TV: SNL Season 48

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
This is what comedians do for a living. It is a fact that they write their own monologues.
and if you have read books on the the show, you know that 99% regardless who hosts--the writer build a framework for the host to do the monologue.

most standups have writers on their payroll to write their routines. Bruce Vilanch is one of the more famous writers who worked for some of the biggest standups of all time.

I will use Jerry Seinfield as an example --he has a very famous writer who he worked with for about 20 years. Seinfield tells a story of how the two got together--Seinfeild was good on the stage but his material was lacking and the writer has great material but lacks stage presence---match made in heaven

Paul Mooney is another guy--not great on the stage--but he wrote for Murphy, Prior and Redd Foxx. He did stand up--but he was more known for who he worked with

George Carlin admitted that he had hired guns for some of his stuff when he was touring and other stuff, where he could not take 6 months to create a new routine.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
and if you have read books on the the show, you know that 99% regardless who hosts--the writer build a framework for the host to do the monologue.

most standups have writers on their payroll to write their routines. Bruce Vilanch is one of the more famous writers who worked for some of the biggest standups of all time.

I will use Jerry Seinfield as an example --he has a very famous writer who he worked with for about 20 years. Seinfield tells a story of how the two got together--Seinfeild was good on the stage but his material was lacking and the writer has great material but lacks stage presence---match made in heaven

Paul Mooney is another guy--not great on the stage--but he wrote for Murphy, Prior and Redd Foxx. He did stand up--but he was more known for who he worked with

George Carlin admitted that he had hired guns for some of his stuff when he was touring and other stuff, where he could not take 6 months to create a new routine.
Now you are changing the subject. We are talking about famous comedians writing their own monologues for SNL not ones who use ghost writers. Paul Mooney not great on stage? That's a first. Do you honestly think Bill Burr is going to let someone else write his material? There is a reason when comedians host SNL the monologues are 2 to 3 times as long as say an actor, or who ever is hosting. Not giving a comedian credit for coming up with a 10-15 minute set for live TV is blasphemy. Would you say those same comedians had help writing 5 minute sets when they went on the tonight show, Letterman?

What book did you read where it states SNL sketch writers which is different than stand up help write monologues for comedians? Ben Afflek, sure, Selena Gomez, of course, but Dave Chappelle?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
There’s no question that when guys like Chappelle and Mulaney host, they don’t have anyone helping with the monologue. It’s all them.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
I believe Steve Martin and Woody Allen are the most famous stand ups who git their start writing jokes/skits for other comics. Martin talked about getting 25 bucks a joke before getting on stage himself

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
There’s no question that when guys like Chappelle and Mulaney host, they don’t have anyone helping with the monologue. It’s all them.

Mulaney was a writer for SNL. I totally agree.

When Chappelle hosts SNL it turns into an episode of Chappelle Show. Not necessarily a bad thing, but that week definitely ends up being run by him. Typically the host comes in and the writers pitch ideas, but Chappelle comes in with his own ideas. The longer "stand up" style opening monologue. The Chappelle Show character parade. The introduction of skits from the stage. Black Heaven with Mikey Day in Chappelle's spot*. All of that comes from Dave and his team. The regular writers can pretty much take the week off.

Mulaney is a different experience since he was a writer at SNL and doesn't have the same extensive "sketch" background like the Chappelle Show. He clearly likes doing the large musical numbers, which in my opinion are always great, but he definitely seems to lean more into the actual SNL format than Dave does.

*This skit did have the best line of the week with "You were on season one of Wild N Out, didn't you learn anything?"

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Chappelle is clearly better at SNL than SNL is. Potato Hole was hilarious.

I actually saw Dave Chappelle on his come back tour at Just For laughs in Montreal years back. That show eneded up being parts to his Netflix series which was a bummer but he did say the 60 million Netflix gave him were all old shit he already had written.

Reactions: Rodgerwilco

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Yeah, she wasn’t there the first three episodes of the season, and then leaves before Christmas. I like that she got a proper goodbye because not everyone gets that.

I think it is more than that. End of last season, last episode was all about Kate M saying goodbye and I think having two staples having a goodbye in the same show would have been stretching things. The others who left were not at the same level as Kate and Strong. I think she came back just to get a solo send off and not have tied in with the others

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax

Personally this year’s cast is probably my favourite in a while in terms of how well rounded it is. Having new faces really breathed some fresh life to the show.

Reactions: Primary Assist

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Best Coast

Personally this year’s cast is probably my favourite in a while in terms of how well rounded it is. Having new faces really breathed some fresh life to the show.
yeah made a comment in a different thread, the writing is way better. I think it has more to do with the tone they're going for than the talent, but it's on a good trajectory. The last few years were just horrible sketches, other than the occasional ones where Kate just slayed

Say Hey Kid

MI retired Nick Saban
Dec 10, 2007
Bathory, GA
1681381190084.png

"One of her first claims was that God does not like homosexuals, nor does he apparently like pride. “Like, one of the most things he hates is pride,” Jackson said in a confident manner. She carried on by citing different Bible verses, adding, “Proverbs 11:12: When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.”

I realize hate is irrational. This person is so uneducated they're taking Bible quotes about pride and somehow thinking they have something to do with gay people.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
View attachment 687188

"One of her first claims was that God does not like homosexuals, nor does he apparently like pride. “Like, one of the most things he hates is pride,” Jackson said in a confident manner. She carried on by citing different Bible verses, adding, “Proverbs 11:12: When pride comes, then comes disgrace, but with humility comes wisdom. The Lord detests all the proud of heart. Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished.”

I realize hate is irrational. This person is so uneducated they're taking Bible quotes about pride and somehow thinking they have something to do with gay people.

This is when you realize that Victoria Jackson wasn't just ditzy on the show.

Reactions: Jussi

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4