to be given a big role in order to progress further, which is why he is part of the top 4.

Orlov and Schmidt were equally terrible at the end of last year. Now, Schmidt looks better than he did before but Orlov left him behind in terms of progression.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Heh indeed Barry likely learned something about Orlov at the WCH.

Whoever I have been arguing with for years that a LD cannot play on our PP, I hope you have noticed Orlov feeding Ovi of late. I think a left shot up top may have a better angle to get the puck around the inevitable cheating PKer.

Did Russia run our same PP with Orlov up top?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Heh indeed Barry likely learned something about Orlov at the WCH.

Whoever I have been arguing with for years that a LD cannot play on our PP, I hope you have noticed Orlov feeding Ovi of late. I think a left shot up top may have a better angle to get the puck around the inevitable cheating PKer.

Did Russia run our same PP with Orlov up top?

They were running the same PP as us, and the US also ran the Caps' PP.
Russia played quite a few different players at the point. I've seen Orlov, Zaitsev, Panarin and Markov play the point on Russia's PP, depending on who was available. Ovechkin only played 1 min per PP.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Thanks EFK. I presume having a birds eye view of how Orlov was used has influenced him being on the PP for us today. He did get a sniff late in power plays, late in the spring, but it was very limited. I am thrilled to see him being used more to his strengths so early in the year.

Schmidt too, suddenly now used more with his great skating. We cannot have kids on our bottom pair very limited in how they are used, yet expect them to developing fully. Come playoff time, the poor development path we had given them, came to light.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Schmidt too, suddenly now used more with his great skating. We cannot have kids on our bottom pair very limited in how they are used, yet expect them to developing fully. Come playoff time, the poor development path we had given them, came to light.

Schmidt is playing with Orpik now. As opposed to Orlov and Carlson last season. His role as a result is completely different.

I did not realize that he is the fastest skater on the team, though.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Schmidt is playing with Orpik now. As opposed to Orlov and Carlson last season. His role as a result is completely different.

I did not realize that he is the fastest skater on the team, though.

In a straight line, Schmidt is the fastest on the team. When you add in lateral movement, it's Ovi, Kuzy and Mojo in that order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad