TV: SNL Season 48

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's toned down without profanity but still tolerable

He's the best when he's allowed to curse freely. "f***IN LAYDEE"

My issue with Bill Burr is that so much of it is in the delivery.

It's a bit like Lewis Black. I get that he's an entertainer, and it's entertaining, but I also feel like the joke should stand on its own to some extent. It's almost like cheating to get all worked up about something in order to get laughs.

Louis CK (still controversial I know) seemed to balance between joke-crafting and emotional outburst more effectively IMO.

Reactions: Amerika

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I thought Burr was one of the better monologues in recent years. It's a shame he's kinda in-between material right now, that was more of a comedy store set than something he'd put on a special, but he's not the type to bring out old material just because it's on TV

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

It's a bit like Lewis Black. I get that he's an entertainer, and it's entertaining, but I also feel like the joke should stand on its own to some extent. It's almost like cheating to get all worked up about something in order to get laughs.

Louis CK (still controversial I know) seemed to balance between joke-crafting and emotional outburst more effectively IMO.

I have to say that Burr makes me laugh really hard. He’s great on talk shows. He’s like Louis in the sense that he talks about things people are too uncomfortable to talk about, but he makes it funny.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

Angry old man works for me. I don't find Lewis black funny.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Burr monologue was decent. Some of it was good, and then some of it, like the "Pride? I'm just finding out about this!" was way too contrived for my liking.

SNL off to a disappointing start IMO. I guess you can't blame them, but some of the quarantine content had me hopeful there was still some creative juices left with the current cast/staff. Hopefully they can find more of a rhythm now that everyone's together.

I'm not a huge fan of the 10+ min cold open and then like a 7-8 minute monologue on top of that. Really eats into the sketch time. Unless that's by design.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
-Cecily Strong was not in the show at all, and I don’t care for that

I wouldn't expect her to have a large presence this season unfortunately. She didn't do much during the quarantine-live days due to depression/anxiety (I Don’t Know How to Tell This Story), and while she's doing better , I don't think she's as "into it" as one would normally be.

Plus she's got project on AppleTV+ coming up with a lot of talent on board: Cecily Strong’s New Musical-Comedy Series Has a Stacked Cast

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I wouldn't expect her to have a large presence this season unfortunately. She didn't do much during the quarantine-live days due to depression/anxiety (I Don’t Know How to Tell This Story), and while she's doing better , I don't think she's as "into it" as one would normally be.

Plus she's got project on AppleTV+ coming up with a lot of talent on board: Cecily Strong’s New Musical-Comedy Series Has a Stacked Cast

She wasn’t in the first episode much if at all either. Hope she’s ok.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
If the whole cast is coming back we better get Stefon. I need to know about New York's hottest club!

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If the whole cast is coming back we better get Stefon. I need to know about New York's hottest club!

Hader isn’t in the cast anymore.

Speaking of the cast, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a number of people leave after this season. Kate and Cecily have been there for a while now, Keenan has been there even longer. I could see big changes after this season.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Hader isn’t in the cast anymore.

Speaking of the cast, I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a number of people leave after this season. Kate and Cecily have been there for a while now, Keenan has been there even longer. I could see big changes after this season.
Ah too bad. Shows how much I watch SNL these days.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

Kate will almost assuredly be gone, I'm pretty sure if covid hadn't hit she likely would've left at the end of last season. Cecily I would assume too. Keenan will likely hang around, I don't think there's been any indication he wants to leave (quite the opposite actually), and thank goodness for that.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
This explains it perfectly.

Does it? Sheesh, the closest thing to a salient argument I found in that whole thing was at the very end when the guy says, and I'm paraphrasing here "People who are funny stand-up comics aren't doing as well on a sketch show that is primarily character-driven," to which I'm like.....uh, yeah? Are we supposed to believe that Pete Davidson, Chris Redd et al have these brilliant sketch characters they're sitting on that Lorne is forbidding them to do or something?

Why SNL "sucks" or whatever is a massive can of worms that we'd probably all not prefer opening (isn't it opened on an annual basis anyways), but it's not a surprise that someone who, by their own admittance doesn't watch the show, did not provide anything in the way of useful insight into it.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Does it? Sheesh, the closest thing to a salient argument I found in that whole thing was at the very end when the guy says, and I'm paraphrasing here "People who are funny stand-up comics aren't doing as well on a sketch show that is primarily character-driven," to which I'm like.....uh, yeah? Are we supposed to believe that Pete Davidson, Chris Redd et al have these brilliant sketch characters they're sitting on that Lorne is forbidding them to do or something?

Why SNL "sucks" or whatever is a massive can of worms that we'd probably all not prefer opening (isn't it opened on an annual basis anyways), but it's not a surprise that someone who, by their own admittance doesn't watch the show, did not provide anything in the way of useful insight into it.
They are basically talking about everyone at SNL are funnier than they are allowed to be. Whether it be Lorne Michaels, NBC, or the FCC something has to change. The comedy people have access to is far superior to anything on SNL. I find all of those arguments valid.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
If SNL was more like SCTV it would likely be better. You’d have more time to write and you can shoot and edit your piece the way you want it. The show really doesn’t need to be live.

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
They are basically talking about everyone at SNL are funnier than they are allowed to be.

Right, and I'm saying that's completely bunk. The cast members they reference by name (Jost, Che, Davidson, Redd), they say "go watch their stuff, they're hilarious." Their stuff is their stand-up act. SNL as we know is the opposite of stand-up. Again, if you're trying to convince me Pete Davidson had some killer sketch characters (or even Update characters) that he's sitting on but isn't allowed to do, I'm not buying it. If anything, he's been given an extremely easy go of it, as the majority of his contributions to the show is just him doing his act on Update.

The FCC? People have been funny for decades on SNL while working within the constraints of what's allowed on network television.

Again, it ultimately comes down to the writing and the cast (as most cast members also write their own recurring characters). NOW, if you're going to say, "well then why hire these people who aren't really known for sketch acting or writing non-R rated material?" Then yes, I'd say you're onto something, and a critique of the casting (which definitely points a big finger at Lorne) is a more than valid argument. But saying the cast is sitting on killer SNL-ready material they're not allowed to do? That doesn't hold any water.

Reactions: zombie kopitar

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
As Schultz said maybe the show as passed Lorne Michaels by. If he is evaluating the talent for the show maybe he doesn't know what's funny today. The Chappelle Show and The Key & Peele show were extremely original. SNL seems to be stuck in using an outdated approach in what is funny. Sketch artists don't always make the best comedians and vice versa.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
As Schultz said maybe the show as passed Lorne Michaels by. If he is evaluating the talent for the show maybe he doesn't know what's funny today. The Chappelle Show and The Key & Peele show were extremely original. SNL seems to be stuck in using an outdated approach in what is funny. Sketch artists don't always make the best comedians and vice versa.

Some comedians do sketch very well though. Dana Carvey being a perfect example of that. Of course SNL finds talent from second city in Chicago (Farley, Meadows, Myers), the Groundlings in LA (Hartman, Lovitz, Ferrell, Wiig) UCB (Poehler) etc.

I think a lot of performers who come from a sketch or improv background are very good before they get to SNL and have lots of live performing experience and are used to playing characters. Stand ups have live performing experience too, but it’s being themself on stage telling jokes. Does that translate well to sketch comedy? Not always.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Some comedians do sketch very well though. Dana Carvey being a perfect example of that. Of course SNL finds talent from second city in Chicago (Farley, Meadows, Myers), the Groundlings in LA (Hartman, Lovitz, Ferrell, Wiig) UCB (Poehler) etc.

I think a lot of performers who come from a sketch or improv background are very good before they get to SNL and have lots of live performing experience and are used to playing characters. Stand ups have live performing experience too, but it’s being themself on stage telling jokes. Does that translate well to sketch comedy? Not always.
Pretty much most of the SNL guys who end up doing movies/other TV shows all had a unique identities. One of my favorites is Will Forte.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad